Airbag Resistor: Which two wires??

Final 3Green Land

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an A4 TDi of 1998 vintage that I have temporarily swapped, the front seats whilst my originals are being refurbished...

My queries is, which two wires do I connect the resistor to, to allow for the Airbag light to be extinguished.

There are three wires, a brown... A white with a blue trace and a white with a brown trace.

Anyone know the answer? The searches I have done have not given me the solution....

TIA

FTGL

Even if you connect a resistor to the wires the air bag light will remain on until the fault codes are cleared. Do you have access to Vag-com ?.

That wasnt my question but I do....

The thing I need is advice on which of the three wires are bridged by the resistors?? The wiring colours appear different from most other posts on here...

And, just in case you were wondering, the battery has been disconnected from the beginning of the exercise so shouldn't throw a red light anyway.. :hi:

Well, again, I have managed to get to the correct answer...

The brown earth wire can be disregarded completely.

The resistor of 4.7 ohm is then connected between the two wires in the yellow connector.

I soldered the resistor to these two wires, then insulated them leaving the connector plug in place for when the original seats are refitted. The resistor can then be cut out of the loom.

AND, as these changes were made without the battery being connected, NO VAGCOM/VCDS was required and when the battery was reconnected and the ign switched on, the airbag light extinguished after about five seconds.

Just to sum up for those with out VCDS...

If you disconnect the battery before you do any work on this circuit, NO VAGCOM/VCDS is necessary.

:thumbs up::thumbs up::rock::rock::hi::hi:

Reactions: lakers1234, Glasgowaudi and mikep99
You're probably not on here anymore but do u remember how many W resistor? 4,7ohm but how many W?

You're probably not on here anymore but do u remember how many W resistor? 4,7ohm but how many W?

This may or may not help you. I used one of these inserted as follows.

Attachments

• IMG_6142.png
    IMG_6142.png
    588.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 74658103-3521-4196-abbd-a5d6199a84ab.jpeg
    74658103-3521-4196-abbd-a5d6199a84ab.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 66a4e450-12b2-49a0-8578-35e91c5c2368.jpeg
    66a4e450-12b2-49a0-8578-35e91c5c2368.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 48
U have that plugged in the whole time and the light disappears after u clear codes?

I have it plugged in permanently yes. I fitted it when I installed pole position seats. I never had an airbag light on as I disconnected the battery, installed the resistors along with the new seats, and reconnected the battery.

If you have confirmed it’s definitely this connection that’s causing your airbag light, then installing this resistor should fix the problem after codes have been cleared. There are of course several things that can cause the airbag light to appear.

I have it plugged in permanently yes. I fitted it when I installed pole position seats. I never had an airbag light on as I disconnected the battery, installed the resistors along with the new seats, and reconnected the battery.

If you have confirmed it’s definitely this connection that’s causing your airbag light, then installing this resistor should fix the problem after codes have been cleared. There are of course several things that can cause the airbag light to appear.
Yes thanks, i have switched seats to some that don't have airbags