Air filter ... What you running ??

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Reaction score
I no this is a touchy subject but here goes ....

i currently run a k&n 57i filter and im upgrading to the 3" MAF as soon as i get a 3 bar FPR and air filter as i just scored a set of saab reds for £22.60 posted :) so the F21 upgrade is closer than i expected, so now i have no air box so need a decent filtration/flowing open filter im tempted to get the AEM dry flow just because its red and will carry on the theme !!

what do you guys run/recommend ????

Never had and problems with my K&N cone. When I go 3" VR6 MAF after Christmas I'll probably just mod it to make it work or use an old RS Turbo cone I have kicking about here and fettle that.

Get rid of it if you want your turbo to survive ! I have replaced a recently rebuilt turbo on a car which ran 10k on a k&N filter, the tips of the compressor blades are very worn and the car was struggling to make boost + had a boost leak type noise ! No play in the bearings whatsoever...

VAG standard air filters are every bit as good as any aftermarket filter in nearly all cases.

195bhp Seat Leon Cupra TDI - Mufflerectomy and ECU Remap - YouTube

I have actually seen the same when I was running my Passat on the dyno , removed the standard filter with 10K miles on it and it made less than 1bhp more on a 200bhp engine.
I will stick with a standard filter.
This is a standard Passat air filter that I opened out just to see how much filter area there is.

Twenty Eight feet long.
I have just changed the air filter on my 3.0 TDI Audi and will try the same trick on that. Manufacturer supplied air filters used to be an issue years ago but these days they really aren't.

I agree, had a piper performance filter, changed it for gen Audi paper filter and car goes better and quieter! Fuel economy is up very slightly too. I also have approx 200bhp.

I'm running a piper cross panel filter been using them for years with no problems

I am with Chris, K&N let a lot more crap through than paper, i don't care what k&N say. Years ago now i did a test on 5 cylinder coupe q that i had, i cleaned out the throttle body so it was spotless ran it for 1000 miles with a paper filter, came out clean as a whistle, then did the same with K&N panel filter in the airbox, the throttle body was noticeably dirtier with the K&N, i have tossed away several k&N filters that were fitted to cars that i have bought as a result

The thing is i have no standard airbox so need a open filter that will do its job im toying with the S2000 air filter mod or the AEM dry flow filter all i need is a air filter as ive picked up a 3.0 bar FPR today from the scrappers i use in oldham.

What cars have 3" MAF's other than the VR6 and S3/TT 225's so i can have a ganders at some filter options !!

What size maf does an s4 or rs4 use? Would if of those give you a bolt on 3" OEM air box?

is it not possible to open out the stock 1.8t box to allow a 3" maf to fit?

It is possible to open it up yes but i dont have one lol, and the s4/rs4 maf mounting is towards the bulkhead and not the bumper !!

I see...

Thinking about it, I know what you mean about the s/rs maf, would be the same as my old 2.8.

I run a Ramair Cone, tucked behind a nice heatshield...

when running its ice cold behind the shield...

I had a ramair on my 1.8 b5 and tbh thought there kits were a bit shabby they supplied a maf adapter plate that would leak air past the welds and also the filter in the kit wouldnt fit the adapter plate !!

Where can i source a heat shield from ??

oh that will be old stuff... its not the kit.. i made that myself.... not that it was much of a kit...

staright silicone tube, direct from MAF to filter.

its the filter itself that is of top quality.. I use them for everything..... they make whatever size, shape i need for throttle bodies, panel filters etc etc..

leagues ahead of most manufactures in terms of filtration and build.

the heatsheild is called Nimbus, you can form it yourself.... get creative... ;-)

Think i may go that route that nimbus stuff aint cheap at £50 for one 615mm x 600mm sheet !!!

i will get look for something to get creative with lol

Hmm what to do ive been toying with the idea of the ramair with some 3" flexible neoprene to a plastic 3" coupler and then the 3" ramair filter tucked right low down near the bumper !! Then i shouldn't really need a heat shield !!

i have though about the honda S2000 filter what diameter is the neck on the S2000 iirc b5quat now runs one on his tt and it slides tightly over the 3" maf !!