Air Conditioning Compressor question

Beast535

Reaction score
Hi There

I have a 2006 A4 2.0tdi, the air conditioning does not work. I thought it just needed gassing but when I took it to be gassed they said the system had been done and it had no leaks, but it was not cooling. The garage seemed to think its more than likely the compressor gone. Ive got a new high pressure switch to put on also just in case as ive heard these are common to go faulty. Apart from the compressor and that switch if anything else was faulty the system would be leaking wouldn't it as far as im aware?

Now since then I have took off the compressor as I wanted to change it myself for a second hand one, however, i cannot find that particular one as it seems like its made by some company ive never heard of, and theres none of them for sale anywhere.

However I have seen ones on ebay that are used working denso ones and other better known makes. They look identical same connectors for pipes and electrics, same bolt positions. I was just wondering would this be ok to put on and would it work? I assume there are a number of different companies that make the same compressor for this but I just wanted to check before I buy one.

I'm having the same problem did you check the compressor fuse under passenger footwell

Dont want to sound silly but you have checked its on properly? i got mine back from kwik fit this week and they said the same thing. The lad had put it on "econ" which is why it wasnt working!

I'm having the same problem did you check the compressor fuse under passenger footwell
Yeah ive checked all of them, was the first thing I looked at. ive now bought a second hand compressor that looks identical to mine, same connectors, shape, screw holes ect. hopefully it will fit, the parts catalogue was no help as theres about 10 different ones for that engine. none of which have the part number mine has.

Dont want to sound silly but you have checked its on properly? i got mine back from kwik fit this week and they said the same thing. The lad had put it on "econ" which is why it wasnt working!
Yeah its definately turned on "econ off / light out", im assuming its the seals in the compressor as there is a slight drop in tempreture when its turned on but its very minor.

Just a thought my Mrs complained that her ac wasn't working properly had it checked all was good so I replaced the cabin filter and it was clogged right up now it's working perfectly

Reactions: Beast535
Just a thought my Mrs complained that her ac wasn't working properly had it checked all was good so I replaced the cabin filter and it was clogged right up now it's working perfectly
Hmm I've not checked that and I have heard of them causing ac problems. I'll have a look later thanks :)

Denso compressor if u have BRE engine code I will link u the correct compressor Iv had my changed Evans Halshaw did it
Under warranty after a lot
Of persuasion not to mention they lost my car for 3 hours I was in the dealership shitting myself

I had mine repaired a year ago - I found out it was the Compressors 'clutch' - much cheaper part than replacing the whole piece.

Apparently these are the common fault. If you get someone to press the AC on and you stand outside listen for the click of the clutch - if it doesn't click then new clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk