airbag light

audi doodey

Reaction score
hi all
a week ago my airbag light came on,so i took it to my local independant and he said they cleaned something and reset something else and it should be fine.
well yesterday some mutant pulls out in front of me sound i use my horn and what do you know the kin airbag light has come on again
what do you think the problem is chaps ?
regards.

you need to vag-com it to find out which sensor is playing up, i had this problem on my A4 which was the seat airbag which is a common problem.
I cleaned the contacts under the seat and cleared the code, it would stay clear for a few days and then reappear, so

i sold the car.

Hi,

Mine is going into the garage tomorrow for the same thing! When I told the garage about he said it's more than likely a wiring problem rather than a sensor. They said that when moving the drivers seat it can pull at the wire as it wasn't made long enough!! So they add a couple of inches to it.

Will let you know what they say.

Regards,
Paul

The seatbag sensor seems to be more of a problem with A3's for some reason but heard of a few A4's with the same issue. Simple solution is to remove the plug connector & solder the wires together permanently. Heard more A4's with faulty bumper sensors though to be honest, should show up on a vagcom scan.

I had this fault, it was the connector under the passenger seat, I had to solder the connection in the end.

another possible reason for it coming on when using the horn, is a bit called the "clockspring" unit that carries the airbag signal through the steering coupling allowing it to be turned when steering without breaking wires. Inside it is a ring of flat ribbon cable with a sliding contact and it can go faulty but its a replacement job and can't be soldered if the ribbon has cracked :( - they are cheap though :)

Did they remove the airbag and check its not just a loose connection to the firing pins on the back of the centre pad?

Heres a link to a clockspring on fleabay:

cheers mate, never noticed that but the b6 will have one too, all airbag equipped cars have them, it was just an example :)

yeah they do scots i am sellin one at the moment on ebay

Hi Guys,

Got mine back from the dealers today after being serviced and the problem with my air bag light was that some of the wires from the connector had come out from under the passenger seat. All sorted and audi didn't even charge me for it.

Paul

ah, i had that on a vectra 10 years ago, glad you got it sorted cheap :)