Air intakes and intercoolers

martin33100

Reaction score
Hi guys, just after some advice really on these 2.5's as it was a while ago when I had my last tuned petrol (S3).
I am going to try and fit a RSQ3 engine in my VW T5, when I spoke to Andy at Storm he said the engine was very similar to the RS3 but just de-tuned.

So basically what kind of air intakes are people running and also what intercoolers?.
I know I will have to run a T5 intercooler however I want to see what intercoolers you guys are using so I can compare specs.
I currently run a Wagner bar and plate with great results on my current diesel but they also offer a larger tube and fin race intercooler.
Also Airtec would be an option.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Tristan
Running Eventuri intake, absolutely love it. Great sound and noticeable performance gain.

ae17e56b0e548dcbbdaed38406a71da0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Drewsus and Tristan
Hi guys, just after some advice really on these 2.5's as it was a while ago when I had my last tuned petrol (S3).
I am going to try and fit a RSQ3 engine in my VW T5, when I spoke to Andy at Storm he said the engine was very similar to the RS3 but just de-tuned.

So basically what kind of air intakes are people running and also what intercoolers?.
I know I will have to run a T5 intercooler however I want to see what intercoolers you guys are using so I can compare specs.
I currently run a Wagner bar and plate with great results on my current diesel but they also offer a larger tube and fin race intercooler.

Also run an eventuri intake on the facelift. I've heard that they have released a revised stage 3 upgrade on the eventuri at around £1500 so not too much on top of mine and hawesy25's system.

Quality wise I have hear a lot of good things about the forge unit but also have heard a lot about the Wagner evo 3 which has been excellent for my car.

Other options for the intake include integrated engineering and 034 open cone which were my two other options. Had positive experiences of the eventuri on a previous car hence the purchase. I feel like it was money well spent but have seen a couple reselling close to £1000 so may sell and swap for the newer system.

Reactions: hawesy25
Forge do an intercooler for the T5 however the Wagner unit is in a different league.
I will probably get the turbo rebuilt with slightly bigger wheels as the turbo company I currently use for my hybrids as done them before, may also have to run Syvecs.

Forge do an intercooler for the T5 however the Wagner unit is in a different league.
I will probably get the turbo rebuilt with slightly bigger wheels as the turbo company I currently use for my hybrids as done them before, may also have to run Syvecs.
A big turbo setup built motor and a syvecs ECU is the ultimate target with the rs3 for me.

The way I've seen syvecs rs3s pull and the extensive functionality such as the rolling launch, the normal launch and things like flex fuel make it highly appealing. Well worth the price.

Forgot to mention my tuner advised that the inlet turbo elbow pipe was a highly restrictive part of the rs3s intake system. It is a separate part to the actual air intake system, but vital as it is the connection between the turbo and the intake pipe which in turn leads to the air box. I went from 502 Bhp to 520 bhp 710nm to 730nm with just that small part at the time.

Only thing I question is whether it is the same across all the 2.5 tfsi units or if it differs between the daza facelift lump vs pre facelift / rs3 engine vs rsq3 engine.

Forge motorsports currently have one available in silicone which I run, as well as some very high quality aircraft material fabricated units from stateside: unitronic, integrated engineering and apr all have one but I've been told they're only available for left hand drive units

Thanks for the info, I would only be going Syvecs for the ease of installation but agree it's a great bit of kit but costs around 4K.
I do have the complete RSQ3 donor car but it may be to much work trying to get all the OE management working in the T5.
To go with Syvecs I can also get standalone controllers for the DSG and Haldex as well.

I will look into the turbo air intake, my current TDI turbo runs an alley turbo inlet elbow, most companies that hybrid the turbo's machine the inside of the air intake to match the size of the new compressor wheel used.
Or as you say I could look into replacing the elbow complete.

Thanks for the info, I would only be going Syvecs for the ease of installation but agree it's a great bit of kit but costs around 4K.
I do have the complete RSQ3 donor car but it may be to much work trying to get all the OE management working in the T5.
To go with Syvecs I can also get standalone controllers for the DSG and Haldex as well.

I will look into the turbo air intake, my current TDI turbo runs an alley turbo inlet elbow, most companies that hybrid the turbo's machine the inside of the air intake to match the size of the new compressor wheel used.
Or as you say I could look into replacing the elbow complete.
Were you referring to port matching the inlet elbow. I think the unitronic 4" inlet elbow made around 15 whp on top of the integrated engineering unit or the smaller older unitronic unit but it was the oversized design with smooth as possible internal surface that made it such an efficient upgrade.

Forge motorsports currently have one available in silicone which I run, as well as some very high quality aircraft material fabricated units from stateside: unitronic, integrated engineering and apr all have one but I've been told they're only available for left hand drive units

The issue with the larger 4" turbo inlet pipes is clearance against the brake booster on RHD, so in a custom fitted engine it may well work just fine with RHD and certainly worth it from the figures I've seen!

I have the Forge silicone elbow fitted with very good results, I also have the latest 3" Unitronic production model here that should fit RHD without issues. I plan to swap it out for the Forge in the coming weeks and compare. The forge is the only one that has options for hybrid turbo's, and a 3.5" outlet.

The issue with the larger 4" turbo inlet pipes is clearance against the brake booster on RHD, so in a custom fitted engine it may well work just fine with RHD and certainly worth it from the figures I've seen!

I have the Forge silicone elbow fitted with very good results, I also have the latest 3" Unitronic production model here that should fit RHD without issues. I plan to swap it out for the Forge in the coming weeks and compare. The forge is the only one that has options for hybrid turbo's, and a 3.5" outlet.
Yes I was wondering what I would be doing about the outlet size since my intake pipe is 3.5 inches or so lol. I have heard a rumour that unitronic are designing one for rhd. I did suspect an engine swap would change the whole situation with the fitment

Were you referring to port matching the inlet elbow. I think the unitronic 4" inlet elbow made around 15 whp on top of the integrated engineering unit or the smaller older unitronic unit but it was the oversized design with smooth as possible internal surface that made it such an efficient upgrade.
Yes I was referring to port match the inlet elbow.
I did the same on my current turbo, after the compressor housing had been machined to take the bigger comp wheel I fitted the inlet elbow and matched the ID of the elbow to the ID of the compressor housing.

It may be easier for me to get the engine fitted first and then re-ask these questions.
My aim is around 500-550hp.