Air con strange sound on start up/shut down

tele2050

Reaction score
Hello there people,

recently i have noticed this strange noise coming from the Air con, anyone else had something similar?

The warranty expires next month, i have the car booked in for a Air and Fuel filter change this weekend. I will ask Audi to have a look at it. (I'm sure it should be covered under Warranty) But just wanted some kind of advise first on what the problem could be :sign imnew:

From what I hear, it is the MMI operating mechanism on opening and closing.
I thought that at first as well, but then found out when using the MMI screen button(open/close) there is no noise. I then tried turning the Air con off and on, and the noise was there again. :disappointed:

Update: The car has now been booked in for a whole week(end of march), to have it looked at. They said they need to remove the whole dash to be able to look further into it. Hope they can fix the issue before my warranty expires in April :blink:

2nd Update: Car has been with Coventry Audi now since 27/03, they identified there was a problem with one of the "flap motors" within the air con, i think that's what he said :expressionless: anyways, he said he will have to order the part and replace with the faulty one. no cost to me as it was covered under warranty. Part didn't arrive as expected in the same week, today morning i got a call to say they had received the part and they will try and get the car ready for collection later on today.

Now i just got a call again, to ask about if i was aware of any stone chips on my windscreen, i said there was one very small crack which had already been repaired before i purchased the car. He then goes there seem to be 2 other stone chips on the middle of windscreen and one of them has just caused a CRACK! :wtf:
I told him i was very certain there was no stone chips on the windscreen beforehand (i know because i gave the car a hand wash myself on 26/03)

I have now been told, they will get the car ready for tomorrow and they are advising me to come down and see the windscreen crack for myself!

How do i go about with this? :sos: any advise would be appreciated.
They have had to car for 10 days now, and today, when i was supposed to collect the car they call and tell me there is a crack and they can't take any responsibility for it.

That crack could have been caused by the removal and refitting of the dash and that procedure put stress on existing stone chips on the windshield, which resulted in a crack.

Reactions: tele2050
Don't accept the crack, coincidence how it has cracked with them working so closely to the screen for a period of time.

It might have been chipped, but it was not cracked until they influenced a crack. Ask to check their sign in damage form, did they note a chip in the windscreen? No? The car went in without damage and came out damaged, simple as.

It's possible that an existing chip could crack as the body flexes if the car has been lifted on a ramp at any point of their investigation too.

Thanks for the responses guys. I am definitely not going to accept the crack, as i know very much for sure that, there was no stone chips before giving it to them.(except the one which was repaired before i bought the car) Bought the car last year April(Stratford Audi)

I haven't picked the car up yet, as once again I'm told its not ready yet and they are working on it as we speak(this it what i was told while on the phone to them earlier today)

Going there tomorrow after work, hopefully it should be ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta
Thanks for the responses guys. I am definitely not going to accept the crack, as i know very much for sure that, there was no stone chips before giving it to them.(except the one which was repaired before i bought the car) Bought the car last year April(Stratford Audi)

I haven't picked the car up yet, as once again I'm told its not ready yet and they are working on it as we speak(this it what i was told while on the phone to them earlier today)

Going there tomorrow after work, hopefully it should be ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could also say in that case, Audi repaired the screen before you purchased it and saw it as a sufficient repair to stop the screen from cracking and now the screen has cracked (if they still refuse them influencing it). The repair was insufficient and the chip led to a crack ultimately, it was bought in that condition and they should honour the repair seeing as their first one wasn't up to the job. IMO.