1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. JohnStan725

JohnStan725 Registered User

Hi all,

I was just looking for advice, I have an silver audi a3 2001 face-lift 1.6.

I'm looking to get some alloys 18" wondering if any faces any problems when going from 15" alloys to 18" is there any recommendations or things I also need to change to have a comfortable fit so it doesn't scrap the arches or anything, also if any one has any experience with this will be appreciate.

John

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. ayfreetee

ayfreetee Registered User

If you fit TT alloys there should be no problems, even if you lower the car by up to 40mm.

4. Gazwould

Gazwould Registered User

2014-10-24 10.05.02.jpg If you don't lower it , it will look like a Range Rover .

sakib likes this.
  5. Essexman

Essexman Active Member Supporter

38 ish is a good et/ offset to look for, also make sure you get the correct centre bore, or you might need spigot rings to make the difference, Tyre size is usualy 40ish profile with 18s

6. JohnStan725

Sweet so if I get 18s would 40mm lowering springs work or would I have to change the whole lot out? I'm not the smartest on this first getting alloys so I'd need a centre bore how do I know which is the correct one for the alloys I would buy? Sorry for noob questions haha, what sort of audi tt rims would you recommend?

7. ayfreetee

TTRS were the optional extra 18' wheels that were fitted, there are quite a few people on here with them fitted, I'm sure someone will have a pic or two for you to look at, the bore size you need is 57mm and the PCs of the holes is 100mm, springs will be fine as long as your shocks are ok.

8. GeorgieS3

GeorgieS3 Registered User

image.jpg Heres my ttrs in anthracite.

Tj 0785 and Essexman like this.
  9. ayfreetee

Very nice in that colour, also I would go for high gloss black.

10. JohnStan725

Thankyou appreciate your help Im looking for some kind of black bbs style alloys, do you think gloss over matte? Also when was the size I need for the centre bore?

11. ayfreetee

Personal taste as to which colour and finish, I prefer gloss, but matte is better for hiding brake dust if you're a bit lazy, the bore size is 57mm, I've seen quite a few 18" vag wheels on gumtree, including BBS reps and genuine, the pcd for the bolt holes need to be 5x100' not 5x112 as used on later cars, unless you get some stud adapters.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. JohnStan725

Thankyou ayfreetree I do like the gloss finish but I'm pretty lazy on cleaning my alloys so matte might be better you had any experience spraying them yourself? So if I go for 18" bbs for example and used lowering spring of 40mm wouldn't cause any problems to the drive shift or the gear box or anything? As I've been told it puts alot of strain on the engine from 15" to 18" as the car has to work harder?

14. ayfreetee

No, not really, as the rolling radius of the tyres will be within acceptable tolerances, only around 50mm or lower will give problems with the drive shafts, 40 or even 45mm will be fine, I would advise changing the top mounts and bearings, they are cheap enough and you may as well do them whilst the struts are off.

Essexman likes this.
  15. Essexman

I've just got 18'' aftermarket alloys from ebay (seconhand with tyres) they are-

18'' diameter
    8j wide
    5x100 stud pattern
    they have a bigger 'centre bore' so i have spigot rings in the alloys to bring the bore down to the correct 57.1 bore
    et38 offset

The tyres are-

225/40/r18 93 y

I have lowered my car roughly 30mm on fk ak adjustables

So its lowered more than standard, dont look bad, (just about fit my finger between tyre & arch) but can still get over the variety of speed bumps

They are not causing any problems of any stress or strain to anything else

16. ayfreetee

Sounds about right Bud, most after market wheels need spigot rings anyway, it will look a dam sight better than on 15s that's for sure.

17. Essexman

Just incase you thought my post was the the OP telling you what he has now got, im not the OP, i was just telling the OP some info lol

18. JohnStan725

Nice one will come in handy this info, only thing I need help with now is can you link me to some top mounts and bearings as I'm unsure on that part thanks guys

19. JohnStan725

I will post a picture before and after when I get round to it

20. cta3

cta3 Registered User

I've got,18" alloys, 8.75 wide with 40mil lowering springs. Have had no problems what so ever, no rubbing, can full lock no problems. Everything all good :)