Alloy wheel cleaner

TomL83

Reaction score
Iv recently had my alloys powder coated and I'm looking for a good spray on alloy wheels cleaner. Iv seen a lot of these iron x products which look good but are these OK for regular use. I probably wash my car once a month and the pressure washer gets rid of most of the build up of dirt but it would be good to get something I can just spray on and wash off.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Iron X will be fine, but its expensive to use so often. Would try something likeVP Bilberry or KKD Brake Away. Can dilute them and much more economic to use on a weekly wash.

My main advice would be to seal them with something like Gtechniq C5 or LE R-Evolve. Will make washing them a breeze. I only tend to reach for Iron-X like products when I have missed the weekly wash or have particularly stubborn brake dust.

Reactions: Stevier88
I bought turtlewax alloy cleaner, ultimate or whatever, and find it pretty decent. Halfords, £7.50 ish iirc.

Reactions: AlexA4Avant
+1 for what Eskimo said. Get them sealed with some c5 and all you should need is snowfoam and wheel brush.

I'll use iron x or valet pro bilberry wheel cleaner if it's been a few weeks since a wash but try to limit the use so the sealant lasts longer.

Cheers for the advice. Will get some Iron X and some normal alloy wheel cleaner.

I'll not use alloy wheel cleaner. They are usually a strong alkali and will lead to dull paintwork and corroded callipers as they strip off plating.
Best using ph neutral car shampoo elbow grease and a good protectant like Rimwax etc

Spray with Iron-x leave for few minutes then rinse, try Autofinesse wheel cleaner give them a good scrub. Dry off then apply a good wheel sealant. Poorboys wheel sealant is good and probably start with 3 coats and top up every month. During that time it will make wheels easier to clean. Only use the iron-x every 6 months it will strip of any protection/sealant on the wheels so will need reapplied.

The best thing to look at would be G-Techniq G5 I think it is. I had on my last car and it held up well for nearly 2 years. Inside and out it makes wheel cleaning a breeze, 85% of dirt can be removed by pressure washer.

I agree, I typically use bilberry wheel cleaner (atm) with plenty of agitation most of the time. Iron x/tardis if required, but normally only every few months. Seal the wheels with auto finesse mint rims to help the normal cleaning.

Clean the wheels once a week then all is bliss..............

You could use autofinnesse imperial wheel cleaner I think it's lsp safe would have to check

I use the Autobrite Direct version of Bilberry - think it's called Very Cherry?
You make it up yourself, so it's cheap and can be nice and mild for treated wheels.
For heavier cleaning IronX, Ferrous Dueller (superb) or Carbon Collective REACT are all decontamination cleaners.

Autosmart Hazsafe

Great product and very versatile

Power Maxed do a couple of really good alloy wheel cleaners too
Bilt Hamber is another

Diluted Bilberry wheel cleaner for me... Spray on, if particularly bad agitate with a wheel brush, then sponge off.

Since I've been using it, I've found that I'm agitating less and less now - guess it's working!

And if you want to go all out, check this clean out!!

Muck off works well on wheels, if you let them get bad enough that shampoo wont clean them that is