Allroad 2.5tdi tiptronic. Sometime vibration under load.

dal0037

Reaction score
Hi all, question for the experts, i have a 2002 Allroad 2.5tdi auto, i use it mainly to tow my caravan and as a back up car. Under load at times i have noticed a little vibration starting. As i say it occurs under load (accelerating or towing up hill) and from around 30km/h. Today i noticed it not towing. I have replaced all front control arms except the lower rear arms (thrust). They appear slightly worn, not the worst i've seen. All my CV boots are fine and not split. The snub mount (very front engine mount that runs off the sump area) bushing is worn. Any ideas...?

Drop links replaced?
Under load could point to engine mounts.
All the rubber bits will be 12 years old.......
Then your on to shocks and springs...

Thanks guys.

Links replaced along with front shocks. I'm leaning toward engine mounts next. Do the transmission mounts at the same time?

Replaced the snub mount (the one at the front under the radiator) and seems to have cured it. Replaced with a nylon item. Slightly more high frequency vibration, but not the bad type.

Replaced the snub mount and it reduced the frequency and severity of the issue. But it is still there at times; above 3000rpm and or under load in 2,3 or 4th gear on the tiptronic (so the torque converter is in lock up mode) and always above 30km/h. As soon as i back off the power it disappears. As mentioned, it does not happen all the time.

The centre bearing looks ok, as in, no rubber spitting out, no obvious signs that it has been flogging, however i will remove the exhaust and heat shroud to get a better look at it and give it a good wriggle. The transmission output shaft seal is leaking.

My CV boots are in good order and i have no "clack clack clack" on full lock. Could it still possibly be front driveshafts? They seem solid if i try to wiggle them.

I have replaced all front control arms except front lower rear control arms (the ones you have to lower the subframe for , and i will complete these tomorrow if need be).

One engine mount has a pink trace line on it, like coolant. No faults for engine mounts or indeed anything on the engine ECU with VCDS.

Any pointers from the experts? Do the flywheels on the auto's disintegrate too?

Ok, i think i may have found it. The left side front driveshaft has about 2-3mm of play in the inner CV joint. This could be causing the vibration (possibly shuddering is a better description)...?

shows the movement.

For future reference, changed L/H driveshaft, and all good! Including no shudder under brakes that i thought was warped discs.