Aircon set on Auto Queries....

B79MJW

Reaction score
Now coming from a A4 B8.5 the auto setting was great. Neer changed off it ever unless front demist.
In the new A3 well I think it's useless. First up can people clarify mines working on auto I have no settings on fan speed and positioning on the display as you change heat it changes however does not seem that dynamic as in heats or cools to a temp selected but dosent seem to change cabin settings around can't hear motors moving or even a change in fan speed what ever it's doing.

Just checking before I book it in. Seems to steam up all the time.

Recirc is on auto aswell obvs.

Just not impressed like most of the mmi issue and random warnings ppl report

Worst being at present the constant updating of user settings on ever start in mmi to my user.

I've noticed the windscreen mists up all of the time too, I've tried every setting and nothing seems to stop it happening.

Do you guys have the air con on ON or ECO?

I leave it at - ECO with auto and recirculation on auto too.
Sometimes it mists up (usually if it's really wet), then I flick the AC to ON, turn off auto, crank up the temp and blower (to say 22) and the mist goes away quickish.

Last edited:
Now coming from a A4 B8.5 the auto setting was great. Neer changed off it ever unless front demist.
In the new A3 well I think it's useless. First up can people clarify mines working on auto I have no settings on fan speed and positioning on the display as you change heat it changes however does not seem that dynamic as in heats or cools to a temp selected but dosent seem to change cabin settings around can't hear motors moving or even a change in fan speed what ever it's doing.

Just checking before I book it in. Seems to steam up all the time.

Recirc is on auto aswell obvs.

Just not impressed like most of the mmi issue and random warnings ppl report

Worst being at present the constant updating of user settings on ever start in mmi to my user.
Recirc Auto in the MMI is fine to cut out smells like behind a bus etc - What is the recirc button on in the car - If it's pulling colder air in from outside you'll mist up and vice versa

Air Con needs to be on to draw the moisture out

I leave it at - ECO with auto and recirculation on auto too.
Sometimes it mists up (usually if it's really wet), then I flick the AC to ON, turn off auto, crank up the temp and blower (to say 22) and the mist goes away quickish.
Is this faster than just pressing the demist button?

Reactions: DreamInCode
The windscreen button turns off the recirculating if I remember correctly and points everything at the screen

Reactions: AdamInKent
Is this faster than just pressing the demist button?
Hitting the front-windscreen de-mist button is ofcourse quicker but it sets everything to highest and is a bit too loud for me.

Reactions: AdamInKent
I've noticed the windscreen mists up all of the time too, I've tried every setting and nothing seems to stop it happening.
Check the drain on the scuttle at the base of the windscreen. If that's blocked and the scuttle fills with water, it'll make its way over the bulkhead and under the carpet. Then you will have the symptoms you describe. Had it not so long ago with a previous car.

If that has happened, be prepared for a lot of work drying out the cabin.

Check the drain on the scuttle at the base of the windscreen. If that's blocked and the scuttle fills with water, it'll make its way over the bulkhead and under the carpet. Then you will have the symptoms you describe. Had it not so long ago with a previous car.

If that has happened, be prepared for a lot of work drying out the cabin.
There is a recall for sealing the Plenham Chamber as well on the new A3

There is a recall for sealing the Plenham Chamber as well on the new A3
Can you point me in the direction of any info relating to this recall?

Take all of the above points on board and i know how to operate the fan system on a car to keep a clear screen. This Audi is significantly worse for misting up than any other car i've driven.

Thanks for any help.

Reactions: pafcpilgrim and DreamInCode
Dealer should be able to check your vehicle for updates - 3 software and the Plenum Chamber