Air Filters....

Masonz31

Reaction score
Hi All

I know there has been threads before but I wanted to get a bit more tailored info! I have a new Audi S1 and I am looking to get a new air filter for it. I want to know a) which is best K&N or Pipercross and b) will it make any difference either audible or performance with just changing the filter ie. no hose chance.

Cheers

Ben

If you have a new, nice S1 I would only use a standard, clean panel filter. In my view, the so called “performance” panel filters made by the likes of K&N and Pipercross are a complete waste of money and provide no performance improvement. They are also covered in a form of oil or greasy slime (Pipercross sponge type) which can get sucked into the inlet system and damage (over time) the sensitive wire probes in the MAF sensor. I’ve even known the Pipercross variety to be so poorly made that it would not fit into an OE BMW air filter box – total rubbish.

Retroman's comment is very true, but I were to get one, it would be ITG over the two you mention.

Realised your car probably hasn't got a MAF - but my general comments still apply - these replacement panel filters have tended to be favoured as they allow a slightly louder, "sportier" induction noise

That answers that then. Thanks guys :)

Not quite!
Yes they are some rubbish out there and I'd agree with pipercross being poor but they are some manufacturers such as itg and BMC which are made to very high standards.
BMC are used by most Formula 1 teams and virtually all Moto GP teams.
I have a BMC in my mk 3 Tts and the quality and fit is amazing.
Revo use Itg filters and if you buy there induction kit for the S1 they have dyno tested it and you gain 8 bhp. I've bought the kit and confirm the itg filter is of excellent quality.
The MAF or mass air flow sensor can be affected by the oil but tbh only in very rare cases

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian Whiffen
I think you need to take the cover off your airbox and see the size of the filter that Audi has fitted. You're not telling me that a performance air filter is not going to make the airflow so much better. You don't have to buy an oiled filter, most manufacturers do the dry foam ones. I wouldn't recommend Pipercross as I have one and it's pretty poor quality. Get an ITG or K&N

Reactions: DTYME83
Or you could get the APR induction kit
DTYME83

Reactions: Ian Whiffen
Or you could get the APR induction kit
DTYME83
I would love this but was looking for something I could change back to stock in very little time in case it needs to go back to Audi for any work or services as its on lease.

I would love this but was looking for something I could change back to stock in very little time in case it needs to go back to Audi for any work or services as its on lease.

You really don't need to worry about an induction kit when it comes to servicing but each to there own

DTYME83