Air Con Smell

redspudder

Sparky
Reaction score
I noticed the other day my air con is starting to smell,the description i have of the smell is sick or sweaty feet if that makes sense.Now ive not used it over the winter and with the recent warm weather i've started using it again could the filter need changing?I would'nt expect this smell from a car thats only 18months old with 12K on the clock anyone else having these problems or any solutions? I have in the past on my old B6 had a problems with the air con and used car plan air con cleaner but i didnt rate it and i really dont want to be spraying something like this around the car.

Thanks

Andy

I noticed the other day my air con is starting to smell,the description i have of the smell is sick or sweaty feet if that makes sense.Now ive not used it over the winter and with the recent warm weather i've started using it again could the filter need changing?I would'nt expect this smell from a car thats only 18months old with 12K on the clock anyone else having these problems or any solutions? I have in the past on my old B6 had a problems with the air con and used car plan air con cleaner but i didnt rate it and i really dont want to be spraying something like this around the car.

Thanks

Andy
Secret is to leave it on 24/7 worst thing you can do is to switch off over winter.

Bactiera build up, they love it in there.

Get a bac blast cleaning kit its just a can of spray, put it on recirculate, put it on full blast, stick it in your carcan in foot well, press the button and it jams in, leave it for 15 mins, and it kill all bacteria and leaves a nice smell.

Or do what i did and take it too audi under warrenty and they did it for me. FOC

The bacteria thing is only part of the issue if you turn it off over winter.

All the rubber seals can dry up and then you eventually get leaks. I think the manual says to run it at least monthly.

To be honest mines on all year : cooling in summer* and demisting in winter.

* - except today as I fancied some open air motoring ;)

Audi ran a can of that cleaning stuff through my car when the water pump failed the other month.

Smelled great for 2 months, now the air-con is back in use and the temp is up, its smelling again...... :(

Yup same, i noticed this yesterday. Mines has only done 10K and is just over a year old.

Would it be worth taking back to audi?

Thanks for the replies fellas,can i just ask though you are telling me to leave the air con on over winter so when its baltic outside you have the temp set to hi and still running through the air con? Surely this is defeating the object and MPG would go down???Also i have used the can of spray in the past on my old B6 and didnt rate it think ill contact Audi next week im sick of going to that place seems im there every few weeks with one thing or another its tarnishing the Audi experience

Winter - yes. I pulls all the humidity out of the air so you avoid misting up or you get instant demisting if you put it on. I think the front windscreen demist button flips it on?

MPG - possibly but it's a much more comfortable environment.

This has occurred occasionally with every Audi I've had with air-conditioning and I've always fixed it by:

(1) Make sure the engine is fully warmed up and running.
(2) Switch air-conditioning on and wind the temperature all the way UP to MAX.
(3) Swelter like a pig for about five minutes.
(4) Wind the temperature all the way DOWN to MIN.
(5) Freeze like a penguin's feet for five minutes.
(6) Reset your temperature to something more comfortable.

This works for me; even if it doesn't end up working for you, at least it's free and doesn't involve taking anything apart.