Alfa Brembo`s on an 8L platform - anyone tried this setup?

I have Alfa Brera brembo s on mine but just with standard 312,s
6639C478-1452-414C-AB90-D74530FB51D6-4585-0000027D1A415BA8.jpg

Ah cool so will the calipers i linked to fit on the standard 312mm disc too? or would they be better with the 323mm LCR discs as they are 5x100 fitment.

Also are these calipers the same size pistons as the LCR calipers eg the same braking force?

Dont know what alfa the ones i posted to are off? can see they are 4pot but being black i guess they cant be the same as the brera ones

i asked this a while back, was told the alfa ones werent very good. i also had a set of fiat brembos and again was told to stick with the LCR ones.

I'm not sure about what else will fit... I bought the kit off EBay... If you look at my thread Anybody bought these.... There is a lot of info in there..... But I find them really good.... Never had LCR set up so can't compare..... The pistons are bigger...

It's good to know that they are good. U can pick them up pretty cheap on ebay compared to lcr one. We're they a straight bolt on fit? Also is it only the Brera ones that fit?

I bought them in a kit mate... Calipers, carriers, discs, pads, and braided lines... I was lookin at the LCR set up but for a little bit more I got everything new.... Except for the calipers which were reconditioned but looked like new...

Right I have taken the plunge and bought the kit off eBay.

From my research, in light of the lack of contact coming back from the seller.
The Fiat Coupe Turbo / Alfa GTV Brembos are 38/42mm pistons so should be closer to the Cupra R sizes than the Brera at 42/42mm.
So it's about 10% more piston size than 312s and Cupra R's which are 38/40mm.

So we'll wait and see, obviously lines need sussing out, have got 323mm discs and just need to decide on pads.
Either DS2500, Yellowstuff or Mintex 1144, hhmmmmmm.
Car is stripped out Mk4 Golf BAM engined 4Motion. Does the Nurburgring and some UK track days but is mainly my daily. Pads can be easily switched in and out on these calipers too, so could always have a crazy set for the track.

Last edited:
Which kit did you buy off ebay? the one i linked to or a different one?

Right I have taken the plunge and bought the kit off eBay.

From my research, in light of the lack of contact coming back from the seller.
The Fiat Coupe Turbo / Alfa GTV Brembos are 38/42mm pistons so better than the Brera at 42/42mm.
So it's about 10% more piston size than 312s and Cupra R's which are 38/40mm.

So we'll wait and see, obviously lines need sussing out, have got 323mm discs and just need to decide on pads.
Either DS2500, Yellowstuff or Mintex 1144, hhmmmmmm.
Car is stripped out Mk4 Golf BAM engined 4Motion. Does the Nurburgring and some UK track days but is mainly my daily. Pads can be easily switched in and out on these calipers too, so could always have a crazy set for the track.

I can recommend the ds2500 , I have them on my lcr . They do however genuinely all bs aside coat my wheels in brake dust on a weekly basis. A bihatch to keep clean.

Sean

vrbob, yes it was the one in the link I've been trying to contact the seller for about a week or more via messages, phone but no reply in the end did my own research and just trying to suss out the best pads and then lines. So we'll wait to see what they're like. Did you find anything out whilst researching yourself?

Mike

Sean, the DS2500 are a very good pad as you rightly point out, my wheels are black as is the car so not really fussed by brake dust so that's one less worry, thanks for your suggestion and nod for the 2500s. Am thinking of running the ATE Blue fluid, what are you running?

Mike

vrbob, yes it was the one in the link I've been trying to contact the seller for about a week or more via messages, phone but no reply in the end did my own research and just trying to suss out the best pads and then lines. So we'll wait to see what they're like. Did you find anything out whilst researching yourself?

Mike

Hi Mike,

thanks for the reply :)

Nope not really i too messaged the seller but no replies as yet. (guessing i wont form your experience either)

Will be interested to see how this setup goes so keep us posted please especially if you can find out which alfa the calipers come from and how they are adapted to fit our platforms.

Would also like to know what disks you might use with them too.

As for pads i think with the improved braking force of the calipers you may not need as good a pad as the ds2500`s unless your doing mostly track stuff. For mainly road use i would try out the sporty mintex range of pads i think.

Like these MINTEX FRONT RACING BRAKE PADS SEAT LEON 20V T CUPRA R 1.8 02-03 MDB2271M1144 | eBay (fits the LCR setup) so not sure what you need for your alfa calipers

Rob

Rob,
From the advert and looking at Caprisport's other conversions it seems they are using the Fiat Turbo Coupe calipers which are the same as the Alfa GTV 3.0 V6. In terms of the carriers I'm going with what is supplied with the kit as see how we fair, it is sold as a kit so fingers and toes crossed all will be ok. The contact issue with the seller is well noted online but the guy sounds very busy so I suppose you can't answer every email, message and phone call. Having hopefully sussed the caliper design I've identified the pad part numbers. The car will get used on track so it'll be either the 2500s or the Mintex 1144s.

Mike

Cheers Mike,

Well i will wait and see how you get on then and let you guineau pig the whole setup and then i can jump in on your band wagon lol

Cool i think for the money i would try the mintex 1144`s

Which discs are you going to use? and are they already 5x100 pcd?

Rob,
You're more than welcome to jump on the band wagon, someone's got to try it out and this time it's my turn.
Yeah the 1144s can be had for about £105 which isn't bad, DS2500s for this application can be had for £125 so not alot in it.
Discs are standard 323mm 5x100 PCD Cupra R EBC items so just need to see how these differ compared to the standard thickness of disc for the Fiat Turbo and GTV. Final thing then is brake lines and get it all fitted.

Mike

Update, the calipers and carriers have been dispatched, reckons delivery Thursday.
Still no contact with the seller, have tried everything known to man, so seems as if I'm going to have to work out the pads / lines required etc. Not ideal, but no one said it was going to be easy.

Mike

A day earlier than expected the box has arrived and the contents:

BremboFront_zps2ec25306.jpg

BremboRear_zps1c8a829e.jpg

There's also a fitting information guide to explain about the small hub modification needed (to allow for adequate clearance for the caliper) and to show the small amount of the caliper web removed to fit with the carrier.

Still no confirmation from the seller about the exact caliper model. I can't locate any part numbers on the Brembo either so I'm working on the premise they are from a Fiat Turbo / Alfa Romeo GTV as advertised and have identified the pads for this part. Further to this the pad width area is 110mm and 18mm deep which corresponds to the details for the DS2500 pads I think I'll probably buy. But I might see if a friend who works for ECP has any pads for the caliper available just to confirm before I go ordering myself.

Have opted for Motul RBF660 Brake fluid as it seems well upto the track use planned. The ATE Blue I've got is far more than any fast road user would need so will go in with the 312mm kit for sale with DS Performance pads when the Brembos go on.

Mike

Looks nice mike :)

what is the modification you have to do to the hub to make them fit?

Have you measured the pistons are they the same size as the LCR brembos eg the same braking force?

Rob,
Judging by the picture it is the need to remove a small bit of material from the edge of the hub so the caliper bolt won't foul it, is only a very small amount and in the instructions there's a picture of it.

Pistons sizes for the Cupra R are apparently 38/40mm.
Am struggling to accurately measure them s not entirely sure which point to measure to and from and harder as the caliper is built up with carrier.

I've found part numbers on the caliper seals (20487247 & 20487245) which tallies with Fiat Turbo Coupe calipers and they are showing up as 38/42mm seals. There is also the number 206862 (I think) on the inside of the calipers.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike that's really good info and I am liking this setup a lot as it uses standard bits like the LCR setup and looks to be easily comparible with the braking force too.

Out of interest how much do you think the total setup will cost you including lines and fluid etc?

Rob,
I haven't worked out what the total kit will cost but below is my expenditure to date.

Caliper and Carriers - £281
EBC Plain 323mm Discs £90 cheeky find (cheapest normal price £126)
Motul RBF660 2 x 500ml bottles of Brake Fluid £30 (cheapest normal price £36)
Ferodo DS2500 Pads £126 delivered (did see a set of Mintex 1144 pads for about £95 delivered)
Brake Lines - This is the last part of the zigsaw but am estimating £50-60.

So I reckon without any cheeky eBay finds about £620 using EBC Discs, Motul RBF660 Fluid, DS2500 Pads and Stainless Hoses.
My spec above does have track days in mind, for a road set up you could use different pads and fluid and save £75 or more. Also in this build the calipers have been rebuilt so if you could get the carriers alone I've seen the same calipers secondhand go for well under £100 so that brings the savings to about £200 and you'd still have new discs, pads and fluid for about £400 ish.

Mike

Last edited: