All new S3

Makes the 2 year old S3 a steal @ £25k imo

Certainly not worth trading in an old S3 for the new S3. Unless you really want the new shape and a worse interior.

The New Golf R is going to be quicker still. And comes with an even worse interior. What a time to be alive !!

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
Certainly not worth trading in an old S3 for the new S3. Unless you really want the new shape and a worse interior.

The New Golf R is going to be quicker still. And comes with an even worse interior. What a time to be alive !!

Personal preference really, the only thing that prevented me getting an S3 after being in the Gti was the S3 interior, the pop up MMI is rank IMO.

Reactions: Ludus, pburv, AdamInKent and 1 other person
Personal preference really, the only thing that prevented me getting an S3 after being in the Gti was the S3 interior, the pop up MMI is rank IMO.
If your talking about the 8V I quite liked the fact you could retract it, but each to their own. I'm one of the brigade that prefers the 8V over the 8Y but again everyone is different.

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and wab172uk

Makes the 2 year old S3 a steal @ £25k imo

Not what you would call progress though, 4yrs and gained 0.1sec, :huh::huh: but the manufactures will be blaming the new emission rules (GPF) for as long as they can.

Reactions: pburv, Snake Pliskin and wab172uk
If your talking about the 8V I quite liked the fact you could retract it, but each to their own. I'm one of the brigade that prefers the 8V over the 8Y but again everyone is different.
Yea to each their own, it just felt like a step backwards after being in a mk7.5 Golf Gti where as the 8Y is similar in terms of setup and is obviously a lot faster than the Gti. Really enjoying my 8Y S3 so far, if they can just sort out showing the ****** speed limit on the MMI I’ll be completely happy!

Reactions: Ludus, pburv, AdamInKent and 1 other person
Yea to each their own, it just felt like a step backwards after being in a mk7.5 Golf Gti where as the 8Y is similar in terms of setup and is obviously a lot faster than the Gti. Really enjoying my 8Y S3 so far, if they can just sort out showing the ****** speed limit on the MMI I’ll be completely happy!
Yeah mate we are all different, usual teething problems with new release cars but hopefully they get it sorted for you.

Reactions: pburv and AdamInKent

Depends which GTI you have, my S3 would have been slightly quicker off the line but once you are moving my TCR is every bit as quick as an S3 and actually much move nimble in the corners as its considerably lighter

Reactions: pburv, Snake Pliskin, A4B9 and 1 other person
Depends which GTI you have, my S3 would have been slightly quicker off the line but once you are moving my TCR is every bit as quick as an S3 and actually much move nimble in the corners as its considerably lighter
Mine was 6.7 sec 0-60 standard GTI 230bhp

Reactions: Jcbmally
Mine was 6.7 sec 0-60 standard GTI 230bhp

TCR is 290bhp from VW, and actually has a higher bhp to weight ratio than a Golf R.

It also has far superior brakes to the standard GTI and R models

Point to point it would more than a match for an S3 due to the weight difference and the superior braking setup

TCR is 290bhp from VW, and actually has a higher bhp to weight ratio than a Golf R.

It also has far superior brakes to the standard GTI and R models

Point to point it would more than a match for an S3 due to the weight difference and the superior braking setup

Front wheel drive though and i wanted a 4 wheel drive car next, would have gone for an R but used deals were all crap and the interface on the Golf mk 8 is awful.

Front wheel drive though and i wanted a 4 wheel drive car next, would have gone for an R but used deals were all **** and the interface on the Golf mk 8 is awful.

To be honest you only notice it on very wet days on moving off from a standstill, it has a very good front differential.

I think traction will improve even more when I replace the Pzeros it came with from new, PS4 will be going on it but I am unlikely to need to change the tyres until the summer.

The all wheel drive is great in the S3, but it does become a little dull. My AMG had all wheel drive as well, but whatever the difference in the setup it just felt more engaging to drive, the Audi 4 wheel drive is very good but it does feel quite numb and doesn’t make for an exciting drive.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jcbmally
To be honest you only notice it on very wet days on moving off from a standstill, it has a very good front differential.

I think traction will improve even more when I replace the Pzeros it came with from new, PS4 will be going on it but I am unlikely to need to change the tyres until the summer.

The all wheel drive is great in the S3, but it does become a little dull. My AMG had all wheel drive as well, but whatever the difference in the setup it just felt more engaging to drive, the Audi 4 wheel drive is very good but it does feel quite numb and doesn’t make for an exciting drive.

No i had no complaints with the GTI, its the best car I’ve owned (up to this point, time will tell if the S3 is as good) I just wanted a change, I’ve always liked S3’s and the golf really sucked in the snow when it rarely snowed, so thought I’d see how 4 wheel drive fared.

No i had no complaints with the GTI, its the best car I’ve owned (up to this point, time will tell if the S3 is as good) I just wanted a change, I’ve always liked S3’s and the golf really sucked in the snow when it rarely snowed, so thought I’d see how 4 wheel drive fared.

The S3 (8V) is a great car, it is worth noting that it is all wheel drive rather than 4 wheel drive. Mine didn't break traction quite regularly in wet or greasy conditions.

I can relate to that as we had a Scirocco R a few years ago and that was 260 bhp through the front wheels.
In the dry it felt like a ballistic missile once it took off and the sensation was speed was quite exciting.
The handling was also terrific with it being a lighter car as you note re the TCR.
Yes you had to feather the power in wet conditions but it was a very enjoyable car to own.
Definitely an engaging experience having a fairly light car with lots of power front wheel drive.

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, Chris4410 and 1 other person
I can relate to that as we had a Scirocco R a few years ago and that was 260 bhp through the front wheels.
In the dry it felt like a ballistic missile once it took off and the sensation was speed was quite exciting.
The handling was also terrific with it being a lighter car as you note re the TCR.
Yes you had to feather the power in wet conditions but it was a very enjoyable car to own.
Definitely an engaging experience having a fairly light car with lots of power front wheel drive.

I always like the Scirocco R. A car that definitely went under the Radar. But was very potent

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Jcbmally, pburv and 1 other person
The S3 (8V) is a great car, it is worth noting that it is all wheel drive rather than 4 wheel drive. Mine didn't break traction quite regularly in wet or greasy conditions.

That should have been did break traction, at the end of the day an S3 is for the most part a front wheel bias car. It will only send power to the back wheels when traction becomes a problem.

Reactions: Jcbmally and pburv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally, deanshaw24 and 1 other person
Those headlamps still look way outta proportion

Reactions: pburv and Jcbmally
Still can't bring myself to like it, it's just not a good looking car.

Never liked Navarra as a colour either.

Exhaust not overly great.

Still can't bring myself to like it, it's just not a good looking car.

Never liked Navarra as a colour either.

Exhaust not overly great.

He does not make a convincing argument for buying one either except for PCP payments being marginally more (£40 per month).
The new RS3 is going to have to be special......

He does not make a convincing argument for buying one either except for PCP payments being marginally more (£40 per month).
The new RS3 is going to have to be special......

Unfortunately it is more than likely going to have pretty much the same front end, and that is a massive part of the problem with the 8Y generation.

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally and 8YARWY
Unfortunately it is more than likely going to have pretty much the same front end, and that is a massive part of the problem with the 8Y generation.

It looks like they took the headlights off a much bigger model and used them on the 8Y.
Proportions look all wrong on the front end.

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally and Chris4410
It looks like they took the headlights off a much bigger model and used them on the 8Y.
Proportions look all wrong on the front end.

Agree.

Have to laugh at that guy comparing it to the S4 as if that is a good thing, the recent S4s have been about as exciting as a wet weekend in Bognor.

Reactions: pburv, FBF01, Jcbmally and 2 others
Agree.

Have to laugh at that guy comparing it to the S4 as if that is a good thing, the recent S4s have been about as exciting as a wet weekend in Bognor.
Hey, Bognor is the sunniest place in the UK!

Reactions: pburv, FBF01 and Jcbmally
Agree.

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: pburv and Chris4410
Hey, Bognor is the sunniest place in the UK!
1f31e.png
good ol' Bognor

Reactions: pburv

Just me who likes the look of it! I think side on it looks superb, alloys are poor as is the exhaust note, but I think with the black pack eventually, pano roof and some nice wheels it’ll look great

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally and 8YARWY
Just me who likes the look of it! I think side on it looks superb, alloys are poor as is the exhaust note, but I think with the black pack eventually, pano roof and some nice wheels it’ll look great
Just you I think. Awful dash, very plastic feeling, nasty alloys. 4/10 Audi you should do better.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06

I just can’t find any love for it.

Will the new RS3 change that though

Reactions: FBF01, pburv and Jcbmally
Just you I think. Awful dash, very plastic feeling, nasty alloys. 4/10 Audi you should do better.

l am sure Audi will realise this in the next 18 months when sales of the 8y aint what they thought they would be

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jcbmally
l am sure Audi will realise this in the next 18 months when sales of the 8y aint what they thought they would be
I remember when Merc went through this. I think it was circa yr 2000. The quality was shocking and rust issues were terrible, hurt them with sales so they reverted back to what they do best (in their premium motors at least).

Reactions: pburv
Thing is, the 8Y isn’t competing against the 8V. I can’t speak so much about the S3, but the A3’s competition is the new Golf (which I know, from personal experience, has a worse interior), the Mazda 3 (which I know, again from personal experience, can’t compete on drivetrain) and the current 1 Series and A-Class (which have pros and cons compared to the A3). The A3 has just been picked by CarWow as the best car in its class for 2021; and it’s been a WhatCar favourite since it was launched. So it might not do too badly in terms of sales?

Thing is, the 8Y isn’t competing against the 8V; it’s competition is the new Golf (which I know, from personal experience, has a worse interior), the Mazda 3 (which I know, again from personal experience, can’t compete on drivetrain) and the current 1 Series and A-Class (which have pros and cons compared to the A3). The A3 just been picked by CarWow as the best car in its class for 2020; and it’s been a WhatCar favourite since it was launched. So it might not do too badly in terms of sales?
TBF I have to say I agree with @jassyo06 on this, yes its not a dog but the interior and other issues are going to affect sales somewhat. The new Golf is quicker 0-60 and all the "young uns" base their buying on that alone. I also like the look of the new Golf, seen one in the flesh the other day and I like the front wrap around LED strip and the general stance of it, IMO it's stance was better than the new A3. But I'm sure there will still be plenty of buyers for it because of the 4 rings. Surely the new 8Y isn't getting the applause it needs and there are a limited amount of peeps on here that like it, again my opinion but sales figures speak for themselves and as stated earlier they will sell and I'm talking kak.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Snake Pliskin, pburv and 1 other person
Thing is, the 8Y isn’t competing against the 8V. I can’t speak so much about the S3, but the A3’s competition is the new Golf (which I know, from personal experience, has a worse interior), the Mazda 3 (which I know, again from personal experience, can’t compete on drivetrain) and the current 1 Series and A-Class (which have pros and cons compared to the A3). The A3 has just been picked by CarWow as the best car in its class for 2021; and it’s been a WhatCar favourite since it was launched. So it might not do too badly in terms of sales?
It is competing against the 8v no matter if its an A3 or a S3....its called repeat business time will tell

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk