Ajq problems need help

roadwarrior666

Reaction score
Hey all iv a 99 a3 1.8t quattro 180 Whitch I'm having a few issues with. Iv had her since last April and all was well till 2 weeks ago when I started getting a random misfire so assumed coil pack as iv had something similar on my a4 b5 quattro swapped them round but miss stayed the same then a few days later started loosing boost so checked for leaks and can't find any, bypassed the n249 just to simplify things no change it will run fine and boost to .8 bar then miss and only boost to .4 bar .so far iv changed the fuel filter and replaced a few pipes that looked a bit dodgy but didn't seem to be leaking checked plugs and coil packs unplugged the maf and it got worse so don't think it's that dump valves seems ok too so if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them

Have you scanned for fault codes?

What coil packs did you use? yours has the bolt down ones? if they are the beru make then they are generally rubbish... have seen a set of 4 new ones fail out the box... if hitachi then 'should' be ok...

Scanning for fault codes will help as misfires are recorded as a rule...

<tuffty/>

Coil packs are hitachi bolt down got my brother to scan it last week and was showing overboosting ill get him down during the week to scan it again to get the codes

Overboosting could be the cause of the misfire... what gaps are the plugs? is the car mapped?

<tuffty/>

I'm running ngk iridium with a .8 gap on a standard map ,would like to map it but rolling roads are few and far between here in Ireland

Also have a dodgy fuel gauge since it started too drops to nothing and fuel light came on reset it and its fine for a while seems to go when the boost goes low not sure if its related

Use a 0.7mm gap on the plugs...

Other issue could be a bad earth... checks earths under battery tray and the one on the cam cover... if the cam cover one is non functional this can cause misfires too...

Fuel gauge sounds like the fuel sender

<tuffty/>

Quick update solved it i think. Thermostat stuck open + cracked wires on injector loom + me driving through big puddles fast + 2 leaky injector seals and a filthy n75 .now all I have to do is fix the fuel gauge and the back spring I broke last week will take picks when I'm doing the fuel gauge and post it incase anyone else want to see how to get it out the tank.
just goes to show the old ones were built better .my old 95 a4 b5 quattro which i had for 7 years and 240,000 miles and only put a turbo,dv,ignition amp and thermostat in all that time and abuse . Iv had my 99 a3 tqs Exactly 1year and she's cost me more allready
thanks for the help