Allroad 2.5TDi Noise on Startup/Shutdown

KenS

Reaction score
Hi,

It's great to find a forum with TDi knowledge. There are some good Audi forums out there, but most are based in the US and TDi knowledge is lacking for obvious reasons.

I have my 2003 Allroad from new and it has covered 132k miles. It has been pretty bullet proof over the years only suffering normal ware and tear. However, I've noticed a screeching/squeaking noise at start up and shutdown. It only lasts for about a second and doesn't seem to be there when the engine is running. I've been told that it's possibly the alternator pulley.

I dropped it into a local mechanic, but he can't get at anything without taking the front of the car off similar to doing the timing belt (which isn't due for another 28k miles). He's not interested in doing anything more to it as he's never working on the V6 TDi before.

Any ideas as to what this could be? I'm used to doing the general service stuff and brakes, but was thinking this may be out of my league.

Thanks,

Ken.

I did a bit more research on this and unforunatley it is major piece of work to get at the alternator/belt. It's below the cambelt and requires the front of the car to be removed before you can do anything. It would make sense to get the timing belt done at the same time I'm getting this sorted. Now to find an independent or Audi dealer that can do the job. I wasn't expecting this type of expense until the timing belt was due in 30k miles.

I'm based in Dublin, so may look for someone around the Belfast area as they will have more experience of the V6 TDi engine.

I dont think the clutch alternator pulley makes that noise on start up, its normally when operating the steering as it put s a load on the belt that drives it, from your post it sounds like the dual mass flywheel if your car as one fitted.

Thanks for that. Where would the dualmass flywheel be located? I've heard the term, but not sure the car has one or what it is.

I got a basic quote to do the timing belt from an independent based in Belfast of £300. Any parts outside the timing belt that need to be replaced would be on top of that. Not a bad quote. If I am getting it done, I'd get the water pump done too along wiht the alternator/PAS belt.

I had a look at the workshop manual and found out what a flywheel is. My car is an auto so doesn't have a dualmass flywheel. That's only on the manual.

it looks as though the flywheel would be at the back of the engine next to the gearbox? This noise does appear to be coming from the front around the timing/alternator belts. Although it wouldn't be the first time that a noise was coming form a completely differently location from where I thought it was.

Anway, thanks for the pointer. I'll mention it to the mechanic when he's looking at it.