Am I mad....advice please. Going from a 16 plate M140i to RS3 8P

CharlieC1985

Reaction score
Firstly hi all, I have just signed up so this is my first post. I have been a VW / Audi nut since a teenager, my dad always drive quattros, my first car was a mk2 golf and have owned every Mark since. With that a number of Audi’s in the Mix too.

So to cut a long story short, a car I have always wanted to own is an RS3 8P and looked for months for a decent one missing out on my perfect spec with buckets in grey with black pack early this year. Really frustrated after offering a deposit over the phone and they said not to worry but sold it anyway! So my hunt went on, test drove many cars inc golf R 7 and Bmw M140i as they get so many great reviews. After months of looking I got fed up of tracking down my ideal rs3 so I purchased a 16 plate fully specced M140i. Great value, very fast and is a nutter of a car. However....it doesn’t quite scratch the itch because each day I find myself looks at RS3’s online! So the big question is, do I purchase an rs3 8p because I’m having to go 4 years older than my current car with little tech inside or do I wait until I can afford the 8V which will be somepoint next year? I do prefer the front end of the 8p compared to the 8v and am a strong believer it will be a future classic.
I do usually buy cars with a sunroof so it’s a stumbling block with the 8p but the 5 cylinder noise certainly makes up for it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks Charlie.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Firstly hi all, I have just signed up so this is my first post. I have been a VW / Audi nut since a teenager, my dad always drive quattros, my first car was a mk2 golf and have owned every Mark since. With that a number of Audi’s in the Mix too.

So to cut a long story short, a car I have always wanted to own is an RS3 8P and looked for months for a decent one missing out on my perfect spec with buckets in grey with black pack early this year. Really frustrated after offering a deposit over the phone and they said not to worry but sold it anyway! So my hunt went on, test drove many cars inc golf R 7 and Bmw M140i as they get so many great reviews. After months of looking I got fed up of tracking down my ideal rs3 so I purchased a 16 plate fully specced M140i. Great value, very fast and is a nutter of a car. However....it doesn’t quite scratch the itch because each day I find myself looks at RS3’s online! So the big question is, do I purchase an rs3 8p because I’m having to go 4 years older than my current car with little tech inside or do I wait until I can afford the 8V which will be somepoint next year? I do prefer the front end of the 8p compared to the 8v and am a strong believer it will be a future classic.
I do usually buy cars with a sunroof so it’s a stumbling block with the 8p but the 5 cylinder noise certainly makes up for it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks Charlie.
I would say wait untill you have the funds for the right car you want otherwise you will kick youself for not wait that extra year to save for it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: CharlieC1985
Thanks Martin, That is the best idea however I’m a little inpatient sometimes. My wife thinks I should wait too but there is something about the 8p that I love and can’t ignore!

8p RS3 is still a great car. If you can find one with GSH , decent mileage and in good condition then why not go for it. Soon-to-be buying an older motor isn't a bad thing .

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

I would wait best to save and get the car you really want.

I had a 2012 RS3 8P. Had many issues with it. Engine sounds like a diesel on tick over, completely normal. Check on start up while it's on 'choke' rev it to just over 2k and listen for chain rattle. This is the low pressure oil pump not working properly. It's a simple fix. A ecu upgrade makes the car start in high pressure eliminating the rattle. Check the boot seal. They can leak and water will be inside the trim. Also check that the rear number plate fixing is the original as there are holes left if the fixings have been changed. Replace the front brake pads with ebc red stuff before you put the car in a wall. They are rubbish brakes. Somehow the discs and pads are not matched very well. Make sure it's had all recalls and had regular reputable servicing. 1 gear through to 3rd in auto are not the smoothest but very acceptable. Check the alloys. £114 an alloy to get diamond cut. Get it mapped to 400bhp and fit a milltek and you'll not look back.

I do agree and think the 8p will become a future classic as well. Happy choosing!

Like the OP i too have been fighting with the thought do i stop doing things to my S3 8P and just buy the Rs3 but it would need be a 8P model as the newer model in my opinion just isn't mean enough looking .
But what is really holding me back is i haven't seen any Rs3 8P or 8V in either Imola yellow ( like my S3 ) or in Viper Green so i guess depending what comes sooner Audi come out with those both colours for Rs3 or i find the RS3 8P parts i need to convert mine to look like one

Thanks Martin, That is the best idea however I’m a little inpatient sometimes. My wife thinks I should wait too but there is something about the 8p that I love and can’t ignore!

Had my 8P RS3 for 7-years now Charlie and have 'considered' changing to each and every new-edition but there's always more I prefer about the 8P RS3 we have than anything new on offer. And the car has been perfect with nothing untoward other than the easily fixed low-speed brake squeal. Always intended to keep ours for 10-years, always was the plan.

Back in 2011 (Wednesday 12th October 2011) we saw and test-drove our first 8P RS3 at Stafford Audi, tried to order new and all were sold. So we found just two available here in the UK and purchased one of 'em on Saturday the 15th. Took all but 3-days, and we still have the car

RS3 Sales Capture

Let me know if I can help Charlie, I still have ALL the brochures in pdf form: the 8P RS3 is a cracker... :superman:

Last edited: