Air conditioning service

dieselguy

Reaction score
How important is the air con service? mine is due to be serviced, but I am not sure if its that necessary as it works fine. Not sure if its just a regular reminder by dealers based on timed intervals. Would be grateful for some views.

i got mine done, thing you can end up w/ smells and stuff if it's not kept well maintained. you should also run it regularly even in winter to prevent the seals drying out etc, i'm told.

Reactions: Point_Audi
Don't quote me on this mate, but I think its the Gas which is checked along with looking at the performance of the Air-Conditioning, ie the coldeness! :cool:

I do remember in my old Audi I got it serviced/cleaned and it was a great job as there was some smells when it was on.

But haven't done this with the B8 yet! How many miles do Audi suggest this is looked at?

Im not sure about mileage, mine is 25K miles now and they just called me for a service. Think I'll wait for other things to come up and get it done at the same time.

The cabin air circuit can be "de-bugged" using one of the available "bombs". The system performance will only get checked if you have a fridge manifold set - that should give an overview of system performance. Proper Auto A/C places, will do the above, cheapy places will recover the system charge, and load back the quoted weight of R134a.

I'd expect that the system should be run for a short period every month, though I have not found that written in the owner's handbook - this keeps the system rubber seals wetted with system oil, so saves them drying out and shrinking, well that used to be the logic, maybe better "rubber" is used nowadays. Most newer systems have no clutches so run at a very low duty cycle when not needed, this passes enough R134a and its associated oil round the system to keep the seals wetted.

Small A/C systems, when in service, escape a lot of the dos/don'ts of large systems, and as such are allowed/expected to loose a percentage of R134a per year, this is the main reason for getting it serviced, though maybe wait until you feel that it is not cooling like it used to when new, then get it checked for leaks and recharged.

Warning, I took advantage of a VAG air conditioning check deal, I knew my car's system was still working okay after 8 years, but there was a leaking seal - could see oil weeping out, so explained all that , expecting to pay the special rate + part and labour to replace an easy to reach seal - wrong, I got charged a lot and told the now standard service proved there was no leak! Service person said that I was wrong as you can't see leaking R134a - he was a fool, leaking fridge systems tend to also leak out some system oil when you can see as a stain. Unfortunately I hold an F-Gas full certificate, but at the time did not have quick release fittings or R134a, so paid a professional to do the job - big mistake, I'd say always use proper Auto A/C places, not car main dealers or fast-fit type places.