Alarm keeps going off sporadically

paulious

Reaction score
Hi,

Over the last few weeks my alarm has been going off usually a few hours after it has been parked on my drive. I have taken it to the garage to pull the codes from the VAGCOM and they came up with the following

Central Locking

Code 001:
01371 alarm via door contact switch driv.side

Code 002:
01370 alarm via interior scanning

Code 003:
01134 Alarm horn -H12 Terminal 30 is missing

Code 004:
01134 Alarm horn -H12 sporadic: no communication

Interior Monitoring

Code 001:
01382 Alarm via ATW sensor f1

Engine

Code 001:
00537 lambda control: sporadic: upper stop valve

The garage are suspicious that the Terminal 30 error could be setting off all the other C/L codes but investigation would be costly! Any help would be greatly appreciated by myself and the neighbours :)

Cant really help too much.
But
Are you sure its not the battery which is in the siren in the rear by the cd changer.... theres lots of posts on it

Not really had a look but i will do so now, is that the battery backup on the alarm siren. I have heard if this is low the alarm may sound, just odd why it wouldn't do it as soon as you lock the car though. Thanks for the post

PS Just did a quick search on the Terminal 30 problem and some people say this comes up if the main engine battery has been disconnected at some point which it has last night to shut the thing up!

yeah dont really know what it is for but people usually get some beeps from the rear of the car when the battery is on its way out. i havent experienced it its just from what i have read but its been discussed loads on here

The most common & more likely is the siren in the rear passenger quarter hidden down low & bolted on, the batteries are synonymous for leaking all over the pcb & the siren bleeps when starting car & also can cause intermittant faults, as its part of the security system it isnt unhead of for this to be the one causing all these errors, also the convenience module which is actually same place covered in a foam protective cover, but I would actually change the siren which has been superseded for a much better one now, £80 from the stealers, dont by 2nd usr unless its the newer style version

You will get intermittant security system errors anyway that I got every now & then which didnt affect the car working at all, I think the siren one is the issue here & its very well known amongst the 8L crew.

Thanks NHN I will have a dig around once daylight is back. Is this kind of damage easy to see once i have found the box? Atleast then i guess if i see battery acid all over the board that has to be the cause of these errors. In adherance to your comment my rear wiper wash motor is shafted (literally) and when used water leaks into the bootlid so that could have damaged the electronics.

The siren unit is sealed so only splitting apart will show you battery leakage, but if water has peed out down into the convenience module then this could be the fault but seeming unlikely to me as wash motor is in middle of the boot lid, & the module & siren are down hidden in the left pocket side, check the convenience module to see if it has been wet at some stage, its a covered area TBH but nothings impossible, you can split the siren & check inside then just tape it back together or glue if its not this, but its so common a fault could very well be, the water bit worries me though, no problems with the locks etc as if they havnt also caused issues then dont think its the convenience module.

Nope the locks have worked fine since i have had the car, both with the keyfob and manually. It would be nice to disable the interior ultrasonic sensors but the button on the door pillar is missing. However as you have said turning this off probably wouldn't help if it was the electronics being shorted and as the door sensor has apparently triggered the alarm also. I will have a look in the morning and write an update. Thanks again

First step would defininatly to get that siren checked out,as i had the exact same problem with mine,was the siren

PS. I don't suppose Audi would have been so stupid as to have a fuse that would disable the alarm? I have to drive the car to bristol this week before i can even get a replacement board if that is the problem. I don't really want to have to resort to disconnecting the battery everytime i get back from work then reconnecting it every morning.

just unplug the siren then,at least you will be able to lock and imobilise the car,keeping the neighbours sweet aswell

Has a similar problem on my S3. Recall getting similar codes. Garage & I never got to the bottom of the problem 100%, because I sold it, but at one point they found that the wiring loom was fulll of water from a perished / burst hose under the airbox - think it was a washer bottle or expansion tank hose. Once dried out, the problem went away for a good while. Have a look. Sorry to be vague, was 18 months ago.

****** annoying though. I ended up leaving the car unlocked on the drive most nights!

Hi everyone, Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I eventually had the time last weekend to have a good crack at the problem. I took the CD player and sub out of the boot, managed to get access to a little black box that said alarm on, unplugged that then right down the bottom under the tail lights was a black siren box which was secured tight. Took bloudy ages fiddling to get it out but i knew this was the right one as i could see a NiMH label on it. Having finally removed it i broke the seal to look inside and you were quite right the batteries had leaked all over the circuit board. Replaced the CD player and Sub, left out the little black alarm box and siren and car starts fine, central locking still works and best of all i can get a peacefull nights sleep without having to disconnect the main battery everynight. Thanks to everyone for their help :)

Google is my friend and it led me here! I am suffering (and so are my neighbours) with the same fault.

So, being a skint single parent I'm hoping to sort this myself rather than employ the extortionate services of Audi and the like.

I've a 99 plate A3 1.8T

I've located the black box but good god, I can't get it out! Probably because I own 5 spanners all of which are too big so I though yay, I'll use my combination one for cycles... drat, it's shape makes it impossible to fit in. Anyway, before I set off to buy proper mechanic tools I thought I'd pose one question to those more knowledgeable if I may
Bow.gif

Couldn't I just 'snip' one or all of the wires that lead into that box? I've shown them with an artistic circle
girl_haha.gif

Apart from having a scratched arm, broken finger nails and filthy hands I'm now a wee bit pee'd off!
ChainGun.gif

Any advice for me?

3575566131_71e34b4c7f.jpg

have you got it on vagcom? the same thing happened to me and turned out to be the bonnet sensor thinking the bonnet was always open. could be worth disconnecting that and seeing what happens.

Oh, ok, I now know what vagcom is... and seeing that I don't even own a set of tools I think it's safe to say I don't own a vagcom set
349.gif

Is there anyone in the Poole/Bournemouth area that does? Can I come and take advantage of you?

Thank you for that :)

Can I just bump the question about cutting those wires though? Would I **** up anything else if I cut the wires to the siren?

LOL... I thought it was a plug but damned if I could get it off. (weak hands!) So I grabbed my somewhat very gorgeous neighbour who also owns two Audi's (great excuse to talk to him hehe) who had it unplugged in a jiffy!

So, I'm all sorted thanks to this thread.

Karen x

LOL... I thought it was a plug but damned if I could get it off. (weak hands!) So I grabbed my somewhat very gorgeous neighbour who also owns two Audi's (great excuse to talk to him hehe) who had it unplugged in a jiffy!

So, I'm all sorted thanks to this thread.

Karen x

Hi Karen & welcome, get your hunky neighbour(your words not mine) to swap the siren over aswell, its not that hard to do & I'm sure you could persuade him to help, they're £80ish from audi but ebay has few on, then you get it all, working alarm system & nice neighbour to chat up at same time, lol.

I don't need no siren... if someone wants to steal it I sure as hell don't want to be woken up in the middle of the night whilst they do the deed. Who'd want to steal a ten year old 'manky-gold' coloured car anyway!
risitas6ba0.gif

And thanks for the welcome :)

You'd be amazed trust me, lol.

Good luck with neighbour.

Its like that song "Its not right, but its ok" lol

Dont worry I also feel the same, but women that is, lol.

Damn thats a bit forward isn it, asking me to strip for a wash, I dont know you that well, lol.

LMFAO steady we'll get reported for inappropriate behaviour Stu, lol

Just had the same issue with my alarm siren. Took the damn thing out before the neighbours started a vigilante group to remove my dangly bits.
Strangely it never went off during the day, only in the middle of the night!!
Split the box open, & sure enough the batteries had leaked all over the PCB.
I've cleaned it all up, but I'm reluctant to put it back in as it was a pita to get the sub woofer out.

Hi i to have alarm problems will all the codes in the post below only difference with mine is the indicators just flash and no alarm sounds only other thing ive noticed the little light on my passenger door flashes and not the drivers one help anyone please i`m sick of the neighbours coming round telling me ive left my hazzard lights on lol :think:

Dear all,

I just joined this forum (my 1st ever) simply to say a MASSIVE thank u all for such genius sharing of minds! How did we cope without the internet!?

So, my 2003 A4 Avant 130TDI had all the symptoms; beeped 7 or so times after starting a year and a half ago but the manual said nothing about it so i just assumed it was to let me know it had gone off the night before. Then 3 days ago I had a flat battery so charged it and assumed the weather and old age had gotten to it. That evening the alarm was going off but without siren sound, which was clearly what had killed the battery the previous eve.

I put my official vcds cable and sure enough the codes said EVERY door sensor, boot, bonnet and interior monitoring had set the alarm off! Hvaing read this forum, I took the sub woofer boot trim off in 5 mins (take off luggage hoops, boot lip and a few screws then yank harder than you think to release catches). I opened the siren with a chisel and while the batteries had leaked they hadn't affected the electronics. What had caused the problem was a blown diode and resistor - given the amount of black and the smell i'm amazed it hadn't caught fire!! :s

Reset the codes, left the siren unplugged and all is fine again. The part was available from Wimbledon Audi at 110 pounds inc vat.

As an aside, I also saw a fault code for a steering angle sensor but in fact this happens when battery is disconnected or fully drained so don't panic if you see the same!

Thanks again for sharing your tips.

All the best,
Ali

UPDATE:

Having replaced the alarm siren and reset the codes, I had the wind taken out of my sails when the alarm went off again. This time only one code related to the boot switch. So I took off the trim and sure enough the rear wash wiper was dripping onto the boot switch. I took the assembly apart and put bathroom sealant around the leaking part. Then cleaned the contacts and left the trim off a few days to monitor for leaks. No leaks, no more alarm!