All you need to know about B7 front bumper grilles, well allmost all.

And you have an SE bumper which is non s-line , that's means two things, one good one bad.
Good news is that the SE non s-line bumper has a lot more options for aftermarket grilles that fit, loads around.
Bad news , the oem Rs4 grille wont fit the se non s-line bumper , as the grille aperture is not deep enough, the rs4 will only fit s-line bumpers , which includes the A4's with s-line body kit , s4's and later cabs and the rs4.

Or you could change your se bumper for an s-line bumper and then the oem rs4 grille will fit, there is allways a way.

Is this correct grill for non s-line bumper
7fcfd89e712bb614353a97650fcbffc7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

From the pic it looks to be correct, if in doubt just measure the height , but since there are very few if any aftermarket rs4 type grilles around for the s-line bumper it safe to assume your new grille is correct, how well they fit can vary wildly but that's aftermarket products though.
Give it a go chap.:thumbs up:

Saturday. My day off

;)

Apologies if it is already listed in the first section but are saloon and advant front grills from the 2005-2008 b7 rs4 the same Iv seen a few saloons breaking but not advants and I wanted to know if the grill from the saloon rs4 will fit my a4 b7 sline advant alternatively if anyone has one for sale message me thank you

So my 2006 a4 3.0tdi quattro s Line convertible front grill is hanging in there with cable ties such a mine field trying to find a grill for a s Line,[album=medium]4436[/album]

Looking for info on A4 B7 chassis front grille selection , fitment and OEM part numbers, well here you go.

The A4 B7 AVANT platform can be supplied with two different front bumpers and therefore two different grilles.

The S4 B7 only comes with one bumper type which is the S-line version and has very similar design grille as the normal S-line.
and I will clarify the RS4 bumper and its connections to the above shortly.
So to the basics of things.

Any descision one makes towards grille choice etc will be dependant on what bumper is fitted to ones choosen model of A4, as allready mentioned above two differing bumpers are used on A4 and cabs.

If your choosen model of A4 B7 is an S-line bodywork variant then your front bumper will be an S-line item which will also have the removeable foglamp surrounds, also the bumper lower cooling vent beneath the grill is thinner on the S-line compared to the non S-line which is allmost twice the size , this is why the grille depth is relavant to fitment and is another usefull way to determin what bumper you have.

Both A4 B7 fitment bumpers look very similar other than the foglamp surrounds, but there is a big difference in grille dimesions between the two.
The S-line version has a deeper grille and surround and therefore will only fit S-line specific bumpers as the bumper has a deeper apperture,
the non S-line bumper allthough looks to be the same size, the apperture is not as deep and therefore only non S-line grilles will fit,
the two assemblies are not interchangable between bumpers, well not unless you start modifying them to fit which will invlove cutting them to size to fit, not really the best solution but has been done , and to great success by some users but depends to a greater degree on what grille you are attempting to alter, one cant really cut down a s-line grill to fit a non s-line bumper , but it is possible to modify an rs4 grill to fit a DTM dumper for example.

The RS4 B7 front bumper is specific to the RS4 body and therefore only fits the RS4,
but it does share the same S-line grille form and fixings so is a straight swap across the other A4/S4 B7 models using the S-line bumper.
This is a very popular, tried and tested upgrade as the mesh grille design is well suited to the A4/S4
and the fact that it is a perfect fit makes it a problem free fitment.

So now we have hopefully cleared up any issues regarding what fit what now down to the important part.
There are only a few options open to S-line owners with regards to grille choice, you can go with an S4 B7 grille which is similar to the S-line design, the tried and trusted RS4 mesh grill or a third party aftermarket grille ( not many around to be honest ).

Most Audi OEM grilles are matt black or a grey tone, and with differing colored /finish surrounds, if you dont like a specific colour surround it can allways be painted or vinyl wrapped to a color of your choice, you can even change the main grille colour if needed .

Please remember for example, that one can have an A4 Quattro with a non S-line bumper and the same car with an S-line bumper,
the key part is the S-line bodywork option/package as the bumper and grille is relative to that option,
and that applies to a lot of A4 model, not all have S-line kit so will have a non S-line bumper.
Just an additional note regarding the plate holder...
* If it has 3 screw tabs it's suitable for non S-line/DTM bumper.
* If it has 4 screw tabs, it's suitable for S-Line/RS4 grille.

As for the main grille...
* If it has two bars (three open rows) between centre and bottom it's an non S-Line/DTM grille.
* If it has three bars (four open rows) then it's an S-Line grille.

Lastly - the S4 grille has larger rectangles and twin vertical bars compared to an S-Line grille.
Above the number plate section the S4 has seven twin vertical bars, the S-Line has eleven single vertical bars.
OK, my A4 B7 has S-line bodywork and is also a Black Edition.
My question is where to get/order an aftermarket S4 or aftermarket RS4 or any other nice looking aftermarket grille for the S-Line ?
KIEL 1 Liten
Kiel 2 Liten

Aftermarket grilles for the s-line bumper are very hard to find as very few if any are made, I've not come across one for a few years now.
Most people just opt for oem Rs4 grille or S4 grille or cut up an s-line and make their own grille.

thanks for the added visual info chap.
Don't rely on the second image though, the blue b7 looks to be a s-line cab bumper which is in fact the same size as the avant and saloon non s-line bumpers and therefore will only accept non s-line grilles.
The confusion arises here because the early B7 cabs had the s-line option but SE bumper , later cabs were fitted with the same s-line bumper as used on saloon and avant.
One needs to be very carefull when buying so called RS4 grilles as 99.9% don't fit s-line bumpers only the SE bumpers.
I did mention in my original post that the depth of the grille is the real giveaway on which fits what, the cab part of the equation is where things get a bit more complicated, but as long as you work on the grille depth you wont go wrong.

Reactions: AvantMike
thanks for the added visual info chap.
Don't rely on the second image though, the blue b7 looks to be a s-line cab bumper which is in fact the same size as the avant and saloon non s-line bumpers and therefore will only accept non s-line grilles.
The confusion arises here because the early B7 cabs had the s-line option but SE bumper , later cabs were fitted with the same s-line bumper as used on saloon and avant.
One needs to be very carefull when buying so called RS4 grilles as 99.9% don't fit s-line bumpers only the SE bumpers.
I did mention in my original post that the depth of the grille is the real giveaway on which fits what, the cab part of the equation is where things get a bit more complicated, but as long as you work on the grille depth you wont go wrong.

[photo=medium]10304[/photo]Thanks rob, when I saw the image i thought it was the best way to get a indication of what size grill,like my s line Convertible image,4 blocks under the number plate

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Rob, as always the info is spot on. Finding an SLine replacement grill is a pig!

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if the front wings, bumper, bonnet on a 2007 A4 B7 cabriolet are the same as the saloon/avant. I called a couple of breakers the other day and was told they are different - is this correct?

thanks in advance.

Slight off-topic but does anyone know the audi part number for the OEM plate holder with PDC holes? I'm attempting an RS style SLine grill conversion but need PDC holes in the plate holder (unless they are just holes with no fittings - can drill those myself). TIA

Does anyone know the Audi part number for the chrome surround on B7 S Line? TIA

the surround is not available as a spare part, only as part of a complete grille assembly i'm afraid.

good luck chap, just get yourself a nice s-line grille and remove the chrome surround or just swap over the grille.

:icon thumright:

Thanks Rob, I've picked up an RS6 mesh & a busted S Line grill - but the surround is in such bad condition it just wont look any good once I'm finished. The search continues.

I have a standard grill here if you want it
71a6f559db08e7c855ef64acb6b5977f.jpg

Thanks Hogg - I need S line grill surround (the chrome bit in your pic) I think SE/Standard is less deep than S Line.

My car is a 2007 A4 b7 3.0 litre Tdi Quattro s line Cabriolet. Would appreciate some guidance.
From Rob initial comments "your A4 B7 cab is an s-line model you may well have one or the other depending year of manufacture"
Top to bottom of grille is 395mm of inside edges of the chrome surround (i.e. the inner edge of the opening of the chrome surround).
From the photos and because it has non removable foglamp covers. So a couple of questions:-
1). Does this mean I have a non s line bumper and the grille is also non s line - it is a standard grille with an s line badge ?
2) If I fit an s line bumper, I then need an s line grille, both of which are harder to find so best I fit a non s line bumper and grill again just swopping the sline badge ?
3) If I found an s line bumper and grille together are the fixings onto the car, with the wings etc exactly the same as the non s line I currently have (assuming I'm correct its non s line ?)

Thanks !
IMG 0458

IMG 0454

You have the s-line pack but not the later s-line front bumper found fitted to later cabs, so basically its the same dimension as the non s-line bumper but just a bit better looking.
The give away is not just the foglamp covers but the vent below the grille .
The later s-line bumpers will retro fit but you will also need the s-line grille etc.

Ok thanks, so I can replace either with same non S-Line bumper and non S-Line grille (moving badge over) or S-Line bumper and S-Line grille, both sets will fit with same fixings - just gives me more options to find from ?

If you are just looking to replace the grille then look for a non s-line grille as it will be the correct size , lots of aftermarket ones around aswell as oem grilles.
It is the s-line grille that is hard to replace with other styles other than the oem grille and rs4 grille as there just is not the aftermarket options out there , they are made for the non s-line fitment, even though yours is an s-line bumper.

Hi Rob, I do need the bumper as well as it is cracked and not sure a repair will work long term. But a little confused now, I thought in your first reply you said I didn’t have the later S-Line bumper - so were there 2 different types of S-Line bumper and I have the earliest one ? Long story short since I need bumper and grille provided they come as a pair either will fit the car ? Thank you again.

It is a bit confusing but only from the cab side of things.
Normal saloons and avants are either non s-line or s-line bodywork , the exception is the DTM which has a specific bumper but it uses the same size grille aperture as the non s-line bumpers , so any non s-line grille will fit aftermarket or oem.
The RS4 has a specific bumper but it is has the same size grille aperture as the S-line bumper , which is why the rs4 grille will fit the s-line bumpers.

Now comes the confusing part,
B7 cabs depending on year of manufacture may have differing bumpers which will dictate which grille is fitted, even if they are fitted with the S-line body kit.
Yours has the s-line bumper but its the same size grille aperture as a non s-line bumper so only non s-line grilles will fit, later cabs came with deeper grille apertures which use the s-line grille found on s-line saloons and avants etc.

The good news is that you can retro fit the s-line bumper from saloons and avants etc to your cab along with the s-line grille that goes with it.
You will need a few extra bits thought such as the removable foglamps grilles etc and a few bit and peices
You will also need to source an s-line bumper that has headlamp wash as yours has that option, and swap over the parts from yours to it.
It is not complicated.
If you checkout the bumper section in the parts diagram in the b7 sticky section it will show you what parts ae fitted etc and to which variants.

hope that helps

here you go as an example
b7 cab with s-line bumper ( non s-line grille) like yours.
Audi_A4_B7_Cabriolet_1.8_T_S-Line_front_20100519.jpg

and b7 cab with newer s-line bumper and removable foglamp grilles etc and deeper s-line grille.
$_86.JPG

The later version is by far the nicer one, you can clearly see the difference in height of the grilles, top half is the same but below the plate holder the difference is very noticible.

look at the lip beneath the fog lamp on the later s-line bumper it is very prominent, but on yours there is hardly one at all.

RS4 cab, same bumper as the other rs4 variants , but the grille is still the same size as the s-line items, hence the ease of cross fitment.
Audi_RS4-Cabriolet_B7.JPG

finally, b7 S4 cab.
uses the same A4 b7 series s-line bumper and shares the same aperture dimensions for s-line grilles , uses a different sytle grille but size is s-line all the same.
wallpapers_audi_s4_2007_5_1024x768.jpg

So if you wanted , you could get yourself an A4 B7 s-line bumper , stick an rs4 grille in it and look very nice indeedy.
mines an avant but just to plant the seed...:yes:
IMG 2098 2der

Reactions: AvantMike and Sibmets
Hi Rob, really helps with the photos you shared. If I can find a "proper" s line bumper with s line grille I agree it looks better but at the moment it is more a question of availability so I'll go for whichever comes up first - one below looks it does fit with your explanation ? If I do find an s line and it is missing fog lamps etc since I am relatively unfamiliar with the forum where do I find the B7 sticky ? So glad I found this thread with someone who knows their stuff and patient !
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: Charlie Farley