Airbag warning light

I

imported_rustys3

Hi folks,
today when I started my car the airbag warning light came on and stayed on.
When I got home I connected Vag-com to the car and checked for fault codes.
The only fault code that came up was 65535 Internal control module memory error.
When I try to reset/clear the fault code it does not disappear.
Can anyone tell me if the Airbag module is F#*k'd or is it something the Stealer can reset.
The module no is 8L0 959 655 J.

Cheers
Rusty

I think it might be fecked. As far as I have read, the 65535 error is not a good one, and usually means something is busted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Look here for a 65535 in relation to an alarm problem.

The post also mentions airbags.

Hope this helps.

I managed to do some digging myself and found that 65535 code means it is F#*k'd.
Can anyone answer the following:-

1) How do you remove the centre console to gain access to the Airbag control module?

2) Can the car be run without the airbag control module?

3) When fitting a new module is VAGCOM required to marry-up the new module to the car?

4) Where I can get a new control module?

Cheers
Rusty

Experienced the same thing this last month...warning light coming on and staying on.
Car still runs ok...but none of the airbags will work while light is on. Had same error code on VAGCOM, and Audi dealer price for replacement module is £360 ex VAT and labour.
Trying to discover if these modules can be repaired rather than replaced.
Will keep you posted.

Quick follow up...
Audi could not repair the module, and had to replace the unit.
Original Airbag control module unit had part number:-
8L0 959 655 G
Replaced with 8L0 959 655 L

Price for unit was in fact £261 ex VAT - not the £360 I mentioned above.
3 hours labour.
All in price for repair was £589.62.

oh crap, this is the code i have just found on my car after the airbag light came on.. damn! i am just about to sell the car too!

does anyone have any info on if i can fit a new unit myself, i can get one from vagparts apparently... i dont have vagcom myself, a local garage has it for 50 quid a go. will they be able to reprogramme it?

i cant face 600 quid from a dealer...

failing that its gonna be some black elctrical tape over the light haha (not really)

i had the dreaded 65535 on my car too. you can do it your self its quite easy you take off the plastic surround round the handbrake/gear stick and remove some of the heater duct and its below the ash tray area.
It only take about 2 mins to recode the new module so anyone with vagcom can do it, £50 sound a little steep!

hi, i have got a second hand module, form a car whos airbag has deployed (ie. a written off motor) might there be a problem getting the module programed to my car as per a new unit?
or should it be ok as long as the unit is functioning ok. ???
thanks.