Alex's Misano Red B7 Avant Thread

Hi alex I cant find any similar springs sorry to be a pain ! Only ones i can find is h and r :/ any idea on part number from eibach ?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ok, the ones i bought from ebay new are no longer listed, however ive found these ones that i believe are the same. Just bare in mind the amount of drop is from Se suspension setup, an sline is about 20-25mm lower that SE spec anyway.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.de/ulk/itm/151495621035

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I have H&R 45mm drop springs all round , very good indeed.

Well got hold of a genuine Rs4 grille for my old bus last weeked and got round to fitting it this morning. Should look familiar to you @Just Rob.

Anyhoo had to make the most of the sunshine and give the whole car a well needed wash and polish, gave those tips a good clean up too!
IMG 20200119 35879

IMG 20200119 47516

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper, Dan_Avant, tr7 and 2 others
That grill has been around a fair few counties.
Came from Ireland Originally, looks just right and I still never understand why audi never gave owners the option of the mesh grille.

looks spanking Alex.

Reactions: tr7
That grill has been around a fair few counties.
Came from Ireland Originally, looks just right and I still never understand why audi never gave owners the option of the mesh grille.

looks spanking Alex.

Cheers Rob, yep its certainly travelled around abit!

Just need to do the foglight grilles with honeycomb too to finish it off

With the black surround it looks so much better on a red car than it did on my black bus, and I think this was the original box when I bought it new.

Mesh1
Gr5 2

I do like the black optics style, even on my old sline grille, although i wouldn't mind keeping an eye out for another s line grille with a chrome surround. I think the chrome against black would really pop!

Nope chrome surround's just don't look as good , had one on my original s-line grille , just seemed to add more age to the car .
Black or matt silver and moreso with the rs4 grilles

Nope chrome surround's just don't look as good , had one on my original s-line grille , just seemed to add more age to the car .
Black or matt silver and moreso with the rs4 grilles

I don't know, i will more than likely leave it as is but one can always ponder.

On to the next job

Done some research today finding out some more info about some more upgrades for my Avant. Although its meant to be on the back burner at the minute....

Most of the upgrades are under the car for a change so should improve the overall feel a fair bit.

Found out that the Brembo 18z BBK will fit under my DTM Ronal wheels with the addition of some spacers (10mm will give plenty of clearance and also fix the wheel placement in the arch) so that upgrade is a go. Also a nice set of braided hoses and some good quality discs, pads and brake fluid ofcourse. Im thinking yellow callipers...

Also on my research quest i looked at RS4 rear ARBs again. Really wasn't sure if it was a worth while upgrade, but others seem to swear by it, so that too is on the list, i will TPS tomorrow for some prices.

Also on the list is
-Possible front end suspension refresh
-2 front wheel bearings
-fit the rear lowering springs
-2 new Michelin pilot 3's

So quite a hefty list all in i suppose. I just can't see it sitting un loved!

Reactions: Dan_Avant, Ricky Burrows and Charlie Farley
looks to be far from unloved Alex.:yes:, very nice example.

18" inch the min diameter for 18z's , 10mm spacing will give you et33 which should look great with the ronals.
Make sure you choice of spacers will fit flush against hub face, not all 10's will without a bit of grinding .

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Done some research today finding out some more info about some more upgrades for my Avant. Although its meant to be on the back burner at the minute....

Most of the upgrades are under the car for a change so should improve the overall feel a fair bit.

Found out that the Brembo 18z BBK will fit under my DTM Ronal wheels with the addition of some spacers (10mm will give plenty of clearance and also fix the wheel placement in the arch) so that upgrade is a go. Also a nice set of braided hoses and some good quality discs, pads and brake fluid ofcourse. Im thinking yellow callipers...

Also on my research quest i looked at RS4 rear ARBs again. Really wasn't sure if it was a worth while upgrade, but others seem to swear by it, so that too is on the list, i will TPS tomorrow for some prices.

Also on the list is
-2 front wheel bearings

With the 18z's unless your doing mad track days just go with some middle of the road items, they have such good stoping power you really don't need expensive pads.

Also on the list is
-2 front wheel bearings

I think ive seen Rob mention this before at some point but double check your rear arb as im sure all the special editions and dtm models were made at the rs factory so may well already have one on.

RS4 arb is a good upgrade and worth doing despite the cost these days.
How much improvement over standard ARB i cant really say as my old bus came with it allready fitted , but what i can say is my old bus handles like a dream and allmost flat around the bendy bits even when pushing things.

I think ive seen Rob mention this before at some point but double check your rear arb as im sure all the special editions and dtm models were made at the rs factory so may well already have one on.

Indeedy, the petrol special editions 220's (not diesel),S4's and DTM's were all produced at RS Factory in Neckarsulm by quattro GmbH, if you check your VIN it will start with WUA .

quattro GmbH-produced cars from Neckarsulm can be identified by their specific 2nd and 3rd digit of the World Manufacturer Identifier section of the vehicles' Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) – quattro GmbH manufactured cars begin with 'WUA....', whereas cars produced by AUDI AG in Germany begin with 'WAU

Parts sometimes varied on the special eds , not officially but some parts were used across several variants., Rear ARB for starters, of course audi would never confirm that though.
If i recal correctly the BUL engine was only fitted to the 220 specials and DTM via the RS factory and was not used in any other variant.

Last edited:
Indeedy, the petrol special editions 220's (not diesel),S4's and DTM's were all made at the RS factory under Quattro GmbH, if you check your VIN it will start with WUA , Also has the Quattro GmbH label on the inside the engine bay ,others were WAU.
Parts sometimes varied on the special eds , not officially but some parts were used across several variants., Rear ARB for starters, of course audi would never confirm that though.
If i recal correctly the BUL engine was only fitted to the 220 specials and DTM via the RS factory and was not used in any other variant.
Yeah i also heard that about the bul, as far as I'm aware they were only built at rs factory, ill check my rear arb now that will be a nice bonus after having the dampers and front end suspension kit fitted tomorrow :)

Reactions: AvantAlexB7 and Charlie Farley
I know of at least 4 other special eds that had the larger dia ARB fitted from the factory, interestingly they are all Avants.

I expect Alex allready knows all this anyway:icon thumright:, but just in case.

The ARB is part of an options package. You'd find out what you have from your suspension package code if you decoded build sticker.

You're looking for PR-1BD.

I'm not aware alternative rear arb,s were a selecatable option on our buses though.

I'm not aware alternative rear arb,s were a selecatable option on our buses though.

Sorry, edited my post as you were replying. The ARB wasn't but differing sports packs were.

I've sports but not the big ARB. If it's anything like my old Audis, avants were usually +1 from the saloon model when it came to ARB.

rs4 use's the 22mm rear arb ,which was available for but as you say probably dependant on what else was specified at the point of order etc.
I'll check my details to see what part number matches.
I know its the rs4 item anyway but just out of interest from a paperwork standpoint.

The ARB is part of an options package. You'd find out what you have from your suspension package code if you decoded build sticker.

You're looking for PR-1BD.
yep , that's the one:salute:'s

saves me crawling under the car tommorow.

Lol its always handy to spread the info, although i am aware of your relevant points you make! I will have a quick look under the car before ordering because you never know... im pretty confident i don't have one fitted, mine feels very walloey in the bends but all should be golden with a few tweaks

looks to be far from unloved Alex.:yes:, very nice example.

18" inch the min diameter for 18z's , 10mm spacing will give you et33 which should look great with the ronals.
Make sure you choice of spacers will fit flush against hub face, not all 10's will without a bit of grinding .

Okay, thats something to check for, i believe ECP do some 10mm H&R hubcentric spacers i might give those a try. Apparently 5mm is enough to clear the 18z's but the 10mm with improve the ( i hate this word!) STANCE!

Reactions: Ricky Burrows and Charlie Farley
Okay, thats something to check for, i believe ECP do some 10mm H&R hubcentric spacers i might give those a try. Apparently 5mm is enough to clear the 18z's but the 10mm with improve the ( i hate this word!) STANCE!
It will enhance your Avants appearance then.:yes:

Lol your be going down maccys car park next mate with the hard people and there big 1.2 engines.

Ah yes, at least i won't get hung up on the speed bumps, like the youths in there slammed and rimmed fez bombs! 12° of negative camber is excellent for performance! Lol

Loving the thread!
Interesting what mods and visual changes you make.

Is that a removable toe bar you have fitted??

I do Love a red b7 bus.

53a0ef4e8c489df02d314eef56afa2f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tr7, Pie-eyedpiper, AvantAlexB7 and 3 others
I'd really love a red bus, but stuck with a black one ..black is ok though:yes:

Reactions: Chris Sage
Loving the thread!
Interesting what mods and visual changes you make.

Is that a removable toe bar you have fitted??

I do Love a red b7 bus.

53a0ef4e8c489df02d314eef56afa2f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Chris, im trying to keep it up to date as the jobs are being done, and there's plenty on the list!

Yes its a detachable Westfalia towbar, very similar to the oem factory option detachable. Seems to work just fine and gets plenty of use.

Well the BBK is happening sooner than i thought!

Found a seller on Facebook breaking a Q7 with the required 18z's and snapped them up for £200. Couldn't not buy them at that price. They need a refurb ofcourse but all in good time.

Next on the list will be some discs, caliper fixing kit and spacers before plunging into a full on refurb, to check everything is A-okay.

Back burner he said......

Reactions: Dan_Avant
make sure you check them over carefully Alex , don't skimp on replacing parts .
overhauls are not cheap and can be expensive for full service kits but worth doing, good luck chap.

Well the BBK is happening sooner than i thought!

Found a seller on Facebook breaking a Q7 with the required 18z's and snapped them up for £200. Couldn't not buy them at that price. They need a refurb ofcourse but all in good time.

Next on the list will be some discs, caliper fixing kit and spacers before plunging into a full on refurb, to check everything is A-okay.

Back burner he said......
2020 bargain of the year already? Id like the 18z’s but for the money there just not needed enough on power I'm at dout id need them for stage 2+ either unless its a track car but for £200 its a no brainer i would of got them as well maybe i should keep a little eye out every now and again, nice one mate I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them.