Airbag light after glovebox removal

Roswell

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Finally got the time to install my Phatbox in the glove box.

The only problem is that I disconnected the cable going into the back of the glove box to enable me to remove it to do the necessary cutting and now that everything else is back in place, and the Phatbox is up and running /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, the airbag warning light on the dash won't go out!!

Is there anything I can do or is it something the dealer or someone with Vagcom will have to do??

Thanks,

Roswell

Oh and Happy New Year to you all!!

I had the same happen to me, and the only way I was able to get it fixed was with Vagcom. Naturally the dealers can also fix it. With Vagcom it's a really simple operation, won't take more than a minute or so. Just clear the error code from the airbag controller, and you are done.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Don't have Vagcom.........anyone in the Glasgow or Stirling area who can help?

Did the same install a few weeks ago and got no airbag warning light. Sure you didn't tug an airbag cable out of its socket or summat when removing/replacing glovebox?

Did you guys turn the ignition power on at any point when you had the cable disconnected? I am not 100% sure, but I think the light comes on only if you do this. Oh, and ofcourse you need to have the passenger airbar switch in your glovebox for this to happen in the first place.

Yes it's totally normal but apparently all airbags will be disabled with the airbag light on so get into the stealers sooner rather than later.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you guys turn the ignition power on at any point when you had the cable disconnected? I am not 100% sure, but I think the light comes on only if you do this. Oh, and ofcourse you need to have the passenger airbar switch in your glovebox for this to happen in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't have the ignition on at any time whilst removing /replacing the glovebox.

It doesn't make any difference, although it should as the airbags won't deploy with the ignition off as far as I know, so how do they know you've unplugged/plugged the glovebox?

I've taken the glovebox off several times, and I could almost swear that the light didn't appear everytime. The only difference between these times was whether I had turned the ignition on or not.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and ofcourse you need to have the passenger airbar switch in your glovebox for this to happen in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

aha. Silly me. thats why I didn't get the airbag light as I don't have the airbag disabling switch in my glovebox