1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Server Issues [Search] 21-22/07/18

We are currently rebuilding the site's search index due to an earlier database problem, so search results will be incomplete for a time. The process happens quite quickly, and we'll be keeping an eye on it. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime.

Thanks for your patience.

ASN Admin
    Dismiss Notice

Air intake Holes

Booboo May 9, 2018

1. Booboo

Booboo Active Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Black Edition quattro S tronic S-line owners group

[​IMG]
    What he purpose of these holes on the air intake?
    Allowing all the cool air to leak in the hot engine bay! Or indeed allowing the engine to suck in warm air from the engine bay!
    I notice the APR after market intake don't have these.
    Seems crazy to me

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Rich76

Rich76 Active Member Team Phantom TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 S-line owners group

Not sure but I’ve opened the blanking panels up in the grill to get cold air directly in to that scoop!

4. Booboo

Booboo Active Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Black Edition quattro S tronic S-line owners group

I'm on that tommoz pal

5. Rich76

How did you get on?

I’m told there is a part of the base of the airbox you can remove to help out!
    Also looking at an aftermarket airfilter to put in the box

6. Booboo

Not done the grill yet.
    There is a circular part in the bootom of the air box directed towards the inner wing I've opened that out. Just like this fella has here:-
    [​IMG]

7. Chris90

Chris90 Active Member VCDS Map User

Looks prime for a piece tubing on there and a cold air feed!

Booboo likes this.
  8. Rich76

I’ll be looking in to this next week!

I have a couple of air scoops in the man cave!
    Just need a bit of air duct to go with it !

9. Booboo

Indeed it does. I've covered the holes I mentioned in the first post.
    Why let the cool air release once you have 'caught' it ?
    This is what MRC do as part of their stage 1 package to increase air flow.
    (that what text was with the picture above )

10. Rich76

My only concern with holes in the bottle is if it’s clean air or I’ll be forever changing filters

11. Rich76

I’ve got a nice sheet of carbon fibre I can trim to cover those holes !

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Rich76

As a temp measure I have just taped the holes up on the top of the inlet !

Late start at work on Monday so I’ll be looking to drill some holes in the bottom !
    Think I’ll go for a number of smaller ones though !
    Might also look at ducting cold air from behind the grill to the scoop

Booboo likes this.
  14. Rich76

Need the do more miles in the car with the temporary blank at the top in place

Was playing around in the car today and found it to be really bogging down on high rev situations when going from first to second to thirdc

15. Booboo

You need to open the the bottom hole.
    That makes all the difference!
    Mine feels a lot more lively

16. Rich76

I’ll be doing that tomorrow if it’s dry !

Going to look at bringing a section of ducting pipe across to the actual grill a d force cold air in towards the scoop

17. Rich76

Did mine this morning !

Only took an hour to strip and rebuild , complete with modifications!

Genuine carbon fibre blanking plate, I have enough sheet left that I can make a few more of these if any one wants them !!

Attached Files:

Booboo likes this.
  18. Booboo

Loving your work there bud.
    The carbon fibre strip looks excellent too.
    Might drill my grill blanking plate, not done that yet :readit:

19. Rich76

I can supply you a carbon blanking plate if you want !

Next up might be the honeycomb fog surrounds

20. Booboo

How much we looking for the carbon plate?

21. Rich76

I’ve posted a forsake add

Must say I had a play with a wanna be m3 on the way home tonight and there is a distinct improvement in the pick up !

Need a panel filter now

22. Rich76

Well after doing a few miles with this I think it has had a positive effect on the pickup of the car and I’m getting a better mpg for some reason !

Roadrunner146 likes this.
  23. Hellz

Hellz Geordie Racer Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi S5 Black Edition quattro S tronic Supercharged Sportback

I fit a forge intake and K&N filter this morning, drilled the airbox as well as per the above - haven't checked mpg but the car definitely sounds and feels better! Stage1+ next week :)

Roadrunner146 likes this.
  24. Rich76

Yeah I’m tempted to go stage one but as I share the car with wife I’m not sure she would appreciate it!

25. Roadrunner146

Roadrunner146 Active Member Team Moonlight TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro Supercharged S-line owners group

Just had mine mapped to 450, and it's still a pussy cat to drive and an animal when you put your foot further to the floor. ;-))

Rich76 likes this.
  26. Rich76

Wow!
    I’d be looking at 250-260 as plenty !

Think I’ll let her her keep her montune tuned fiesta!

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  27. Booboo

I have a TMC tuning box & a DTUK pedal box on mine. TMC say it takes it from 225bhp to 281 on their site.

28. mdmay

mdmay Active Member

glad your pleased with it. It certainly improves the sound no end. I add about 3 holes with a 40mm hole saw in the air box near the inner wing and added an additional cold air feed to it too

Rich76 and Hellz like this.
  29. Hellz

Hellz Geordie Racer Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi S5 Black Edition quattro S tronic Supercharged Sportback

Car in this morning for stage 1+, should have it back mid-afternoon complete with RR before and after :)

30. Booboo

Look forward to seeing some results

31. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

This thread keeps making me think of speed holes.

Hellz likes this.