All you need to know about B7 front bumper grilles, well allmost all.

20200822 215825

Reactions: Dhermr
Bought a standard A4 bumper honeycomb grill fitted it as it was cut a small piece out of the bottom of my standard one wrapped in black gloss fitted using the original screws at the bottom just gotta add a small amount of silicone where the 2 pieces meet beats paying for an RS4 grill

Reactions: Gmac and Dhermr
brilliant write up :icon thumright: rob is forum the more i rummage around the more i find im wanting to do to my B7 :Black B7:

so I just want to be positive on this because so much literature and word of mouth is different. I have some understanding that the s4 is a direct fit, but ya know the point of having the s line is the fancy s line logo haha. Makes ya feel warm fuzzy and special. But anyway I need a grill to help hold my pants up apparently.
So my grill; legit s line correct? Because I have the removable fog like portions?
so RS4 or S4 is direct fitment? Because every RS4 I find says “for non-s line” and of course S4 grilles are cheap AF, in comparison.
Also anyone know the part number for the far left piece that corner left bolt broke off on?
9A85BA29 22AC 4A67 BDDB 13AC6DC63FB1
90539E17 3852 49FF A97B 57ACF63BA61B
2F9B78C0 9FB0 45FA 913D DF557E102A75
4CD2CF73 60A0 4C3F A030 DC7BF0F38821
16B4BF2A 1D24 46FB AD54 16D26F962076

A warm welcome to you, nice to see another b7 owner from across the pond.

To cut the whole process down to a more user-friendly standpoint this is the key part.
The Bumper grille aperture size.
The S-line and S4 both use the same bumper, In the US there was a limited edition S4 that had the DTM from bumper fitted but the mainstream production line S4 had the S-line bumper.
Grille sizes for both are the same but the actual style of the grille varied depending on the model but all interchangeable between the two variants, still with me, good.
RS4 uses a different bumper, but, the grille aperture size in the bumper is the same as the S-line and S4, same fittings too, therefore even though the bumper on the RS4 is different the grille section is also interchangeable with the S-line and S4.

The standard bumper has a shallower grille aperture so uses a different grille and it goes without saying will only fit non-s-line bumpers, that said the DTM also use the same non s-line dimension aperture so the rs4 grille and s-line grille won't fit.

Visually the giveaway is the small vent on the bottom of the bumper beneath the grille, S-line and S4 have a thin vent whereas the non-s-line and dtm its larger.
fog lamp covers are another indicator to what bumper you have, s-line / S4 removable, non-s-line fixed.

For any grille to fit an OE B7 S-line or S4 then has to be an S-line bumper or RS4 bumper spec in regards to the grille, simple as that my friend.

Cabriolet is a bit different as bumpers changed depending on year etc but the same format applies.

hope that helps.

rob

What i have noticed over the last few years is the much larger range of grilles for all variants in the US, you're spoilt for choice compared to us in the UK.

What i have noticed over the last few years is the much larger range of grilles for all variants in the US, you're spoilt for choice compared to us in the UK.
Thanks for the welcome rob, I’ve been reading alooooot of your posts. Figuring this catch can stuff out; I love the B7 \m/. Plan on reaching 200K mi + on this thing as long as everyone else lets me. Everyday I find something mew scratched or dinged. But yea I need a new grill to secure this bumper back up so it’s actually worth a crap. But I constantly find RS4 grills that say they don’t fit the S line bumper. Especially the ones off eBay. I’m trying not to have to do a crap ton of modification to ensure proper securing of this dang bumper/grill combo. Lol

Thanks for detailed info. I see my S line don't give me that much choise. I need to find a set black sports grill with black Audi badge and fog light surrounds

If you have an s-line bumper and grille you can swap it for an OEM S4 or RS4 grille as they are retro fit.

Reactions: Johny Bee and tr7
Hi guys / skilled experts.

This grill unfortunately got wrecked.
Bumper fitted on 2002 A4 Cabrio 2.4 V6.

Can you help determine which type bumper/grill to find a new same grill ?
Front obviously upgraded from b6 to b7 type
top 4 and bottom 2 horisontal lines incl chrome addon in the lines. (not only arround)

A4cabriob7grill44444444
A4cabriob7grill2

Looking for info on A4 B7 chassis front grille selection , fitment and OEM part numbers, well here you go.

Please note: i have tried to make this as accurate as possible but please double check any part numbers yourself to ensure you are using or thinking of obtaining the correct parts for your project or repair/replacement.

This thread is not intended to be a full breakdown of what is needed or can be sourced , but rather it is intended to help making the whole grille subject a little more user freindly.
So where to start then.

firstly one needs to correctly identify which bumper one currently has fitted to ones A4 B7 or variant of it, this can be a little confusing at first , but all will become clear shortly.

The A4 B7 platform in both saloon and avant bodyshell can be supplied with two different front bumpers and therefore two different grilles, the cab variant also can be fitted with two different bumpers with different grills.

The S4 B7 only comes with one bumper type which is the s-line version and has very similar design grille as the normal s-line ,and i will clarify the RS4 bumper and its connections to the above shortly.
So to the basics of things.

Any descision one makes towards grille choice etc will be dependant on what bumper is fitted to ones choosen model of A4, as allready mentioned above two differing bumpers are used on A4 and cabs.

If your choosen model of A4 B7 is an s-line bodywork variant then your front bumper will be an s-line item which will also have the removeable foglamp surrounds, also the bumper lower cooling vent beneath the grill is thinner on the s-line compared to the non s-line which is allmost twice the size , this is why the grille depth is relavant to fitment and is another usefull way to determin what bumper you have.

If your choosen model of A4 B7 does not have s-line bodywork enhancements then you will have a non s-line front bumper , this can be identified by the non removeable foglamp covers.

If your A4 B7 cab is an s-line model you may well have one or the other depending year of manafacture but by using the same identification methods you will easlily be able to identify which one is fitted to your car.

The A4 DTM comes under the non s-line heading as it uses the same size grill , but a specific "DTM" bumper which is only found on the DTM , but this bumper will retro fit to any A4 /S4 B7 variant and that includes the cab Chassis in both A4 & S4 variants. this bumper has specific parts not found on the other bumpers .

Both A4 B7 fitment bumpers look very similar other than the foglamp surrounds, but , there is a big difference in grille dimesions between the two. The S-line version has a deeper grille and surround and therefore will only fit s-line specific bumpers as the bumper has a deeper apperture , the non s-line bumper allthough looks to be the same size , the apperture is not as deep and therefore only non-s-line grilles will fit, the two assemblies are not interchangable between bumpers, well not unless you start modifying them to fit which will invlove cutting them to size to fit, not really the best solution but has been done , and to great success by some users but depends to a greater degree on what grille you are attempting to alter, one cant really cut down a s-line grill to fit a non s-line bumper , but it is possible to modify an rs4 grill to fit a DTM dumper for example.

The Rs4 B7 front bumper is specific to the rs4 and only really fits the rs4 but it does share the same s-line grille form and fixings so is a straight swap across the other A4/S4 B7 models using the s-line bumper.This is a very popular , tried and tested upgrade as the mesh grille design is well suited to the A4/S4 and the fact that it is a perfect fit makes it a problem free fitment.

So now we have hopefully cleared up any issues regarding what fit what now down to the important part.
There are only a few options open to s-line owners with regards to grille choice, you can go with an S4 B7 grille which is similar to the s-line design, the tried and trusted OEM RS4 mesh grill or a third party aftermarket grille( not many around to be honest). Quality of OEM parts will never be in question nor will their fitment, but, the same cant be said for aftermarket grilles so you should ensure which ever one you decide to go with that it is as good a quality part as possible and be aware that it may not fit aswell as an oem part.

There are numerous aftermarket bumper kits available but most still use the s-line grille or have the s-line grille size apperture.

There is a mod for s-line owners that uses an RS6 mesh grill section, this is also a great mod but does require a fair bit of work so not to be taken on lightly.

For owners of non s-line bumpers the choice of grilles is much larger, only the DTM grill will fit from an OEM retro fitment , but third party aftermarket options in many differing patterns and colour/finsh being offered are readily available from numerous internet and web based sites /companies, the same applies really in as much as quality does vary wildy so be aware of possible fitment issues and quality.

Most oem grilles are matt black or a grey tone, and with differing colored /finish surrounds, if you dont like a specific colour surround it can allways be painted or vinyl wrapped to a color of your choice, you can even change the main grille colour if needed .

finally what to do if you have PDC (parking distance control) fitted to your car, well you will need to choose a grill number plate holder that either has the pdc sensor holes allready in it or purchase a grille that has the number plate holder formed as part of the grille with pdc holes pre punched etc, either way there are numerous options to solve most fitting variables.

this is probably only the tip of the iceberg on this subject but i hope it helps clarify this subject a bit more .
I didnt include any pics directly as there are so many out there , a quick search on the net or here on ASN will bring up plenty.

To save making this thread any longer than it is allready i have included some helpfull links for anyone looking to cross refence grilles/filler plates /colors etc to help with parts ordering of oem parts .

Please remember for eg, that one can have an A4 quattro with a non s-line bumper and the same car with an s-line bumper, the key part is the s-line bodywork option as the bumper is relative to that option, and that applies to a lot of a4 model, not all have s-line kit so will have a non s-line bumper.

If you are still unsure which grille you have, which i fully understand maybe the case, use plan "B" just measure it.
S-line grille should be 425mm tall, that is taking a measurment from top to bottom of the innner grill , dont include the surround in any measurement, if you take the measurement from a central width point of the grill , inside bottom edge to top inner edge it should be as above 425mm, approx, if a lot less then its a non s-line grille and bumper.

http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a4-avant-a4-eu-2007-80735-licence-plate-holder/
http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a4-avant-a4-eu-2007-80700-bumper/ non s-line
http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a4-avant-a4-eu-2007-80710-bumper/ dtm
http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a4-s4-avant-quattro-a4q-eu-2007-80700-bumper/

thanks for taking the time to read this, and any updates or comments on errors etc would be appreciated.
RE: Help with lower fog light area front bumper (standard) grill options

Hi! I am new to this site and forum. My Audis are a 2015 Audi Q7 4L 3.0T Quattro and a 2008 Audi A4 B7 2.0T FWD Cabriolet. Both I purchased new.
My nephew, who was unhurt & no airbag deployment, hit a deer in January driving my A4. The impact was on the left front corner. Well, my insurance company totalled it for next to nothing so I bought my A4 back at their salvage value. This was under $700! My A4 had been 100% dealer maintained its entire life and had no service lights on. The Cab is literally my baby: a timeless design on a fun-to-drive convertible. I just put $2K into her in October, too!

Back to my grill quest. I have been buying parts to repair my A4 and get it State-certified to retitle. The replacement lower front bumper cover has those openings next to the fog lights that I would like to put honeycomb grill inserts in. Note that I did replace the factory grill with a honeycomb one as part of some upgrades to my Cab. I also have new headlights with the daytime LED running lights inside the lenses.

MY QUESTION (finally): Does anyone know a source or way to have the left and right fog light grills as honeycomb? There are lots of attachment tabs in these openings but no grills were ever in them as I recall.

THANK YOU FOR ANY THOUGHTS! - Rich from north of Atlanta

MY QUESTION (finally): Does anyone know a source or way to have the left and right fog light grills as honeycomb? There are lots of attachment tabs in these openings but no grills were ever in them as I recall.
you can get ABS honeycomb from the aftermarket, you just cut it to size than heat it up a bit so you can get the right curve in it... than you'll need to fix it in place with some glue (best to use something that cures fast and is black... if you have the non removable foglight grills best to paint them satin black before you glue the lot in place, or do it after if you use glue that isn't black.

Reactions: GA_Audi_Guy