Aircon/interior blower

Toonsoldier91

It's my birthday
Reaction score
Afternoon everyone just been out in the car and noticed that after going into a shop that the air on wasn’t working And the fan was making a weird noise hard to describe

front fan comes on when air con is in and it does seem to cool i just can’t notice it as much as when fans are on full speed it’s like they used to be on 2 so not very powerful.

when I turned a/c off and on again the problem was solved and it worked until I got to the range but went back to how it was before after coming back to car

car is driven daily so I’m just after some ideas on what it can be. I’m gonna check the pollon filter to see how bad it this afternoon sometime. Apart from that I’m stuck as it sounds like the fan is blocked at times like struggling to suck air.

hope someone has had similar to this and can point me in the right direction

thanks

Have you checked your cabin filter isn’t completely blocked or soaking? Check the cheap stuff first as the filter is like a tenner to replace before spending loads on diagnostic

Have you checked your cabin filter isn’t completely blocked or soaking? Check the cheap stuff first as the filter is like a tenner to replace before spending loads on diagnostic
its due a service very soon so I’ll ask them to check I’ve checked the filter and it’s black but wouldn’t say blocked.
fans have stopped making the noise on the little run out

Attachments

• 0705660A-E981-49FB-90DF-CE516C557B0F.jpeg
    0705660A-E981-49FB-90DF-CE516C557B0F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 106
its due a service very soon so I’ll ask them to check I’ve checked the filter and it’s black but wouldn’t say blocked.
fans have stopped making the noise on the little run out
That filter is pretty dirty. Not enough to block the fan. Remember it pure white when new and not one bit of yours is white :wink:

That filter is pretty dirty. Not enough to block the fan. Remember it pure white when new and not one bit of yours is white :wink:
i know just thought it wasn’t bad enough to effect the flow

do you know if the ones audi supply are the standard ones or the carbon ones ?

i know just thought it wasn’t bad enough to effect the flow

do you know if the ones audi supply are the standard ones or the carbon ones ?
Can’t remember if they do. Normally if I was doing my own I would get the carbon ones. Mahle,Mann, Bosch and I think a brand called pureflux are the ones I use depending what’s available online or motor factors.
Audi recommends every 2 years whereas I change mine every year, bad allergies and really dusty/dirty where I live due to new houses getting built. So get a year of my aftermarket and a year of Audi oe. Both works well enough.

Can’t remember if they do. Normally if I was doing my own I would get the carbon ones. Mahle,Mann, Bosch and I think a brand called pureflux are the ones I use depending what’s available online or motor factors.
Audi recommends every 2 years whereas I change mine every year, bad allergies and really dusty/dirty where I live due to new houses getting built. So get a year of my aftermarket and a year of Audi oe. Both works well enough.

yeah I’m looking online and I ain’t changed it had the car 2 years. Don’t know if they did as part of the last service

do Audi change them as part of the service as mine is que in 3000 miles anyways. Free service so hopefully they include it and save me some

yeah I’m looking online and I ain’t changed it had the car 2 years. Don’t know if they did as part of the last service

do Audi change them as part of the service as mine is que in 3000 miles anyways. Free service so hopefully they include it and save me some
My service include the filter. Got that 2 year service plan last year and they changed it then.

Reactions: Toonsoldier91
My service include the filter. Got that 2 year service plan last year and they changed it then.

same here got the free 2 with the car.
looked on the Audi app and they apparently changed it feb last year then put it on a 18,000 long life service and when I rang they just said wait till it’s near the mileage limit as it’s long life it was 2 year old in may so would have been due may if I didn’t do silly mileage the first year.

gonna ring tomorrow and book it in anyways as I don’t like waiting too long between services and it turns out looking on the app I have a 23cy update for the control unit or something

Reactions: AlS3BE
Looking back at your photo I can’t make out if it’s just a dirty filter or if it’s a used carbon filter. If it’s a carbon one then it’s not too bad.
A pic of new carbon
240C8062 1CD9 485B A950 5C6FA53FE190

Looking back at your photo I can’t make out if it’s just a dirty filter or if it’s a used carbon filter. If it’s a carbon one then it’s not too bad.
A pic of new carbon
View attachment 240634

that’s why I thought it wasn’t too bad as they come black normally but looking on eBay they are a tinge green

I’ll get it back out and get the part number to confirm there the same tomorrow

either way I think I’ll change it regardless to rule that out if it keeps playing up until i can get the car in for its service as they won’t change it this time I don’t think as it’s every 2 years isn’t it ?

Attachments

• CC1D8D73-6C1B-43AF-819A-56C473D8DD0B.jpeg
    CC1D8D73-6C1B-43AF-819A-56C473D8DD0B.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 85
Ooh never seen a green one before. I’ve done loads of filter on numerous brands. It’s either white or grey. That’s interesting in a sad way :wink:

Ooh never seen a green one before. I’ve done loads of filter on numerous brands. It’s either white or grey. That’s interesting in a sad way :wink:

interestingly I’ve just got in from work and on the way back the ac was that cold you could see my breath
car was doing a regen at the time so don’t know if this helped as it seemed to ease off again once It stopped. Will continue to monitor it as in up at hospital in a few hours for a appointment

going to find a local ac place to have a look over it as audi want 150 just to regas !!

When you say the front fans were making a weird noise, the dash fan or the rad pack fans?

Yes that filter is dirty, clean out the filter housing too then run the unit, & see if it makes any difference with the filter out, unless you're driving it wont suck in anything big, but I'd test that way.

Could be the main climate fan is playing up.

When you say the front fans were making a weird noise, the dash fan or the rad pack fans?

Yes that filter is dirty, clean out the filter housing too then run the unit, & see if it makes any difference with the filter out, unless you're driving it wont suck in anything big, but I'd test that way.

Could be the main climate fan is playing up.
It’s the cabin fan mate, what I’ve noticed is when driving the aircon seems much more cooler then idle or in slow traffic

video of the noise when fan is turned up and when the fan is on number 3 it’s like someone’s breathing on me

as you can hear in the video when the fans are turned up a noticeable noise appears that sounds like it’s struggling with air flow ? I’ll go buy a filter from euros today and report back if that doesn’t work I’ll just bite the bullet and get it re gassed somewhere local and if that doesn’t work then god knows

Just been for a new filter and a probe to check temperature. It’s reading around 14/16 degrees too small to see properly surely that’s a tad too warm yet on the way home from work it was numb grrr

Do you have vcds or similar? You can see the temp reading for the sensors around the car. Might be faulty sensor giving the wrong reading or the flaps not working.

Filter changed started car and noise has gone and aircon has jumped down to almost the green. Reading around 8degree c when standing still. hope this has solved the issue and I don’t need a regas but the signs are good as the fan power on 3 seems to be back to what it was but I’m still not 100% yet as it was fine on the way home

will update in a day or 2 when I’ve done a few miles to and from work etc

Do you have vcds or similar? You can see the temp reading for the sensors around the car. Might be faulty sensor giving the wrong reading or the flaps not working.

no I don’t I only have the carista dongle

ive got no warnings or anything only thing I could add to this is the water level is slightly low but not enough to trigger the low warning sensor.

seems to be much better after changing the filter

was almost touching 60degree f when driving on the way back from buying the stick from halfrauds

Attachments

• 5C30BA02-A5A6-4AD7-9086-E76C4C700294.jpeg
    5C30BA02-A5A6-4AD7-9086-E76C4C700294.jpeg
    736.5 KB · Views: 83
no I don’t I only have the carista dongle

ive got no warnings or anything only thing I could add to this is the water level is slightly low but not enough to trigger the low warning sensor.

seems to be much better after changing the filter

was almost touching 60degree f when driving on the way back from buying the stick from halfrauds
That’s cold. :icon thumright:
was meaning using vcds or the likes to check the flaps and see if it’s not operating properly, that’s could be the cause of that whine like noise but sounds like the filter has done the trick. Easy cheap fix hopefully.

Note it’s not pure white. The b9 uses activated carbon. Ie appears black. Look for dust and do a smell test.

little update everyone. Left work aircon went straight down to around 4/6 degree at the vents. Then after about 5/10 minutes started to rise and didn’t drop back down.

I stoped at the shop for literally 2 minutes and when I’ve re started the car the aircon shot down to 4/6 degree again

any more ideas Before I Chuck more cash away for the re charge

also the noise is still there. When I had the filter out I did notice the 2 flaps open. Weather they opened fully I’ve no idea didn’t want to Chuck my hand in with the fan going but they did open quite a bit

That’s cold. :icon thumright:
was meaning using vcds or the likes to check the flaps and see if it’s not operating properly, that’s could be the cause of that whine like noise but sounds like the filter has done the trick. Easy cheap fix hopefully.

not cold enough. I managed to get 4/6 degree today on way back from work it then went back up after 5/10 mins driving

What system have you got? Manual a/c or climate control? For climate control, I'd expect the vent temperature to fluctuate as the system gets the cabin to the set temperature. It's supposed to blend the cold and warm air feeds. Given that you're getting properly cold air from the vents would indicate to me that your gas levels are fine but I'm no expert.

Last edited:
Don’t think regassing is going to help. If it can get cold it means there’s enough gas there. It’s something that either controls air flow like the flaps or a sensor that’s gone or giving incorrect signals.
Think you need to find someone with vcds and read the live data with your thermometer and see if the readings are correct. On the a3 there’s a a temp sensor in the side vents and by the foot. I would assume your b9 will be the same with probably more sensors elsewhere.

What system have you got? Manual a/c or climate control? For climate control, I'd expect the vent temperature to fluctuate as the system gets the cabin the the set temperature. It's supposed to blend the cold and warm air feeds. Given that you're getting properly cold air from the vents would indicate to me that your gas levels are fine but I'm no expert.

mines the climate

understand it blends the hot and cold etc but mines just set to low and for the 2 years it’s always been cold plus once it Starts to rise it doesn’t go back down until the car is turned off and back on.

Don’t think regassing is going to help. If it can get cold it means there’s enough gas there. It’s something that either controls air flow like the flaps or a sensor that’s gone or giving incorrect signals.
Think you need to find someone with vcds and read the live data with your thermometer and see if the readings are correct. On the a3 there’s a a temp sensor in the side vents and by the foot. I would assume your b9 will be the same with probably more sensors elsewhere.

that’s what I’m thinking thats why I’m stumped. Obvs there’s no warnings and the aircon isn’t grayed out or anything. My local garage is going to have a look hopefully they’ll put there computers on and find a stored code or something.

am I correct in thinking that a low level even though it still works will cause icing and stop it running ? Sure I’ve read that somewhere before

Less then half the amount of gas left in. hope it’s now sorted 120 for the re gas as it’s the newer stuff that costs more

Attachments

• 6A3192B5-B43C-4494-A29E-325B54B6A450.jpeg
    6A3192B5-B43C-4494-A29E-325B54B6A450.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
Hopefully that's it all sorted for you and not for too much coin. I presume they've pressure tested and confirmed no leaks? I hadn't noticed my a/c wasn't working properly as it wasn't during warm weather but found a leak of the PAG oil last year and needed a replacement a/c condenser. The quote for that was far more than your re-gas.

Hopefully that's it all sorted for you and not for too much coin. I presume they've pressure tested and confirmed no leaks? I hadn't noticed my a/c wasn't working properly as it wasn't during warm weather but found a leak of the PAG oil last year and needed a replacement a/c condenser. The quote for that was far more than your re-gas.

I few your pain it’s something I need as for some reason I’m always red hot mines just set to low 90% of the time. It’s only when there’s ice on the screen I set it any higher to help aid the ice removal

they said they pressure tested it and everything was fine. the guys been around years and said with the car being 4 and a half its What he would have expected to come out.
sharp find out over the next week or so. But so far it’s sitting between 6/8 on that dial I have ( that isn’t very accurate as his showed 4degree and I’d trust his over a 5 quid Halfords thing ) so all good doesn’t warm up like it did etc