Aircon Pulley Headaches

Dibs_h

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Got the car (1.9TDI 130 Avant - AVF eng code) up on a ramp and unbolted the a\c compressor and lowered\tilted it enough to get access to the pulley.

The plan was to get the drive plate off and replace the rubbers - which I got before.

Removed the circlip - no hex head on the shaft but the one with 2 flats. Held the pulley with a rubber strap wrench and mole grips on the flats.

Held the mole grips and tried turning the pulley assembly anti clockwise - nothing. Held the pulley and tried turning the mole grips clockwise - again nothing. Gave it a few goes but rather than have the grips slip repeatedly on the shaft end - stopped and put everything back as it was.

Even if I was to fit a new pulley, need to get the drive plate undone. Any ideas\advice? Really stumped on how to get the damn thing undone.

Cheers

Dibs

Spoke to a few friends in the trade and the consensus seems to be replace the pump when the pulley refuses to come off.

Did watch a few videos on YouTube and saw guys using a 3 pronged tool to spin off the pulley drive plate. Got the measurements of the holes for the prongs etc and getting a mate to knock me up a tool to use with an impact driver.

I'll post up an update as soon as I get the tool and try it out on the pulley\driveplate.

Cheers

Dibs