Alloy help

Ben_w93

Reaction score
So, had to head out tonight couldn’t be avoided (as much as I tried) and given that my car is currently the only one useable I had to take the RS3 out. Coming back into the estate someone had parked and blocked half the entrance off and the entrance is tight anyway and on a ridiculously steep decline to the right, it turns out they hadn’t parked they’d dumped the car because it was black ice.. long story short despite crawling in at <5mph (because of the snow we’ve got) soon as I touched it we were away off to the right down said steep decline and into the kerb, tried my best to save it but it’s kerbed the drivers front alloy anyway :rage:

Upload 2021 1 9 19 23 21

I know it’s pretty minimal but I really don’t want a scratch on them (other three are perfect) and it’ll do my head in. Any ideas best way to get this sorted? I know it’s next to nothing but want it sorted anyway. Even if it’s where and how much for new one

Man I feel your pain. The 1st curbing makes you loose sleep over, but it is nearly inevitable driving in this country. Diamond cut rims are a bit of a hassle, you will need to find a place that specifically states they do diamond cutting to fix that and should be prepared to pay £130+ in my experience. Fortunately you've not damaged the painted bit too so it'll be a quick skim and re-clear, but I will say the profile often never looks quite right again, but from a few feet away and to anyone else it will be brand new again. The biggest hassle is being without the wheel for a few days. Some shops can loan you a spare, others will even pick up and leave your car on a stand, so you'll have to see what's available near you. The only other option in buy another rim. New is about £900, used on eBay, anywhere from £250 used to new prices, and can be hard to find genuine ones among all the replicas out there.

A few options with good reputations I found when I went though it:

https://spitandpolish.co.uk
https://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/category/Automotive-Repair-Shop/CD-Coatings-431659870358454/
https://www.demonwheels.co.uk

Barring that you might find that it can be sanded and polished to the point you can live with the result, but it depends how OCD you are.

Reactions: Ben_w93
Man I feel your pain. The 1st curbing makes you loose sleep over, but it is nearly inevitable driving in this country. Diamond cut rims are a bit of a hassle, you will need to find a place that specifically states they do diamond cutting to fix that and should be prepared to pay £130+ in my experience. Fortunately you've not damaged the painted bit too so it'll be a quick skim and re-clear, but I will say the profile often never looks quite right again, but from a few feet away and to anyone else it will be brand new again. The biggest hassle is being without the wheel for a few days. Some shops can loan you a spare, others will even pick up and leave your car on a stand, so you'll have to see what's available near you. The only other option in buy another rim. New is about £900, used on eBay, anywhere from £250 used to new prices, and can be hard to find genuine ones among all the replicas out there.

A few options with good reputations I found when I went though it:

https://spitandpolish.co.uk
https://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/category/Automotive-Repair-Shop/CD-Coatings-431659870358454/
https://www.demonwheels.co.uk

Barring that you might find that it can be sanded and polished to the point you can live with the result, but it depends how OCD you are.
I feel like even if they handed me a new alloy back without me knowing in my head I’d still think i knew it was there so I’d still act like I could see slight differences even if no one else could :tearsofjoy: but I really appreciate those mate going to get a look at them and get them contacted, polished and sanded just isn’t going to cut it until it’s sorted it’s going to do my head in, daft I know, but I can’t help it!

Once you refurb diamond cut wheels no matter how good the refurb theyre compromised and you'll eventually get the dreaded white rot. I did something similar with one in the past but even more slight and got it refurbed as I like you can't stand anything even minor. By next winter it had corroded under the clear coat I just did this, surprisingly it held up until I sold the car!

Only downside is you take the machined finish off.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Once you refurb diamond cut wheels no matter how good the refurb theyre compromised and you'll eventually get the dreaded white rot. I did something similar with one in the past but even more slight and got it refurbed as I like you can't stand anything even minor. By next winter it had corroded under the clear coat I just did this, surprisingly it held up until I sold the car!

Only downside is you take the machined finish off.

*** this is not what I wanted to hear haha. I knew about the white rot or white worm that’s why I wanted this fixed asap but had also read many expected that within 2/3 years and mine is over 3 year old now and there’s no sign of it anywhere the alloys look perfect, barring that one now!
Think a new alloy is the best route then? I wouldn’t even know where to get one other than contacting Audi directly maybe but I’d guess they’d cost a bomb.

Got mine done at 'the wheel company' they're local and my brother knows the owner, for context they're have national contracts for hyundai and loads of major dealers. So they really know what they're doing!

Try ebay, plenty floating about on there just have to try and be careful it's not a one that's already been refurbed!

Got mine done at 'the wheel company' they're local and my brother knows the owner, for context they're have national contracts for hyundai and loads of major dealers. So they really know what they're doing!

Try ebay, plenty floating about on there just have to try and be careful it's not a one that's already been refurbed!

They’re local to me also so they would be great actually but if it’s just going to last a year then maybe eBay it is, just never trust stuff on there too much

I think it's just pot luck to be honest. £70 I paid but that was trade price I think you're looking at £100 easy normal price

I think it's just pot luck to be honest. £70 I paid but that was trade price I think you're looking at £100 easy normal price

Just done a check on their website and it would be 110 to drop it off there and leave it there then collect when ready, but if it only last you a year it’s hard to say. The other three are still perfect even after 3+ year so having one being problematic constantly bugs me at the thought haha

Wouldn't bother me, I'd be amazed if I've still got the car this time next year. I get the itch too often

Wouldn't bother me, I'd be amazed if I've still got the car this time next year. I get the itch too often

I’ve done my swapping about for now, I think :tearsofjoy: I really wanna just settle and keep this there’s nothing I don’t love about it and everything else I had I always had something to twist about haha