Almost Fell Oot!

M44 DUB

Reaction score
Having a major problem with my door locks/catches. Driving home last night from kickboxing doing about 70mph along the bypass and the door just opened by itself. Not fully but just slightly.

It's not the 1st time it has happened either, a few weeks back i was taking a friend home, went round the roundabout and they almost fell out the car since they didn't have their seatbelt on. They kacked themself.

Anyone else have these problems? Think i have the most duff A3 on this forum. Anyone know the cause/solution for this too?

i have this problem ! driver side.. never fully falls open , but the light comes on scares the crap outta me at night !

..help also appreciated if any one knows :O

shineydave said:
yup, i also have some friends who refuse to wear seatbelts. i don't drive them anywhere these days

It's a legal requirement for the DRIVER to ensure all passengers are belted up so just quote them that.

You're not being arsey, it's your license on the line!

Its always baffles me that some people refuse to wear seatbelts.
Having been in casualty many years ago i had the unpleasant experiance of seeing a young girl who had just broken a windscreen with her face.
She was a mass of stiches and what ever good looks she had were probably long gone.
I tend to see young lads not wearing them, probably cos they are well hard....
Rant over
Nik.

Stewart said:
It's a legal requirement for the DRIVER to ensure all passengers are belted up so just quote them that.

You're not being arsey, it's your license on the line!

I can't understand why someone would refuse to wear a seatbelt. Fair enough if you've forgotten to put it on, but for someone to remind you and you actually refuse? It's ludicrous.

i dont wear a eat belt but im not HARD as you put my good man but thats my choice each the there own im not saying its wright but i fell restricted so its my choice not to wear one but please im not making it out like i dont care about safty i do and i no it sounds funny but i make all my passengers to belt up before i drive off

Sam-K said:
i always drive with my belt on !! doesn't feel right not to now

I work at Alton Towers and have to drive the works van on site occasionally when its empty (can't take vehicles on-site with the public in, except emergency vehicles). Even though its private property, so don't have to wear a seatbelt, I always automatically go to put it on. However its impractical to put a seatbelt on given what I have to do but for some reason my passengers always do... Don't know why! :)

Ballcrusher said:
i dont wear a eat belt but im not HARD as you put my good man but thats my choice each the there own im not saying its wright but i fell restricted so its my choice not to wear one but please im not making it out like i dont care about safty i do and i no it sounds funny but i make all my passengers to belt up before i drive off

why does that not surprise me? lol

Each tot their own of course. I know for me, it doesn't feel right not wearing one.

No offence meant.

My mate also chooses to not wear a seat belt as it saved his life once. He was delivering cars for a living and was involved in a head on with an over taker on his side of the road. He rolled the motor and was chucked into the passenger footwell. When he came to a stop he looked back toward the drivers seat which was missing its back due to the roof collapsing down. Thats his excuse anyway...

Spacecowboy said:
My mate also chooses to not wear a seat belt as it saved his life once. He was delivering cars for a living and was involved in a head on with an over taker on his side of the road. He rolled the motor and was chucked into the passenger footwell. When he came to a stop he looked back toward the drivers seat which was missing its back due to the roof collapsing down. Thats his excuse anyway...

LMFAO - How many times have I heard that same story off people? Seems there's a LOT of very lucky people around. Thing I can't figure is if it's a head on collision that he had, HE'D BE THROUGH THE GOD DAMN WINDSCREEN!

People who don't wear their seatbelts are tossers and I have no time for them. There's no advantage to not wearing a seatbelt - I don't see how it restricts them in any way to what controls they need. TBH the way I drive I feel like if I wasn't wearing a seatbelt, I'd be thrown all over the place when cornering etc...

Its like a £30 fine getting caught with no seat belt on! Is it because people have Air Bags now days they feel like they don't need to belt up? Just a thought! :sorry:

"Anyone else have these problems? Think i have the most duff A3 on this forum. Anyone know the cause/solution for this too?"

I had this problem. First I tied some rope around the seat and the door handle (very good look) then attempted to fit a brand new lock myself (gave up very quickly) so packed it all off to the garage.

Chances are you need a new lock, I think it costs about £40 and then fitting it takes a while - think I was charged about £80. Hope this helps.

Feel restricted? I tend to just sit in my seat not dance around :rockwoot:

Your choice could impact on others though as you go flying through the windscreen and into the path of another vehicle.

Ballcrusher said:

People who don't wear their seatbelts are tossers..............i dont think tosser is the wright word stupid maybe but one who calls one a tosser must no about tossing himself so no need for insults as one day you mite meet some one you insulted and mite be a bit uncomfortable for YOU

S3 NIK said:
Feel restricted? I tend to just sit in my seat not dance around :rockwoot:

Your choice could impact on others though as you go flying through the windscreen and into the path of another vehicle

cant dance mate but im not trying to say its wright but its my choice i do wear one if my misses keeps going on at me so maybe it will rub off one day

Ballcrusher said:
cant dance mate but im not trying to say its wright but its my choice i do wear one if my misses keeps going on at me so maybe it will rub off one day
I'm sure Mrs. Ballcrusher will take great solace in the fact she tried her hardest to get you to wear a seatbelt when she's trying to hold your family together on her own as you're scraped from the tarmac by a paramedic who won't be getting a good night's sleep for a few weeks.

If the passengers are over 14 years of age they are the one who will be issued with a £30 non-endorseable ticket not the driver (since they are old enough to know better)

Always wear my selt belt now, mum and dad had a head on crash with a drunk taxi driver when i was about 3 years old, came right out the windscreen still attached in the baby seat. Needed stitches and many pints of blood. Scarred me for life.

So you think it's the door locks, will look into this more over the weekend, that would probably explain the boot not catching either. Wouldn't be a probelm getting them fitted and won't have to pay labour.

See if i do order new locks would i be able to get a flip key? I was only given one key with the car and it's the workshop one - which is not fancy at all.

Ballcrusher said:
People who don't wear their seatbelts are tossers..............i dont think tosser is the wright word stupid maybe but one who calls one a tosser must no about tossing himself so no need for insults as one day you mite meet some one you insulted and mite be a bit uncomfortable for YOU

Especially if he has to brake hard nearby and comes flying through the windscreen at speed towards you!

Really no need for veiled threats on what is supposed to be a 'community' forum. Tosser might have been a bit strong, but perhaps not the tenor of the accusation.

anyone not wearing a seatbelt who then becomes involved in a serious accident does have an impact on the rest of the community. it's the collective who pay for the ambulances, paramedics, fire brigade, police, doctors, plastic sturgeons, nurses, rehabillitation and social security who will all be involved in putting Humpty Dumpty back together again.

i for one think that if an injury can be avoided it should, that way there's more money in the pot for if and when i need the help of the medical profession

Ballcrusher said:

15 years of martial arts experience says that's quite unlikely ;)

Jampublic said:
Its like a £30 fine getting caught with no seat belt on! Is it because people have Air Bags now days they feel like they don't need to belt up? Just a thought! :sorry:

By not wearing a seat belt, ironically, your in more danger from the air bag than the crash!