Aircon no cool air?

alinghi9

Reaction score
Hi

last week aircon was working fine producing cool air, today drove it back from the gym and its on the lowest temp setting and its not producing cool air? any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks

Could be quite a few things, best option is to have it serviced, quick fit do a re gas for around £35, if it wont hold the gas, its no charge i believe. Best place to start in my opinion..... If you need parts, eg a original compressor is around £600 from a stealer, but try coolyourcar.com or autoairconparts.com... Good luck and I hope its only a leaking seal @ a £1-00

This hapenned to me and it turned out the be the clutch mechanism. I too decided to have it serviced to see if it wasn't holding any gas and in hindsight I should have just taken it to the garage to diagnose as it cost me an extra gas charge that was not necessary.

ok i do think my car needs a service anyway so would probably make sense to get it done as there are a couple of things on the list that need to be looked at as well.

how long do those compressors last normally?

so the cars gone in for a service and a re gas, get the car back from audi and there still warm air, i did mention to them that the outside temp gauge was giving unusual readings as well. obviously nothing done...

anyone got any ideas here, definitely a compressor issue?

Is the aircon light light going out when you press it to switch on the aircon (if its a pre-facelift). Or coming on post facelift to show its coming on?

Did they charge you to scan it/re-gas it? Any report on findings?

You could try switching on and off the aircon with somebody listening to the compressor to see if its clicking off and on.

Khufu - not sure what you mean by pre/post facelift? basically when i turn the aircon on using the fan control and then set the temperature to say low or anything below 17 degrees its still warm.

well they charged to re gas and all but didnt test to see if this made any difference, which i was surprised about as i did insist they do a diagnostic as the car went for a service.

My climate is doing the same. I picked the car up last week and it was like that when I got it. It's just gone back to the dealer today to get it looked at so will let you know what they say.

mine too, apparently they reckon there was something wrong with their machine...

wasnt too happy that they didnt do a spot check on the car before i picked it up

will let you know if all is resolved as well.

I took mine to Audi and had it regassed as it had packed up. As you say they didnt check it and it didnt work at all when i got it home. Cost me nearly £300 with a disinfect etc.
I took it to my local bloke and he checked the gas and said it had under 10g in instead of the 50g it should have had. Regassed it with liquid Nitrogen and it now works better than it ever did. Cost £90. Moral, forget Audi main dealers.

Last edited:
Khufu - not sure what you mean by pre/post facelift? basically when i turn the aircon on using the fan control and then set the temperature to say low or anything below 17 degrees its still warm.

well they charged to re gas and all but didnt test to see if this made any difference, which i was surprised about as i did insist they do a diagnostic as the car went for a service.

there are two types of air con on the 8P A3, up to 2009 you pressed a button marked econ and when it lit up it meant the air con was off. After 2009 the version with the chrome switches etc on it came with a button marked air con that when lit up meant the air con was on. This is partially why the two systems arent interchangable for anybody wanting to upgrade to later style.

If there is a fault with the system, it will protect itself buy refusing to switch on the air con, this means depending on type of controls - either the light wont go out for older style (meaning its staying off) or wont come on on the newer style (meaning its off and wont switch on). Bit confusing!

Khufu - thanks for that, well i have 56 plate so I guess I have the first version, when you say chrome switches do you mean that the whole switch itself is chrome, as mine has chrome trimmings around the actual switch. anyway have that econ button that you mentioned. But I have to say i never recall actually pressing that button to have the aircon on, just put the temperature setting to LO and it would be pretty cold? unless that is the wrong way to do things?

So the got the car back and apparently quoting the service advisor, there valve on the compressor is not working so its a compressor issue and now he is trying to get audi to cover the costs....how would i know if that diagnosis is correct?

Paddy - I am assuming that when you had the re gas from your local guy you didnt have more technical problems? such as what i seem to have right?

hey guys - sorry to come back on this thread, just got a response back from Audi as they think my compressor is gone, the below is what they have said to me, does this sound right?

I have got the price you are looking at about £1250.75 including parts and labour and vat.

This includes replacing the a/c compressor and seperating the system into two and flushing
The circuit, once this is complete then you can replace the dryer and compressor.

Also includes replacing the outside ambient temp sender.

I would not advise replacing the compressor without flushing the system.

As the system can fail.

Where in the UK are you?

I'm about to get this very job done on my 54 plate 8P1 with Cool Wheels in St Helens - quoted £480 all in - won't charge you for it if it doesn't fix the problem!

london unfotrunately - 480 sounds more reasonable than what Audi quoted me, they are cowboys they didn't even diagnose the problem to begin with, will definitely have to find another place to get this done.

Just had my compressor replaced. Not sure if the warranty paid for it or the sales department as I don't believe it was working when I collected it. The service lady said it was about a £1000 job. Sounds like they should've done a recall on these.

adi nuff valves - i suppose your car is fairly new, as they just replaced it?