alloy wheel cleaner

Gav93_S3

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on what's best to remove tar, dirt, break dist ETC....from alloy wheels, I just got my new s3 on Wednesday and would like to keep on top of it being clean I'm looking for something that I can spray on that wont damage them

Cheers

If the wheels are brand new clean them up then seal them. For example :

Popular sealants in rough cost order :

Planet Polish Wheel Seal & Shine.
Carpro DLUX
Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour

Once sealed just ordinary washing should keep them clean.

Reactions: Gav93_S3
Been using a 10% domestic FLASH mix now for 10-years on my Audi wheels and it's perfect for me though I know no one believes me but it's TRUE; here's the mix ratio colour:
P1020353_zpsztkrbwai.jpg

Alternative is to go spend whatever, as I have, but find FLASH just as good as some and better than most :yahoo:

And here's what my fronts look like with a FLASH wash and clean water rinse:

P1020451x_zpsvirbe7kc.jpg

Bet you've got a bottle of FLASH under the kitchen sink...:whistle2:

Reactions: Scottyg, moorzy, Stevier88 and 3 others
Thanks for ALL the likes guys but please try it and report back; I've tried lots of the 'expensive' proprietary stuff and find FLASH works as good if not better than most: OK, I'm generally on new/refurbished alloys but I've used it also, albeit 'neat' on old/second hand heavily crusted alloys with good results

Please feed back and/or comment even if it doesn't work for you
:salute:

Krystal Klean Detail - Brake Away.

Good product worth a try. But as others say, seal them up and soapy water will be enough :D

Autosmart Smart Wheels is a very good alloy wheel cleaner
Autosmart Tardis to remove tar spots

Make sure you seal the alloys after cleaning

Before you use anything find out whether its acid or a strong alkali. Many wheel cleaners will strip the plating off callipers and fasteners and over time make the wheels paint work quite dull.
For me the best is clean them then add a coat of something specifically made for wheels, clean them every week with car shampoo and don't allow them to get into a state.
I don't know about Flash but most household cleaners are loaded with salt to act as a water softener.

Update, I have found that one ingredient in Flash is Bleach. Sorry but not on my car.

I wouldn't put anything on my pride and joy unless I either knew it was for cars and I had a good idea what's in it.
A work colleague used to put Fairy Liquid in his washer bottle, after a few years of this he had dull lighter streaks in the paint on his body work.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEskimo, Rob2k68 and AlexA4Avant
My wheels are sealed with Poorboys Wheel Sealant but I then use Sonax Extreme Wheel Cleaner Plus every couple of weeks. For the occasional removal of tar spots TarX does a good job.

I've learnt my lesson - used to swear by Wonder Wheels until in made the laser etched logo disappear from my Clio Trophy rims.

My Fav is Bilberry. I'm about to strip the protection I have on them and seal with CarPro Cquartz. Paint work is looking tip top so instead of going on my paint, it's going on my wheels......oh and my exhaust tip.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and DrEskimo
My Fav is Bilberry. I'm about to strip the protection I have on them and seal with CarPro Cquartz. Paint work is looking tip top so instead of going on my paint, it's going on my wheels......oh and my exhaust tip.

Want to do my wheels in full as well. Would be great to take the wheels off for a deep clean and 100% coverage but have had issues with taking the wheels off on my previous car that I cant be ***** (locking wheel nut key broke when I changed 3 wheels to 18" and had one last 20" wheel still left :O)!

Might go to my local garage on a quiet Sat afternoon when he's still about after closing and ask to borrow his lift...!

Reactions: scotty76
You'll find this strange, but go buy a couple of long duster brushes (the white microfibre ones) and soak them in soaping water. After giving the inner rim a good spray with Bilberry get the brushes into the gaps. Sorts my inners out.

You'll find this strange, but go buy a couple of long duster brushes (the white microfibre ones) and soak them in soaping water. After giving the inner rim a good spray with Bilberry get the brushes into the gaps. Sorts my inners out.

Oh I have an assortment of wheel woolies to get into the barrel. Just find it easier to give them a deep clean taking them off. Something satisfying about doing it like that...!

Also easier to apply ceramics and such without the calliper getting in the way!

Reactions: Scottyg
Tidying? Yes. My wife would definitely argue I take more care of my car than I do the house. :box:

Reactions: scotty76
Tidying? Yes. My wife would definitely argue I take more care of my car than I do the house. :box:

Haha my GF is very OCD about house cleaning, but unfortunately (fortunately..?) so am I! She does like how she gets fancy cleaning stuff for the house though. Loves using my quick detailer to clean the windows and recently gave her one of my super plush 600GSM edgeless MF towels to clean the new cooker without fear of scratching it :p

I clean her car as well though...small Mini so fairly quick and allows me to test new products and things :)