Facelift Alloy wheel thoughts

Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I am seriously thinking of dumping my standard 19" FL rims with BBS SX 19 18.5 46 ET bright silver finish.

bbs_sx_bs_sr190.jpg

Why? The standard wheel is a PITA to clean especially behind the U spoke at the base of the rim, the medium grey colour with diamond cut and overall design shape is not that appealing in my eyes. Also the plastic Audi star wheel cover over the wheel lock nuts looks hmmm. I prefer individual black or grey plastic inserts and it would be black in this case
Yes, this rim will show brake dust more but I like the simplicity of the design with no diamond cut and their repair issues for very minor scrapes, plus the ease of cleaning. I spend at least about 45 minutes just cleaning the wheels and calipers and my back does not appreciate the strain even when sitting on a low stool.
Yes, @jassyo06 I know it is not an Audi OEM wheel, but it is very similar to an S6 rim and BBS are quality wheels and are a supplier to Audi.
Please feel free to comment if you wish with I am off my rocker etc.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
I am seriously thinking of dumping my standard 19" FL rims with BBS SX 19 18.5 46 ET bright silver finish.

bbs_sx_bs_sr190.jpg

Why? The standard wheel is a PITA to clean especially behind the U spoke at the base of the rim, the medium grey colour with diamond cut and overall design shape is not that appealing in my eyes. Also the plastic Audi star wheel cover over the wheel lock nuts looks hmmm. I prefer individual black or grey plastic inserts and it would be black in this case
Yes, this rim will show brake dust more but I like the simplicity of the design with no diamond cut and their repair issues for very minor scrapes, plus the ease of cleaning. I spend at least about 45 minutes just cleaning the wheels and calipers and my back does not appreciate the strain even when sitting on a low stool.
Yes, @jassyo06 I know it is not an Audi OEM wheel, but it is very similar to an S6 rim and BBS are quality wheels and are a supplier to Audi.
Please feel free to comment if you wish with I am off my rocker etc.
They look OEM style mate WHY NOT.... lol
My cars coming with wing arm alloys and would prefer the standard 19"s off the S3 saloon, so when funds allow l will probably go with something high gloss black with a diamond cut like off the rs6, l spend the same amount of time washing the wheels as l do the bodywork.... Real pain.... Audi don't do nice alloys as a rule on the A3/S3

They look good to me. I had a minor scrape on my 18" Audi diamond cut 10 spoke and it was a nuisance to have to have the whole wheel refinished (and expensive)

I have done some further research and @Rob2k68 states in another thread that the S3 19" wheel is forged. The BBS SX 19" weighs about 30 lbs and is cast. I believe the weight of the Audi OEM 19" wheel is about 28lbs, that seems heavy for a forged wheel? Plus true forged wheels are expensive they cost a minimum of $1000.00 US each and weigh about 22lbs for 19 x 9. The parts pricing from Audi for the stock 19" is $650.00 US and you know what Audi parts pricing is like $$$$.
Does anyone know for sure how the Audi stock 19" wheel is made?

Reactions: Rob2k68
I have done some further research and @Rob2k68 states in another thread that the S3 19" wheel is forged. The BBS SX 19" weighs about 30 lbs and is cast. I believe the weight of the Audi OEM 19" wheel is about 28lbs, that seems heavy for a forged wheel? Plus true forged wheels are expensive they cost a minimum of $1000.00 US each and weigh about 22lbs for 19 x 9. The parts pricing from Audi for the stock 19" is $650.00 US and you know what Audi parts pricing is like $$$$.
Does anyone know for sure how the Audi stock 19" wheel is made?

It’s flow forged 9.7Kg or 21.4lbs ;o)

19x8 though.

Thanks @Rob2k68 I did some further research and you were bang on. I think I will ditch the idea of replacing my wheels. The specs are very impressive for those stock wheels. I trust they are still made by the same supplier? Has anybody weighed a 19" 2017 wheel.

NiCeJMN.jpg

Reactions: Audi Bairn, AL_B, SevenW and 1 other person