Alternator troubles

Ian_83

Reaction score
When I did the thermostat the other day, the wire off the alternator was in the way, so I figured, why not remove it. As I undid the nut, it got stuck on the end and tried to take the stud with it. Obviously this is the positive feed to the battery, which means its not charging. Can I take the plastic housing off it, reinsert the stud, replace the housing then the wire and that should be it? Or do I need to remove the whole alternator to replace this stud?

Be carefully the stud may be connected to the rectifier module some are and some have a flying lead inside. You will need to remove the end cover to see what has happened to it and reassemble after sorting it.

will do! Hope that's not the case, going to get up early tomorrow and try it before work. Any idea how the plastic housing comes off? From what i've seen on the net theres a dozen different types of alternators anyway

Can't get the housing off without removing the alternator, ive removed the throttle body for better access, undid the two 13m bolts on the alternator, where do I do from here? I take it there's a tensioner or something for the belt i need to remove first?

Got it off, the bolt which the nut goes onto for the battery feed is splined into a plate, seems as if the splines have broken! Giving a very intermittent connection.