Alarm, any ideas???

HAWKEYE

IT CANT RAIN ALL THE TIME
Reaction score
Ok guys, i'm on nights so wont reply to this till late!!!! hope you can help tho. My alarm seems to have a mind of its own!, not long after buying the car ( always the way! ) every time i set the alarm to lock car with the fob the indicators would stay on, and the only way to stop this was to undo battery on car :banghead:. yet if you locked it with key the indicators would flash properly. No problem when unlocking with fob as lights flashed normally. This went on for a while ( so just locked with key ) now if i lock the car with the fob or key the indicators dont even flash on!!!:shrug: The alarm is a factory fitted one, and I dont even know where the alarm is situated on the car. Anyone got any ideas,as this is doing my nut in ??? I was going to change alarm, but insurance told me it wouldnt make any difference to what I pay so havent bothered.

Alarm "brain" is resident in "Convenience Module" under front passenger seat. Requires the seat to be removed and pull back carpet. You will need a (M10?) spline socket tool to remove the 4 seat bolts - there are no short cuts. On mine the unit is encased in a water tight box - flip it over 180 degrees - release tabs and you can then get access to the unit. Also note with removing the seat you will have to disconnect the seat airbag connector - in the mean time if you put the ignition on, this will flag a dash airbag error - can easily be reset with VAG-COM.

Water can get into the car from around the pollen filter along the bulkhead where your Battery and Brake servo are - normally blocked drainage holes. Water can trickle down through the air intake / pollen filter and interfere with the A-pillar wiring connectors and some have experienced water around the Convenience module. Check for damp carpets and sound proofing beneath carpets.

Recommend you do a scan on VAG-COM to see if there are any other obvious errors?

New Convenience module part around £220+ from the stealers does require programming if you are a DIY'er and fit yourself. Sometimes listed on Fleabay but you need to get the correct revision number compatible with your original.

Cheers woorlord, might know it wouldn't be straightforward!! Still might aswell go for it on weekend, missus at work so have some clear time to check.

you don't have to remove the seat, well not on mine anyway. i pulled the carpet up from underneath the dash board in the foot well and just lifted and folded the carpet towards the centre console to gain access to the convenience module, took me about 5 minutes to get to it and remove it

Let me know from vagcom what the module version part number is as I might know someone whose got some.

Just to eliminate the fob have you tried the 2nd fob aswell that you have?

I personally am leaning towards convenience but have to eliminate all possibles.

NHN.

Change your sig as says nowt broken, lol.

Let me know from vagcom what the module version part number is as I might know someone whose got some.

Just to eliminate the fob have you tried the 2nd fob aswell that you have?

I personally am leaning towards convenience but have to eliminate all possibles.

NHN.

Change your sig as says nowt broken, lol.

LOL! You may have a point there!!!
Yeah i tried the other fob too, its just bizarre but at least it locks and thats important!
1210tech and NHN thanks for input hope to get it sorted asap.

you don't have to remove the seat, well not on mine anyway. i pulled the carpet up from underneath the dash board in the foot well and just lifted and folded the carpet towards the centre console to gain access to the convenience module, took me about 5 minutes to get to it and remove it

You may be right with regard to not removing the seat to check the area fore dampness but to get to the convenience module water tight box and release the lid was near impossible - my carpet was backed by a thick foam backing and was a pain even with the seat out - ended up forcing the carpet back towards the centre console and then propping back with a piece of wood against the carpet and inside sill - see picture......
ConvModule_800.jpg

You may be right with regard to not removing the seat to check the area fore dampness but to get to the convenience module water tight box and release the lid was near impossible - my carpet was backed by a thick foam backing and was a pain even with the seat out - ended up forcing the carpet back towards the centre console and then propping back with a piece of wood against the carpet and inside sill - see picture......
ConvModule_800.jpg

the water tight box lifts out from where its seated and there is enough cable to pull it out towards the door sill so it is outside the car, you can then drop the carpet and undo the lid and remove the module. the lid of the box will also un-clip from the box.