Aircon sometimes not coming on??

I

imported_ZeroK66

Hello all,

Given the sub-5deg temps recently... I have not really worried about my aircon not coming on, thinking it was because at a certain temp it will no longer come on.

But yesterday morning at 2deg... it came on and was working... but then on the way home when it was WARMER it would not come on?

I have climate control... so I am basically referring to the little iceicle on the display next to the climate control temp.

thanks,
Leon

It could be fine. The temperature sensor for the air con is separate from the one for the DIS. It could be that whilst outside temp was 2 degrees to start with, the compressor / condensor temp was warmer, but as you drove although outside became warmer, the air flow cooled the condensor and it was shut off.

I noticed on my previous A3 that the icicle could go on and off although the outside temp remained about the same (always when < 5degrees)

You can check for errors through VAGCOM or use the hidden climate control error codes (search here for the method)

Leon - For info, I too originally thought my climate was experiencing problems but after reading many posts on here, it seems the system automatically shuts the air con off to protect the system. I would't worry too much during this fluctuating cold weather. If it doesn't work when the weather starts to get a little warmer (> 6 or 7 degrees (constant)), then I would get it checked.

Excellent, thanks guys!!

Been wroking today - so indeed... there must be a second sensor as you suggest David that causes it to behave differently to the DIS.

Thanks again,
Leon