Aircon blowing different temperatures!

Nelson15

Reaction score
Have got a slight problem with my 03 TDI Sports aircon!

Got into the car after work at 4.30am and put the aircon onto Auto, and HIGH because it was baltic outside, and about 10 minutes later as is usually the case, it's warmed up but the area over the armrest is quite chilly. I've always put the down in the past as being there was no air vents pointing there so it took longer to warm up.

I leant across to direct the passenger vent by the door across to point it ini my direction, to find that it was blasting out freezing cold air, like it was set to LO. This was also the case in the vent in the centre of the dash pointing at the windscreen, left blowing LO, right side on HIGH, even though the controls both say HIGH. I tried reducing the temperatures, turning ECON on, reducing fan, increasing fan, lots of different permutations, but none really seem to change it!

Anyone got any ideas as to what it could be that's causing it?

John

bubstar said:

what's that going to achieve?

Sounds like you have a problem with the passenger side air distribution, all the blower vents are controlled by a lot of independant servo's and it sounds like somthing has stopped working.

If it's under warranty I would take it in and get it sorted.

The B6 climate is pretty poor imo, they changed it in the B7 to alow you to drop the temp to 16c as 18c is just to warm, I hate my climate control, the b5 version was much better and held a constant temprature much better.

Also B6 Audi's are notorius for blower motor failure, and they cost a fortune to replace £200+

********, not really easy fix then. It's not under warranty unfortunately, but it's going in for a service in the next few months so I'll hopefully try and sort something out then.

ronny said:
what's that going to achieve?

It might help the OP actually understand how climate control works. It's quite unlike having a 3 knobs on the dash.

For a start there's no point in setting the temp to HI first thing because it won't warm the cabin up any faster. The system will heat the cabin as fast as possible and then maintain the set temp. It's quite normal for the vents to blow cool air as it adjusts the temp.

I've had my car over 3 years and never had the temp over 24°c.
Most of the time it's 20-21 and if it's cold it may go up to 23°c. Any higher and the car turns into an oven!

I've never had climate in a car before and TBH I'm not a fan either but I guess we're stuck with it so we might as well know how to use it to it's full potential.

ronny said:
The B6 climate is pretty poor imo, they changed it in the B7 to alow you to drop the temp to 16c as 18c is just to warm, I hate my climate control, the b5 version was much better and held a constant temprature much better.

That's not stricly true, my B6 goes down to 16°c. I think it was from the '04 MY.

BUB :beerchug:

If I'm entirely honest, I couldn't give a monkey's how it works, all I want it to do at half four in the morning, after standing for 5 hours in the street telling pished people that no they can't try my hat on, is heat up the car to the temperature of an oven so I can be toasty warm for the half hour drive home.

Neither of your posts really explain why one side is doing something else from the other, and preaching about 'how I should use it' really hasn't helped me fix the problem...

... but thanks for your input!:thumbsup: