Alarm not sounding off - where the siren/horn?

gadgesxi

Reaction score
Always new that i had a comms error on the alarm from a diagnostic but only just now set the alarm off by accident and the hazzards just flash, but no sound!

Error code:
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
49-00 - No Communications

My question is, where is the horn so i can check the connections?

Its in the rear boot area on the offside near the amp somewhere I think.

On the saloon it's in the rear o/s corner - not 100% sure on the Avant - on the saloon it points out the rear vent behind the bumper - see Figure 14 (with my mod for an external battery backup pack after the internal ones fail requiring a complete new siren unit if you take it to Audi!).

Siren-6.jpg

thanks, i'll have a good route in the boot for it tomorrow. Will i need to get under the car?

thanks, i'll have a good route in the boot for it tomorrow. Will i need to get under the car?

I can only advise on the Saloon - no you remove the right hand side trim and then that reveals the stuff in behind. I did have to remove the spare wheel floor cover, the loading sil plastic trim, luggage floor hooks, and then the right side cover. No need for any external work under the car.

Also on the saloon the BOSE Amp is up on top of the rear o/s wheel arch.

Yep there is an amp and sub behind the RHS trim on mine. Thanks for the tip!

It doesnt have a red pull cord attached to it does it? like a kill switch?

It doesnt have a red pull cord attached to it does it? like a kill switch?

That's the emergency fuel flap central locking release!
Basically if the central locking motor fails you can still re-fuel.

On the saloon it's in the rear o/s corner - not 100% sure on the Avant - on the saloon it points out the rear vent behind the bumper - see Figure 14 (with my mod for an external battery backup pack after the internal ones fail requiring a complete new siren unit if you take it to Audi!).

Siren-6.jpg

Had the boot in bits over the weekend, and nope couldnt find the siren, fig14 was empty. Infact the sub encloser taken all that space up. Checked the other side also and couldnt find anything there.

Could it be in the engine bay?

Had the boot in bits over the weekend, and nope couldnt find the siren, fig14 was empty. Infact the sub encloser taken all that space up. Checked the other side also and couldnt find anything there.

Could it be in the engine bay?

"NO_IDEA" has an Avant and indicates it's in the o/s/r corner under the Sub & amp - were there any wires or connectors floating around in this location. The Siren unit has a 3-wire connector. Perhaps the previous owner removed it - that would explain no communication as it's not there but the wires should be!?

A few years back I had an "R" reg Passat and the siren unit was mounted between the battery and the pollen filter air intake in the engine bay area - don't think Audi did this on the B6.

Nope nothing there. Nothing to do with being a jap import is it?
Also the car does have a tracker.

Just had a look in Elsawin and it confirms the location as in the picture from Worlord. Maybe as you say it is something to do with Jap import or tracker.
I thought with the tracker though everything as original spec stayed in place and it was added as additional security. Certainly on my B5 with a tracker it was the case.
These horns can be a problem maybe it has just been removed. (strange you can't see the connector for it though)

The standard "tracker" system is connected to the car's power loom and that's about it - this allows it to charge it's own internal back-up battery, i.e. removing the car battery would still enable the Tracker unit to work if the thief thought they could disable it in this way!!

Advanced "tracker" systems may be connected into the systems security system and actually notify Tracker HQ in the event of alarm activation with the vehicles GPS location.

You think its worth activating the tracker? Its on the car but i need to pay the subscription, not sure how much it is actually. The brand is "Tracker".

You think its worth activating the tracker? Its on the car but i need to pay the subscription, not sure how much it is actually. The brand is "Tracker".

I have had the standard Tracker system that was already installed from before when I bought the car at 2 years old - got a discount on the insurance which I really needed since had no No Claims Discount as been driving a company car for many years and had to start from scratch.

Basic tracker costs me now £135 inc. VAT per year.

I have replaced the 6v back-up battery a couple years back myself, readily available from Maplin's - as opposed to calling out a Tracker engineer at around £75+++ (+VAT) for a systems check. Recently spoke to Tracker Technical to see if I should get an engineer to check over the system and really wanted piece of mind that the unit did actually still work. Surprisingly they were really helpful and advised that actually changing the battery is not exactly rocket science and they could do a remote diagnostics now to check all was OK!! They sent out a 1 message per hour diagnostics which did "ping" back a response from my Tracker unit, in around 10 minutes of them sending out a signal. They were happy that all was working OK. In normal "car has been nicked" mode they would send out around 100+ messages per hour to help the car be flagged to Police for recovery.:busted_cop:

I'm happy to pay this fee - I guess that will be down to the individual in the end.

I had Tracker Monitor on my B5 & it was a good system. I think I paid £100/year. I could have taken the option for lifetime subs which if you are going to keep the car for a long period is well worth it. I think at the time it was about £300. I kept the car for 5 years so I wish I had taken them up on the offer.
I had a problem with the immobiliser and they were on the phone almost immediately asking if the car was safe.

Phoned before and yep £130 per year or £360 lifetime.
Now do i pay that or put the money towards an aftermarket alarm?

An after market alarm won't phone you as Tracker monitor do. They really are persistent. Just check which version of Tracker you have, there are lots of different ones.
Who takes much notice of alarms going off anyway!!