Aluminium gear knob or the regular one?

Stig555

Reaction score
Just wondering, should I spec the aluminium gear knob? Or stay with the regular leather wrapped one?
The Aluminium knob seems a little thin in the photos I've seen. What are your thoughts?

For me it would be leather one then get alloy one cheaper on eBay

I like the standard one I think it looks better. But it's a personal choice.

I like the standard one I think it looks better. But it's a personal choice.
Well having just driven 100 miles home in my new S1 with an aluminium gear knob, I can honestly say its a massive bonus. Only takes a few shifts to realise that nothing else will do. Just feels pure quality.

Reactions: gingers3
Lammer how does it compare to the standard one?

I've had the aluminum Quattro gear lever and it's a no brainer it's miles better.
It feels better and looks better and matches the circular controls on the dash.
I paid about £76 on eBay about 6 months ago.
Don't know about it being thin it's just quality and perfect fit.
Dont talk yourself out of it you know if your thinking about it you want it!!!
Get it bought!

Reactions: DTYME83 and gingers3
Anyone got a picture of the gear lever please

Anyone got a picture of the gear lever please
Here u go - compares to the controls on the dash perfectly.

I'm not feeling the aluminium knob. Think I'll go for the 'regular' one. It looks too thin.

I've tried both (standard in the test drive) but then bought the aluminium one. It goes with the alu vents I specced, too.

I think it looks and feels much more expensive, and I think it really sets the interior off.

Reactions: DTYME83 and gingers3
i think the slloy one is much better a little mod which makes the s1 bit more special

Mine came with the standard leather one.
After driving with it for 2 days, I bought the aluminium one. Its far better.

Reactions: DTYME83
I can't remember which one my new one has, I would assume the leather one.

I'll check when I pick it up.

Does anyone have a link to where I can buy the aluminium one and I may upgrade it.

Also is it easily changed?

Its very easily changed. Do a search on here and youll find a link to show you and where to buy it.

The Aluminium knob is ****** cold to touch in the Winter.

leather is also cold in the winter :tongueclosed:. The aluminium one will out last the leather one, its worth buying.
DTYME83

Picked my car up yesterday and it has the leather knob.

It's nice enough but I've ordered the aluminium one from Ebay as I think it looks much nicer.

How much are they going for on ebay? Did you buy an oem one?

Ordered on Tuesday from Germany and received today, excellent service.

The clip is a pain to fit so I just bought a jubilee clip and used that instead.

Definitely worth the cash, feels and looks great.

I took mine to audi they had a special audi tool to squeeze it they did it free of charge.
Yes it is a pain!

just wondering how much your looking at on eBay when I've searched there coming in at ridiculous amounts . wish I went for the aluminium now

on eBay that is ill have word with audio cars going back on way back home from holiday brakes are squeaking and rubbing . and clunk's when reversing I've heard it's something to do with the 4wd

On eBay from euro parts but definitely£138 including vat from Audi.

Cheers bud I'm trying to upload pics of the car but saying file to big everytime

Wrong forum but any self respecting MGTF owner would tell you, no to an aluminium gear knob...too cold in winter! you'll have to invest in gloves!

Mine came with the leather knob and I changed it for the aluminium one with a few weeks. The latter is much better for me, heavier and feels more substantial on the gear shifts.