Alarm triggering causing fobs to lose sync?

plasmaduck

Reaction score
2003 Audi A4 Cabriolet alarm problem. The fobs (both) keep losing sync with the car. The fobs have new batteries. The hazard warning lamp switch on the dash is illuminated constantly, and I believe the fobs lose sync following the alarm being triggered. I have disconnected the cars battery and it was all ok for a week...sometimes the fobs won't sync with the car until a short journey is completed which leads me to wonder if there is a loose connection...

Any advice would be great as I'm not sure where to start...are error codes likely to be stored anywhere?

Another smaller issue on the car is the aerial signal not working for the radio. I have bought an mp3 player/transmitter which picks up interference somewhere from the car (ok in my other car) and it does this even with the engine off?!

Thanks in advance :)

Sounds like your hazard light relay has gone. The relay is part of the switch I believe.

As an aside on my A4 when i disconnect the battery for an extended duration I have to pair the key with the car again by putting each key in the ignition, switching to position 2 and pressing lock and unlock together.

Have you scanned for errors with VAG-COM - Convenience Module is the module of interest for alarm problems.

Thanks for the replies. I've now done a lot of homework (thanks to this site) and have learned a good bit about this fault.
Today I checked my drivers door wiring, there are two broken wires - I suspect these are for the tweeter...there are no other faults on that door other than the tweeter not getting a signal. The alarm/fobs have worked fine all day, I tried moving the door open to try and make it fail but all ok so far and I think the other wires are intact.

My next move is to look at the convenience module, I was going to today, but it seems accessing the module is going to take a while due to the carpet needing to be moved.
I've now noticed that the hazard triangle is lit constantly regardless of whether the system is working fine or not. The carpet seems dry but a visual inspection has to be worthwhile. My airbag light is also lit, I assumed this was because I changed the seats in my car, but I've read that the module also controls this?

A VAG-COM reading would be cool, would I be right in thinking the ebay ones are no good? I'm located in the Hemel Hempstead region if anyone is local to me and is happy to test the car for me :)

Thanks for any further help

Anyone?

Are the leads on ebay not much good? Also is the shareware software likely to help me?

Lastly, am I right in thinking that the glovebox etc has to be removed to lift the carpet above the convenience module?

Cheers.

Can only recommend the genuine Ross-Tech leads as this is all I have ever used.

Removing the front passenger seat wil give you unrestricted access to the convenience module allowing the carpet to be lifted. SOme members have achieved access without removing the seat.

i have ebay as im not that rich to spend 250 to 300 on a ross tech one and can say it works fine you evan down load the program for free from ross-tech

Can only recommend the genuine Ross-Tech leads as this is all I have ever used.

Removing the front passenger seat wil give you unrestricted access to the convenience module allowing the carpet to be lifted. SOme members have achieved access without removing the seat.

Thanks for the reply, does this mean that there is a gap under the seat to access the module, or would I still need to move the carpet from the front of the car as I would even with the seat in place?

i have ebay as im not that rich to spend 250 to 300 on a ross tech one and can say it works fine you evan down load the program for free from ross-tech

Cheers for the info simon, I think that is what I will also do for now...