Alternatives to ds2500

slowcoach3

Reaction score
I need to replace the front pads on my s3 with lcr brembos, a few years ago I would have just put some ds2500 on bit times have moved on and I keep hearing that they're not all that anymore. I don't track my car, it does get a fair amount of late night b road action though and has the family in it at weekends. I'm looking for something with a strong initial bite, doesn't fade too much but is also useful when cold. Does a pad exist and does anyone have any recommendations? Cheers Russ

ds2500's have'nt changed at all... lol..
they still work fine, as you have experienced for a "few years"

Bill, I didn't mean that the compound had been changed and wasn't as good, I meant that whenever they're mentioned now people seem to have found alternatives that are better.
I don't need or want hard-core track pads as they're overkill and won't suit my from cold needs.
I had read that red stuff etc had improved and no longer fall apart, they're actually more cash than ds2500 and I'd trust the Ferodo more!

I don't understand these brake pad threads , the OP says it's not going on the track , yet people have suggested two full on racing pads :scared2:

I don't understand these brake pad threads , the OP says it's not going on the track , yet people have suggested two full on racing pads :scared2:

The pads the OP has are not technically road pads are they? Aren't DS2500 and DS3000 both classed as "competition/track pads" but we still use them for road use, doesn't mean they're not suitable does it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm referring to Ferodo DS1. 11 and CL Braking RC6 .

Ferodo themselves say DS3000 isn't suitable for the road .

2017 10 20 195735

DS1.11's are perfectly acceptable cold (felt no different to the std brakes on the A2) and pull your face off when warmed up... they are deemed not suitable for the road as they exceed the Reg 90 OE friction coefficient....

In the case of DS1.11's they quite aggressive but are the most confidence inspiring pad under any braking situation I have ever used...

Would happily use them again if it wasn't for the fallout on the wheels...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: slowcoach3

It's like when somebody asks 'what oil do I use?' and people start mentioning centistokes...

Reactions: superkarl
A very kind gent offered me a set of ds1.11 for a good price but I'm crap at cleaning my wheels anyway , bought another set of ds2500 instead. I can never quite trust ebc as there's been so much negativity over the years.
My pads are so ineffectual now that even euro specials would be an improvement.
Now I just have to work out how to fit the pads lol

The EBC negativaty is very old news now , EBC continually evolved their formulas , early were shocking , whereas Ferodo to my knowledge never changed .

Plenty of Redstuff happy bunnies here and a respected ASN moderator who took his front only Redstuff around Combe with limited success ( not a track pad ) said " they will do everything you want out on the road. "

because if you had read it he says he's been running DS2500's !!!!!
thats the clue - non std pads is his basis.. and wants something comparable/"better"

The EBC negativaty is very old news now , EBC continually evolved their formulas , early were shocking , whereas Ferodo to my knowledge never changed .

Plenty of Redstuff happy bunnies here and a respected ASN moderator who took his front only Redstuff around Combe with limited success ( not a track pad ) said " they will do everything you want out on the road. "
EBC = wooden pads..
but cheap.
use yellows in my S6 for no other reason than the RS6 brakes need 8 pads and they were cheap.
Good they were not.. adequate for a tow car which gets no grief they were.

DS2500 has always been a fast road / track day pad are they R90 ? , so the recommendation of a race pad when there is no track is OTT .

The race pads coefficient may be higher than R90 but being higher they will trigger undesirable earlier lock up / ABS activation .

I've had DS2500 , Yellowstuff and Redstuff all on the S14 within a year and I settled for Redstuff .

DS2500 has always been a fast road / track day pad are they R90 ? , so the recommendation of a race pad when there is no track is OTT .

The race pads coefficient may be higher than R90 but being higher they will trigger undesirable earlier lock up / ABS activation .

I've had DS2500 , Yellowstuff and Redstuff all on the S14 within a year and I settled for Redstuff .
you talk a lot of crap from your desktop expertise & google research..
making up "excuses" to fit your "opinion" which is just that, your opinion.

Reactions: SamHendry
Of course it's just my opinion .

Race pads for racing on the track , ECE R90 road pads for the road , simples !

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but your constant banging on about it and and seemingly religious attempts to force your opinions on others regurgitating stuff you have read about comes across like you are a recruiting for a cult than somebody just offering advice based on their own experiences...

You also don't appear to take into account the subjectiveness of the situation... people all drive differently... they want different things out of aspects of driving... just because pads that exceed Reg90 tend to incite ABS more than Reg90 pads do doesn't mean its a bad thing... this is no different to the pointless discussion over turbo lag on big turbo conversions... learn to drive!... simples :)

Your experiences lead you down a path where you found Redstuff to be your preference... thank you for sharing your opinion and your experience...

Unless you are willing to fit larger brake setups to compensate for lack of overall braking efficiency as you increase the performance of your car (as OE's tend to do) then the only thing left is to improve the performance of the parts you have to give you the confidence in your ability to brake based on how you drive... this generally means looking at areas that 'exceed' the normal rules OE's follow...

Lets face it its no different to tuning... you want 400hp... you either take a 1.8 4 pot and fit a bigger turbo (and all the extras needed to make it work) or you get something with a V8 in it that will breeze 400 easily...

(opinion alert!)
Having used various road, fast road and race pads over the years I found that using ECP sourced Pagid road pads great for when I was running my engine in and plodding about at normo levels of driving... and by this I mean still traveling at speed but braking a mile before the corner etc...

Once the boost was turned up I found the 'R90' pads didn't give me the confidence I needed to brake later into corners which is more my 'normal' driving style... bare in mind I am still not driving 'fast' but as my car is modified I can go round corners at road legal speeds where others normally slow right down..

I have used DS2500's and while they would work they didn't give me the confidence I wanted to suit my driving style...

Looking at the specs (you are not the only one) the choice was between larger rotors and 6 pots, or my current setup with DS1.11's or DS3000's...

Specs are on Ferodo's website for all to see but what swayed my choice to DS1.11's was the graph below...
DS2500vs.jpg

I won't bang on about it though as you can come to your own conclusions but if it wasn't for the crappy fallout issue I'd be running DS1.11's all day long... they work for 'me'...

The Mintex M1155's I am currently using appear to be ok but don't fill me with the confidence I had with the DS1.11's... if I can find a solution to make the fallout more manageable then I will happily go back to DS1.11's...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3 Hilife and slowcoach3
It's a shame about the fall out as any true performance pad has , bigger brakes absolutely , they'll trash any race pad in std set up , real leverage physics at play .

Of course it's just my opinion .

Race pads for racing on the track , ECE R90 road pads for the road , simples !
and for the ORIGINAL POSTERS questions...
let me remind YOU...

Alternatives to ds2500

The folks on here modify cars..
They add power
They want Better then OE often as a consequence..

Simply saying stick to Reg90 oe spec pads is just daft. By definition they can't be different to std by more than 15%, as stupid as Reg90 is..
Pads which exceed OE on modified cars should be applauded.. Far safer than falling off the road because you ****** your std pads on a modified car.

Simples..

Reactions: S3 Hilife
But we have the extremities of the wacky racers recommending race pads everytime for the road which is daft .

Like I said there are plenty of happy Redstuff users , RS3 , 400 bhp 3.0 tdi's etc without the horrendous dust going on their shinny silver alloys.

Would appear the OP has tired of the discussion a couple of days ago and bought DS2500's again...

<tuffty/>

I didn't tire tuffty, it's only just got amusing :) Choices that are similar to ds2500 in effectiveness, overall performance, dust and price seems to come down to red stuff which I'm not particularly enthusiastic about. Seems a step up otherwise to more "full on" race pads.
One of the first thing I updated while chasing power was my brakes to lcr brembos to cope with a heavy car and 300+ bhp. Now having a family I also need to think sensibly and have something I don't need to warm up to get effective... don't want to scare little one just to get heat in my pads - she already comments on how fast my car is! Ironically it's much slower now she's born because I felt funny having a tank of meth 3 inches from her car seat so removed it.
Ramble over thank you all for the advice, in this case I'll stick to what I know, cheers

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Much anger in this thread.

I use EBC Yellowstuff on my S3, if the car has stood the night it needs a couple normal brake touches then they are ready for action.

They bite hard, both on the road and on the track, even used on icetrack drifting in -30C no issues.

Only one thing to say, super happy with my yellows and will not change.

I agree the yellows are ***** and fall apart with abuse, hate to think how bad they would be on track