Airbag light after Glovebox change

PJMask

Reaction score
Hi, I replaced a broken glovebox - now I have an airbag light on the dashboard (and also orange light in the ceiling saying passenger airbag not enabled).

From what I've seen in forums I believe this cant be reset with a simple scanner, but that it needs full VCDS. Is there anyone near Bracknell who might be able to help? Obviously happy to pay for time etc, would rather do that thought then go to a car garage

Any thoughts/advice appreciated!! Thanks

3 ohm resistor. Done. I like to use 0603 3 ohm resistors on a clipped header strip. The smallest fix ever!
Or you could check all the yellow connector plugs systematically, but do disconnect the battery and discharge system by trying to crank.

Also check the connector to the baby seat airbag disabling switch is connected.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Thanks Leo. I have to admit I'm a newbie and have no idea what the above means. I was under impression that taking glovebox out (I replaced the entire unit with another due to broken hinges) means you have to reset the airbag through VCDS. Obviously safety is my top priority, I need to know that I'm not just turning the light off but that the airbag is actually working...
Re the connector to baby seat airbag - are we talking the same thing here, basically front passenger seat? There's only one connector at the back of the glovebox and that's clicked in, i've used the key to ensure airbag switch is set to "on"...
Any help appreciated, thanks!

Yes you've done what I would have done. Maybe a extra bit of resistance in that circuit now. The way the system checks is it measures the resistance of each airbag/tensioner circuit and flags any which are either too low or high.
The 3 ohm resistor, fools the tests, but is only used as a temporary fix.
I'd try the switch the other way, and see if it changes anything.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by a 3-ohm resistor, or "switch the other way". Have to confess I'm a complete novice with this - I know nothing other than I need to make sure the airbag is working. I don't have any equipment at the moment but was under the impression a normal OBD2 scanner wouldn't sort this issue?

In, or next to, the glove box is a switch that enables/disables the passenger airbag. They are usually only switchable by using the ignition key. Information should be in the user manual. May be the previous owner disabled the airbag, so switch it the other way.

Yes the passenger airbag switch is at "on". I understand though that from disconnecting it in the first place it still needs to be reset - usually via VCDS

With a cheap Elm327 Bluetooth device from amazon, you can read error codes. Personally I got a China clone of Ross tech cable, takes longer to arrive.
Try installing old glovebox back in, or just the electrical component, with yellow plugs, to see if that fixes issue.
I am no expert, but the airbag system checks every time you cycle the key, so unless it has detected a deployment, it should clear.
On alfas a simple bump start could generate crash data in airbag module, but haven't seen it with vags.
Good luck.

I guess you didn’t disconnect the battery when you replaced the glove box airbag switch?
What’s most likely happened is the battery still connected and you have disturbed the airbag circuit that’s thrown a fault, in your case the switch in the glovebox for passenger airbag. It’s like changing steering wheels and seats, if the battery isn’t disconnected it throws a fault sometimes even if it is disconnected it can still throw a code. If everything is fine then any obd reader should reset the code.

Thanks. I didn’t disconnect battery first - guess I’ll know that for next time. I’ll buy an obd reader in that case. Cheers!

Update: I bought an OBD2 scanner (Foseal) which shows two error codes ("camshaft position sensor B Circuit High Bank 1" and "HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1").

But nothing there about Airbags. Am I right this needs VCDS then? Can anyone shine a light on this? Was really hoping to find an answer to fix myself rather than taking to a garage...

As above airbag codes are "hard/persistent". If you trigger one it wont just fix itself when you reconnect the sensor or whatever. VCDS or some other fairly expensive scanner, Snap-on etc can clear them. Just take it to a decent garage and they'll do it in 5 minutes

@NateS2 thanks for the advice, I took it to a garage. Think they would have been able to clear it but it turns out i have a faulty airbag switch in the new glove compartment. I'm so pleased i threw away my old glove compartment with a working switch (sigh). I've bought a new switch on ebay which i'll fit and then hopefully the garage can clear the fault. And i thought replacing a glove compartment would be cheap and easy...

@NateS2 thanks for the advice, I took it to a garage. Think they would have been able to clear it but it turns out i have a faulty airbag switch in the new glove compartment. I'm so pleased i threw away my old glove compartment with a working switch (sigh). I've bought a new switch on ebay which i'll fit and then hopefully the garage can clear the fault. And i thought replacing a glove compartment would be cheap and easy...
Nothing ever easy in new cars. Computers on wheels that doesn’t like anything you do.
cant change a light bulb nowadays without some diag scanner/tool.