Am I mad? 3.0tdi to S4?

Telboy

Reaction score
So I have a 16 plate b9 A4 3.0TDI saloon, mapped to 320ish and 700ishNM, currently on 17k miles and returns a healthy 44mpg long term average.

I've worked out the man maths and for a £100 a month more, I can px the car in for a very healthy spec S4 with everything bar the HUD. (which I currently have and do admit enjoy having)

Current A4 is a blast, great in gear performance and great mpg on a long run with it easily achieving 55mpg.

I came from an M140 so do miss the inline 6 petrol, appreciate the V6 in the S4 is a little different in character to an M140 and indeed to a V6 TDI although it got me thinking, am I mad to swap to an S4, pay out over £100 a month or is life just too short not to?

Would really welcome your opinions on this, good and bad so I can try and either convince myself to stay with the TDI or jump to the S4??

Help,.....!!!!!!!!!

I will start with your comment 'life is too short', let me explain from my point of view. I came from an Audi A6 BiTdi with 320 hp and loads of torque to an audi s4 estate. Why did I do this? Well partly because life is too short and for me diesel and I never got on.

I had many cars over the years and all the diesel cars had the shortest lifespan in terms of me keeping them, I tried to convince myself that fuel economy etc.. was the way to go.

But when you do the maths then the difference is not huge between the petrol vs diesel when comparing same engine capacity. I would say that with the traffic today then diesel did not pay for itself for me as diesel is really poor on mpg if you are in slow traffic.

To conclude you are not mad and I would jump if the monthly payments are well within your budget and you are not struggling every month, however if you are and the additional £100 stretches you then stay with you diesel.

Go for it, I did in march with two new petrol cars and I am not going back to diesel.

Shaun

Life is too short, however you are giving a lot of love to your Tdi in your post. Does the £100 a month include the extra fuel and premium car tax (which works out at about £20 per month it's self).

Although you'll be getting some different engines characteristics it's not as if your getting a shiny new B9 coming from a B8 or something. It will look virtually the same inside (And not a massive amount different outside either) . Unless you change your spec seems like you'll miss the HUD to !

Others might say lifes to short to pour money into cars. Maybe in a years time you man maths might work out how much is needed to get into 'another car'.

As said previous, lifes to short but think it through a little more too before jumping on an urge.

Totally agree with both, TipToe and SimonB1975.

Easy to see the attraction of the S4, however the reason the TDI is getting so much love is simply because it's a great car.

The £100 a month includes my business mileage rates, tax etc etc,

Me thinks I'll have to do some more of just that, serious thinking :)

If that £100 is all in then that might make it a little easier

Quite frankly. looking at your spec in your signature, apart from changing to an Avant, I'd be happy as is.

I always think "what else would I do with that hundred quid?" If it's pay bills, look after the kids, pension and stuff like that then it's harder to justify. If it's pissups and parties then.... :D

Good luck either way!

Reactions: Simonb1975
Had a V6 Tdi A7 then moved to an M135i (month before the M140i) was released so couldn't say no as it was a steal.

Currently have a 67 plate S4 Avant, different too the M135i, feels more planted, not as economical as the BMW but if it's only £1,200 a year which given the S4 should hold to its value greater and the unknown impact on diesel through taxation I would say JUMP

Good luck.

IMG 1531

Reactions: JRO
So I have a 16 plate b9 A4 3.0TDI saloon, mapped to 320ish and 700ishNM, currently on 17k miles and returns a healthy 44mpg long term average.

I've worked out the man maths and for a £100 a month more, I can px the car in for a very healthy spec S4 with everything bar the HUD. (which I currently have and do admit enjoy having)

Current A4 is a blast, great in gear performance and great mpg on a long run with it easily achieving 55mpg.

I came from an M140 so do miss the inline 6 petrol, appreciate the V6 in the S4 is a little different in character to an M140 and indeed to a V6 TDI although it got me thinking, am I mad to swap to an S4, pay out over £100 a month or is life just too short not to?

Would really welcome your opinions on this, good and bad so I can try and either convince myself to stay with the TDI or jump to the S4??

Help,.....!!!!!!!!!
Thought I was the only one on the forum with a mapped 272! How do u find it? N which tuner did u go with for this?

Can understand why your considering the change! I too am considering an s5 coupe to upgrade to soon.

Bit concerned with the jump down on torque but am a big fan of the sound, sounds better to my ears than the new rs5.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Thought I was the only one on the forum with a mapped 272! How do u find it? N which tuner did u go with for this?

Can understand why your considering the change! I too am considering an s5 coupe to upgrade to soon.

Bit concerned with the jump down on torque but am a big fan of the sound, sounds better to my ears than the new rs5.

I went racechip route, they actually quote +72bhp and 133nm increase, so effectively 345bhp and 733nm, however feels slower than that at the moment. Great punch from standstill and she just pulls so hard all the way through, great lump of additional torque on top of the huge amount of torque already there. As she is, don't believe real world she'd be slower than an S4 now.

Most trips now she achieves later 40's/early 50's mpg with ease.

S4 would be a good £100-125 a month more after looking closer at the deal and working all costs into the equation and with a long term average of 30mpg would make things little harder to swallow.

Plus the wife fancies a trip to New York so after all that, the car might have to wait.

Agree re the noise, the S4 is just great and I would love to have the S4, however the margin is just getting too big to consider now, even with me throwing in my best man maths!!

Reactions: syed123
I went racechip route, they actually quote +72bhp and 133nm increase, so effectively 345bhp and 733nm, however feels slower than that at the moment. Great punch from standstill and she just pulls so hard all the way through, great lump of additional torque on top of the huge amount of torque already there. As she is, don't believe real world she'd be slower than an S4 now.

Most trips now she achieves later 40's/early 50's mpg with ease.

S4 would be a good £100-125 a month more after looking closer at the deal and working all costs into the equation and with a long term average of 30mpg would make things little harder to swallow.

Plus the wife fancies a trip to New York so after all that, the car might have to wait.

Agree re the noise, the S4 is just great and I would love to have the S4, however the margin is just getting too big to consider now, even with me throwing in my best man maths!!
Ohh right I see! I went through TDI tuning and they quoted 320ps 700nm (believable) as the 0 60 times with LC has gone down to the low 4s and mid 4s using kickdown. I agree it does just keep pulling!

£100 extra a month is pretty steep tbh.. I personally wouldn't go for that as despite the power increase of an odd 30bhp it will be 200nm down on torque would be noticeable.

Performance wise compared to an s4 I think it would be quite evenly matched in the straights and superior in the mid range due to extra torque.

Still can't get enough of that sound though!