All I wanted was a ham sandwich!

Ads

ASN Veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.aythreee.com
...well, a ham baguette to be precise.

So, I was just on my way back to the office after working up an appetite at the gym (leave it!!), so I popped into Sainsbury's to get a baguette and a packet of ham to put together when I got back to my desk.

I walked into the store, collected the necessary (including crisps and a drink), queued at the checkout for about 10 minutes (due to the duty supervisor thinking it was a good idea to have all but two of the shop staff restocking shelves rather than sitting on the tills), and then I paid and made my way back to the office.

I arrived at my desk about 5 minutes later, checked my emails and then made my way to the kitchen to start building the baguette.

I dived into the orange Sainsbury's carrier bag, pulled out my apple juice, pulled out the McCoys, and pulled out the baguette. Went back in one last time for the final ingredient, the ham.............

....NO HAM!!!!! :keule: I must've forgotten to buy it!

Holding on to the grain of hope that somehow the ham was hiding in the corner of the carrier bag I turned it inside out.

NOTHING!

I swore, put my coat back on and headed off back to Sainsburys.

5 minutes later I arrived back at Sainsburys, at the shelf with the packets of ham... and this is what I found...................

ham1.jpg

Out of stock!

Determined, I looked on the shelf below for more ham. Different ham. Better ham!
I found some. It was more than I wanted or needed. It was 10 slices. But it was still ham.
I picked it up and made my way to the checkout, joined a long queue again because most of the staff were still filling shelves... but obviously not the shelf that mattered to me and my lunch!

5 minutes later it was my turn. I gave the lady on the till the ham, she scanned it and said "That'll be £1.21 please".
Now ok, it was double the price of my usual ham but given the circumstances I was willing to take the hit.
I reached into my jacket's inside pocket for my wallet but it wasn't there! After the realisation that my wallet was in my bag that was now back at the office had hit home, and the panic subsided, I remembered that I had a few coins in my other pocket. I was a bit nervous that it wouldn't be enough to cover the cost of the ham but after reaching in and taking out all of the coinage and counting it I found there was more than enough. £1.78 to be precise. :yahoo:

So I handed over the correct money to the lady and she started to put it into her till, coin by coin.
First she deposited the 1p.... then the 20p..... and then the £1 coin. But then she paused.

:huh:

She looked at the £1 coin and then looked at me. I asked her if there was a problem. She said "this coin is from the Isle of Man".

All I could say was "OK". And just looked at her, hoping she'd still accept it.

She didn't. :faint:

She gave me back the 21p she had already put in her till, and then my suspect £1 coin. Then she took the ham from me and put it on the side of her till and shouted... "NEXT!!"

I walked away, sadly. :3sadwalk:

That was about half an hour ago, and as I type this I'm munching on a McCoys crisp filled baguette.

Reactions: badger1340 and Paullie
Damn!!!!

Or should that be Ham???

LOL

So, I was just on my way back to the office after working up an appetite at the gym (leave it!!), so I popped into Sainsbury's to get a baguette and a packet of ham to put together when I got back to my desk.

I walked into the store, collected the necessary (including crisps and a drink), queued at the checkout for about 10 minutes (due to the duty supervisor thinking it was a good idea to have all but two of the shop staff restocking shelves rather than sitting on the tills), and then I paid and made my way back to the office.

I arrived at my desk about 5 minutes later, checked my emails and then made my way to the kitchen to start building the baguette.

I dived into the orange Sainsbury's carrier bag, pulled out my apple juice, pulled out the McCoys, and pulled out the baguette. Went back in one last time for the final ingredient, the ham.............

Holding on to the grain of hope that somehow the ham was hiding in the corner of the carrier bag I turned it inside out.

NOTHING!

5 minutes later I arrived back at Sainsburys, at the shelf with the packets of ham... and this is what I found...................

ham1.jpg

Out of stock!

Determined, I looked on the shelf below for more ham. Different ham. Better ham!
I found some. It was more than I wanted or needed. It was 10 slices. But it was still ham.
I picked it up and made my way to the checkout, joined a long queue again because most of the staff were still filling shelves... but obviously not the shelf that mattered to me and my lunch!

5 minutes later it was my turn. I gave the lady on the till the ham, she scanned it and said "That'll be £1.21 please".
Now ok, it was double the price of my usual ham but given the circumstances I was willing to take the hit.
I reached into my jacket's inside pocket for my wallet but it wasn't there! After the realisation that my wallet was in my bag that was now back at the office had hit home, and the panic subsided, I remembered that I had a few coins in my other pocket. I was a bit nervous that it wouldn't be enough to cover the cost of the ham but after reaching in and taking out all of the coinage and counting it I found there was more than enough. £1.78 to be precise. :yahoo:

So I handed over the correct money to the lady and she started to put it into her till, coin by coin.
First she deposited the 1p.... then the 20p..... and then the £1 coin. But then she paused.

She looked at the £1 coin and then looked at me. I asked her if there was a problem. She said "this coin is from the Isle of Man".

She gave me back the 21p she had already put in her till, and then my suspect £1 coin. Then she took the ham from me and put it on the side of her till and shouted... "NEXT!!"

That was about half an hour ago, and as I type this I'm munching on a McCoys crisp filled baguette.

Lol ads, that made me proper laugh, that would be my luck as well. Your lunch hour must have been nearly over with all that running back and forward. Lesson here is pack your lunch at home, that way you get what you want and save time. Hope you enjoyed the crisps though.

Should have done a Worrell Thompson

hamburglar.jpg

You mate are a character; and a funny one at that :lmfao:

Last edited:
Lol ads, that made me proper laugh, that would be my luck as well. Your lunch hour must have been nearly over with all that running back and forward. Lesson here is pack your lunch at home, that way you get what you want and save time. Hope you enjoyed the crisps though.

Thinking about it, I didn't even need to go to the gym with the amount of running about I did!

Should have done a Worrell Thompson

:idea:

If I ever forget to buy ham again, and then go back and find its out of stock so buy a different pack but can't pay for it because I've only got foreign money on me... I WILL!

Lol, you are one funny character Ads, brighten up a dull day for many of us.

NOTHING!

ham1.jpg

Out of stock!

This made me laugh thank you for that. But just for future reference isle of man currency or Manx Pound is still pounds sterling and still British she should of accepted it.

Trust you to get the thick cashier. Isle of Man is British, the coin is regularly in circulation in the UK, it has the Queens head on it ***.

Actually, it is your own fault. Firstly, you should have made your lunch the night before or in the morning, not at lunchtime.

Secondly, if you go to the deli you can get 2 slices of ham. Not 10

Thirdly, you allowed the thick cashier to get away with being thick.

Fourthly, you make no mention of Colmans Mustard, how on earth can you eat Ham and bread without Mustard?

:shutup2:

I bet you always come away craving a meat based snack.

:ninja:

Actually, it is your own fault. Firstly, you should have made your lunch the night before or in the morning, not at lunchtime.

I tried that for a whole week once but it took too much planning. To be honest, I'm usually a pre-made sandwich shop man (Crispy bacon is where its at for me), but so soon after xmas and all that spending I went for the budget option.

Secondly, if you go to the deli you can get 2 slices of ham. Not 10

It was a Sainsburys local.... no deli. :no:

Thirdly, you allowed the thick cashier to get away with being thick.

I have to hold my hands up to that. I did think the pound could be spent here but wasn't 100% sure as she planted doubt in my mind. There was also a HUGE queue of people waiting and I couldn't handle any "tutting" that would've came my way if I had started to argue with the woman about it.
I was weak.

Fourthly, you make no mention of Colmans Mustard, how on earth can you eat Ham and bread without Mustard?

Mustard? Do I look like a mentalist? :puke2:

Ah ah Ads, the proper sinking feeling when you know your wallets not there, usually packed at the till too....
Did it the other week at the petrol station, just nipped out around 10 pm to avoid cues in my joggers to realise (£50 v power later) no cash/wallet, felt like a proper criminal....:crying: filled a form in, and went back 15 mins later to pay....doh

Ads, just to make you feel a bit better:

I was in Poundland the other day and saw a keyring that has a "pound" coin attached to it that you can use for the locker at the gym and pool. I had forgotten my pound coin before and it was a bit annoying. I paid my pound, and thought I was a clever little sod.

Until I went to the pool last night, got changed, put the coin keyring device thingy in the slot, it got stuck and broke the locker. So I had to get a real pound coin.

Darn it! I lost my pound.

You should have pulled the 'that's legal tender' card out! Not all bad, you ended up with the best sandwich ever... Crisp sandwich... That's the stuff dreams are made of!

You should have pulled the 'that's legal tender' card out! Not all bad, you ended up with the best sandwich ever... Crisp sandwich... That's the stuff dreams are made of!

Indeed. They can keep their ham based water.

If you'd ate it in store it's not technically shoplifting, it's grazing!

lol, you never stop in making me laugh. I can just imagine your walk back to the office after that lol

Crisp butties are the best! And 1.21 for 10 slices of ham!!!!!! OMG! I so miss prices like that lol!

Saying that there was the 79p stuff next to it!

...well was in need of a ham baguette
after working up an appetite at the gym (leave it!!).
pork sword ftw :ninja:

Seriously ads!! You just mde my fkn day hahahaha

pork sword ftw :ninja:

Seriously ads!! You just mde my fkn day hahahaha

Lol Damo.
Ads was put on this planet to make us all cheerful. The guy is a legend.

He always gets the gym in lol!!!! Come on Ads, give us an update on the gym, there must be loads to tell......

^^ would be rude not to ads ;)

He always gets the gym in lol!!!! Come on Ads, give us an update on the gym, there must be loads to tell......

^^ would be rude not to ads ;)

To be honest, I haven't been working it as hard lately, my stamina isn't all that great at the moment. It's a shame really because the firmness is going and I'm a bit soft now. I've tried to concentrate and apply myself but it's just not the same.
Ah well, never mind, I'm sure if I start pumping harder and more frequently again it will come.

To be honest, I haven't been working it as hard lately, my stamina isn't all that great at the moment. It's a shame really because the firmness is going and I'm a bit soft now. I've tried to concentrate and apply myself but it's just not the same.
Ah well, never mind, I'm sure if I start pumping harder and more frequently again it will come.

You still talking about th gym here dude???

i was going to break out an almighty edit on Yr ***. But that would just ruin it ;)

lol, sounds like a visit to the changing rooms is in order then!!!!

lol, sounds like a visit to the changing rooms is in order then!!!!

I agree Sarah, Ads needs to gt back to the Gym, at least for our amusement. Come on Ads, you know you want too. Lol.

Poor lad, he must be worn out! Or has developed RSI in his wrists and can't you a keyboard ;)

I have just got back from the Gym, it is an eye opener!

Some girls you can't keep your eyes off for the right reasons, and some because you can't believe the machine takes their weight and still moves.

But I loathe the guys in front of the floor to ceiling mirrors who grunt every time they lift a dumbbell.

I have just got back from the Gym, it is an eye opener!

Some girls you can't keep your eyes off for the right reasons, and some because you can't believe the machine takes their weight and still moves.

But I loathe the guys in front of the floor to ceiling mirrors who grunt every time they lift a dumbbell.

Typical day at the gym