Am i asking too much for my car?

I don't think anybody's assumed anything so far, other than the fact you didn'r realise what BNP stands for.

I know what BNP stands for and at no point have i said otherwise, what i did say was that i've never heard of combat 18!!!

Anyway, back on topic, am i asking too much for my car, is £8500 a fair price? Forget about the number plate as that can be removed if needed :icon_thumright:

S3-ROB said:
Anyway, back on topic, am i asking too much for my car, is £8500 a fair price? Forget about the number plate as that can be removed if needed :icon_thumright:

Fair price in my opinion, patience is key though, it's a buyers market out there, and fellow members telling you they are getting better deals than you doesn't help lol.

Just get It re-mapped!! You like your cars by the sounds of things and the image of the type R chav is not sweet!!.Plus if you get a type R you'll have to join a new forum and buy a hoody! Plus it'll never be a bike so keep the s3 and get a GSXR 1000.

Been offered a fresh import Impreza STI in part ex but there not for me.

May end up keeping the car as i don't want to take any less than £8500 and there is nothing wrong with the car i just think a type r would be more fun and more reliable with alot less to go wrong with it, no cambelt, no turbo, no haldex system etc

Plus it'll never be a bike so keep the s3 and get a GSXR 1000

Sold my CBR600 earlier in the year and because a friend of mine got killed on his bike 6 months ago my girlfriend and family have banned me from buying another so the type r is as close as i'll get

i didnt know qot every1 was goin on about, thoght it was s3 rob...s3 BNP....hahaha, no wonder it aint selling!

There are so many variations of S3's for sale at the moment that it is hard to say really! There also seems to be a lot of choice for them at the moment and thus a lot of cars that aren't selling!

I am currently looking for an s3, but want something with 60k or less really, as I do quite a few miles, and I know that in 3 years time, I will have put 40k on it, and a 140k car ent guna sell for much!

There are also the stupidly good ads on pistonheads etc at the mo, such as a 2002 s3 in moro blue, cream heated leather, heated seats, arm rest, cruise control, only 63k, and best of all, he only wants £8450 for it!

Now im not saying that yours is overpriced, but I think that you should be slightly flexable, and losing the sale for £100 is never a great thing to do, you could have said make it £8450 and its a deal.... whats £50 to people in this day and age?

just my 2p....:)

Now im not saying that yours is overpriced, but I think that you should be slightly flexable, and losing the sale for £100 is never a great thing to do, you could have said make it £8450 and its a deal.... whats £50 to people in this day and age?

Not desperate to sell so don't really need to take offers, the reason i said no is because the ad said no offers and the guy rang me and offered £8000 without even seeing the car, he then rang back at £8300 then again at £8400 and what really made me say no was that he said he lives over 200 miles away and it was going to cost £100 in petrol so £8400 is his maximum, thats like he wants me to pay for his petrol, now if i ring a gargage for a new tyre i don't get it £5 cheaper just because i'll use £5 worth of petrol to get down there, if the guy wasn't such a pain in the *** i'd have taken the offer but because he was so annoying i said no.

I am currently looking for an s3, but want something with 60k or less really, as I do quite a few miles, and I know that in 3 years time, I will have put 40k on it, and a 140k car ent guna sell for much!

I see what your saying but i see some 52 reg S3's with 40-60k miles going for £11-12k so think mine is well priced, i'd rather have a 5 year old car with 90k miles than an 8 year old W or X reg with 50k as i think age is more important than miles, the 5 year old year will have 3 winters less salt and frost on it (unless garaged)

I know a S3 with 140k won't get top money but you would (or should) have got it cheap in the first place so you'll lose no more than buying low miles then selling with high miles

I just think a car should be bought on condition and price not mileage, alot of people are willing to pay well over the odds for low miles thinking it will be a perfect car and its not like that, i'm an mot tester so see all sorts of cars daily, i've seen low mileage cars need welding and recently tested a R reg passat tdi with 187k miles with no rust and passed with no problems.

The lowest mileage car i've ever owned was a 51 reg Golf GTI turbo with 63k on it

Here are my thoughts.
a) You don't actually want to sell it deep down so perhaps just get the re-map
b) I wouldn’t advertise it saying that the belt snap as it's like selling a house and in the particulars saying has been underpinned...let them fall in love with it first
c) No offers would put people off so I would change it
d) Regarding the private plate I would change it back and put the private plate on E-bay to hopefully to cover transfer fee

Now I am not saying this is the case as I think you have priced it about right, but be careful of the reasoning "I am not in a rush to sell" in relation to a price that buyers may feel is a little high.......sellers must realise that cars depreciate every month, regardless of how clean, tidy well specc'd they are, even if they dont turn a wheel. Your S3 is "worth" at least £150 less this month than last, proabably nearer £250. I agree you need to get enought potential buyers to look and consider it, but if it is not worth £8500 this month, it wont be next, that's for sure.
BUt as I say, I think your price is about right, your idea of saying £8750 ONO would probably work though! Its a psychological thing! :)

If your car is isnt selling- its over priced! simple really! I dont understand why you wouldnt take 100 pound less than your asking price if your wanting to get rid of your car?
Thats a good price i would of took it.

I always cringe when I see this in adverts:

"SINCE I'VE OWNED THE CAR ITS ONLY EVER BEEN RAN ON SHELL V POWER, GARAGED EVERY NIGHT, DRIVEN GENTLY WHEN ENGINE COLD AND ALLOWED TO TICK OVER FOR AT LEAST 30 SECONDS BEFORE ENGINE SWITCHED OFF"

Just seems like your trying to hide something regardless of whether you are or not.

Ive just sold two cars so I'll share my experience's.

I put a TDI Passat Estate on Ebay, the exposure and amount of people that viewed (nearly 1500 hits!) or had the car on 'watching' was amazing, I also just sold my Golf GTI which I put in Autotrader, didnt hear anything for the first 3 weeks, had it advertised for £17k which was really good value imo, after three weeks some guy rang me up and haggled me down to £16800, he then paid me £50 and the train fare home to deliver it to Bristol. Of course the advert in Autotrader ran for the full six weeks (couldnt be bothered cancelling it) and I had loads of calls in the last two weeks, sort of wish I'd waited now but hindsights a great thing.

Pistonheads didnt get me anywhere but then again its free so cant complain.

Ebay cost me about £20 (might be a bit higher for yourself due to different values) and Autotrader was £35 for 6 weeks on their website.

If I was in your position I would try Ebay first, if it doesnt get high enough then Im sure you can end the auction or *coughfixitsomewaycough*.

Nice car btw, Im after a CTR as well, preferably a white import which seem to be quite rareish...

Well, thanks for all the opinions everyone, i'll let you know how i get on in a few weeks.

unkle said:
Nice car btw, Im after a CTR as well, preferably a white import which seem to be quite rareish...

There's like maybe 5 at most in the UK, and it should have the K20 unit from the DC5 Integra which has 225PS out the box!

S3-ROB said:
SIMCH - You've actually seen the car if you remember? :icon_thumright:

Course, I got the wheel off you didn't I!? How's the world of tyres and exhausts!!? :)

Course, I got the wheel off you didn't I!? How's the world of tyres and exhausts!!? :)

Thats the one, you bought the S3 wheel off me 4-5 months ago.

Business slow at the min, i always find we get busy at the end of the month, either because people get paid then or because they get there road tax reminder, realise there MOT ran out months ago and have a last minute panic?

jojo said:
There's like maybe 5 at most in the UK, and it should have the K20 unit from the DC5 Integra which has 225PS out the box!

Yes Im very well aware of both these facts Jojo :D

They are like rocking horse do-do at the moment, I sort of have a budget for around 9k to spend but they seem to all be advertised around the 10k and tbh 1k more gets me an Integra with lsd and loads of other gubbins so will wait and see.

Ok, after reading all your comments i've edited my ad slightly and hope its worded better? :icon_thumright:

Dave_Bayern said:
Biggest concentration of combat 18 members in Derbyshire.
There was a programme on the tv about these lot,Ilkeston,Cotmonhay and Langley Mill are the best places to advertise the reg if you want to sell it seperately.
Should get good money around them parts.

Hi

I dont think the over pricing is thr issue.
Its more the time of the year and the market and running costs.

Its close to xmas in which its harder to sell cars then
petrol prices on the up. I spoke to my local garage who advised there is a low demand for high peformance petrol cars due to petrol prices and it being winter. The demand is for powerful diesels like your tdi golfs etc.

Im looking at selling mine in which im not going to bother with the auto trader as it will be hard to sell so im taking it to the auction or my garage might buy it off me.

the trade price is 8k and the retail is 10.5k for mine (2002 52 black s3 with 80k, needs mot but only needs rear pads and discs) the auction said i should get 8k easy less the £400 fee)

hope that helps you

I dont think the over pricing is thr issue.
Its more the time of the year and the market and running costs.

Its close to xmas in which its harder to sell cars then
petrol prices on the up. I spoke to my local garage who advised there is a low demand for high peformance petrol cars due to petrol prices and it being winter. The demand is for powerful diesels like your tdi golfs etc.

Thanks for that mate, i see what your saying and agree 100%

Well, the car sold last night for full asking price so i can now look for my civic type r :icon_thumright:

Well done you rice loving traitor you!!

Thanks, i think? :icon_thumright:

Never had a jap car before so its something different.