Alloy wheel cleaner & Brake callipers

Banwell

previously LeeS3
Reaction score
I am always a bit nervous about using this stuff. On my last car the cleaner was an acidic solution (wonder wheels) that ate the coating off my brake callipers. End result was some very clean, but rusty callipers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Does anyone have any recommendations on this?

I've just used Meguiar alloy wheel cleaner for the first time & although it says nothing about being an acid solution, they way if ate through the brake dust would suggest it is.

Also can you actually clean the callipers? Or do they require an acid bath and regalvinising? I am after a shiny finish & wouldnt want to paid them yellow or anything. How do porsche maintain there callipers?????

Lee,

The Meguiars Wheel Cleaner is not an acidic wheel cleaner. It is an Alkaline its just very good at what it does /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I (Clean and Shiny) have just become a distributor for Muc Off which is another Alloy wheel cleaner - This one too is an alkaline. Muc Off has been around for years, starting as a Alloy Bike cleaner they have progressed it to being a Motorbike and now a Car Wheel Cleaner. I have to say this stuff is really good!

We do a "Ultimate Wheel Cleaning Kit" on the Clean and Shiny site - Heres a link The kit has everything you would need to clean the wheels and protect the wheels and tyres, making the tyres nice and black too.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

I know what you mean Lee - I've used wheel cleaner and since reading your post have noticed my calipers are rusty too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif