Alternatives to methanol

Scullies

Reaction score
Well meth seems pretty difficult to find around these parts of the world. They guys who sell it don't seem to carry stock.
so I have been interwebbing and seems that a few people use ethyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) as an alternative to meth.
now the ethyl alcohol I can get its 70% alcohol, the other 30% seems to be a mix of water and meth to poison the ethyl alcohol so you can't drink it.
Has anyone here ever used ethyl alcohol? Do you think it's safe to use with some distiller water?

these guys say ethanol has more bang per unit than meth does
What Type Of Fluids Can I Use With My Water Methanol Injection System

Ethanol is what is in E85 pump fuel as used in the US. hence the E.
i suppose theres no reason why not. But im no chemist

ethanol has the same RON rating as meth.

Last edited:
Watch Breaking Bad, might get some pointers from that :p

Interesting thread. I've got a meth man quite close to me so not a problem plus I've made 25 litres last over a year due to hardly driving the car.

I'll keep an eye on this thread though.

problem with ethanol, and you may already know that the yanks running E85 have twice the fuel system setups, is that it produces less energy per unit than conventional fuel, so requires more of it, hence why when you convert your car to run on ethanol you need much bigger injectors, 1000cc in place of 630cc for example.

i dont know how this will effect things if you're just injecting a mist WMI style, probably not very much. But it might affect things if you start to use more and more of it as an additive to conventional petrol.

based on the RON numbers alone though, it should offer the same octane benefits as methanol. and probably the same cooling effects when mixed with water.

Reactions: Scullies
The major down fall with ethanol is when it's concentrated it eats away at pipes and hoses.