Air con...

thegoal007

Another S3 owner....
Reaction score
Not sure if this is an issue anyone has experienced or if they know what might be the issue.
I have previously asked about the air con not doing its job good enough to keep me cool during last summer. Even set to Lo, the air was never getting very cold enough to get it nice and cool inside the car.

Now we are in the winter, the car does throw out very cold air...
Just as I was thinking of taking it to Halfords autocentre. They mentioned all they would do is re-gas it, but if it was a low gas issue surely it would not be as cold as it is now.

I think it's just got something to do with the weather.
You see my A3 has got a huge AC gas leak which would be more expensive to fix than the car is worth so as you can imagine, I cba. Whenever I would turn on the AC in the summer it would blow HOT air, same temperature if I were to turn on the heat to the max HOWEVER in the winter it blows out cold air, to an extent.

As silly as it may sound, I think there's some weird phenomenon with the weather that may potentially influence how cold AC blows if we have little to no gas in the system.
If I were you, check the system for any leaks and if non present just go to Halfords for a re-gas!

My heater works but aircon doesn’t just blows air I’ve had it re gassed but didn’t change a thing.. worth a try I guess I haven’t looked more into it as I just drive with the window down in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC will not turn on at all if ambient temp is 5deg or lower

<tuffty/>

our W reg , year 2000 ford fiesta 1.25 zetec can become a fridge whatever the temperature outside with air con.

So Fords were doing far superior air con units around the same time on the Fiesta's!

There are technical reasons why aircon is inactive when ambient temps are too low... one of which prevent freezing of components etc and subsequent damage from that...

Just because Fords allowed it to work in near freezing conditions doesn't mean its right to do so... clearly engineers at VAG decided it a good reason to deactivate it under certain conditions

<tuffty/>

Or, in other words, don't buy an S3 8L in February when it's too cold to test the air con...like some idiot in my mirror did :blush:

Reactions: S.Pellegrino