Air Con Service

Pganders

Reaction score
Hi,

My A3 Sportback is going in for its first service next week - two years old with 12000 miles. The service dept have quoted me £79 additional work to service the Air Con. Must admit I've never had this done on previous cars and am wondering visit really necessary or just a ruse by the dealer to extract more money out of me (btw I have a service plan with the car but this work is quoted as not covered).

Has anybody had any experience of this being offered at their service?

Thanks

Personally I wouldn't bother with a car that's only 2 years old. I'm not sure I've ever had an air con service done in any of my cars and I don't think I was any worse off because of it.

There shouldn't be any work necessary on a 2 year / 12K miles car.
BTW - if you are only doing 6K per year, shouldn't you be on fixed servicing and had a service after 1 year, that's what I'm on.

Hi and thanks for your replies.

Think I'm going to give the Air Con service a miss - seems totally unnecessary and only a money maker for the dealer.

Good point there RichardT - hadn't thought of that and I'll have a word with them when it's in.

Thanks

Modern day R134a is much "leaker" than the previous refrigerant found in cars (R12) so it's not a bad idea to spend £80 to get the system vaccum'd evacuated, and refilled.

There is no other way of checking that you've got the correct amount of refrigerant in the system.
Also ask if the price includes an anti bacterial clean of the evaporator, as this is where you'll feel the most benefit.

So while in older cars you didn't have to get your air con serviced regularly, with R134a there is a need. Your system will almost certainly be running less efficiently after 2 years.

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/...intenance/air-conditioning-service-offer.html
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/air-conditioning/
http://www.stokeaudi.co.uk/owners/air-conditioning

R134a is being phased out by HFO1234yf, but some car makers (Mercedes) are kicking up a fuss about this, fighting Europe (interesting) on the grounds of safety and flammability. It produces a nice intense fireball when ignited, Mercedes are refusing to use this, but the EU are mandating it because it doesn't cause as many holes in the Ozone layer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wondering Soul
Hi and thanks for your replies.

Think I'm going to give the Air Con service a miss - seems totally unnecessary and only a money maker for the dealer.

Good point there RichardT - hadn't thought of that and I'll have a word with them when it's in.

Thanks

If you have a service contract, is it for (say) 3 years (mine is). If so you have missed out on a service and they should add one to the end.

Good points from vee8 about the aircon. Didn't realise that. If it's so important to get the aircon serviced, why isn't it part of the service schedule?

I would have the CC serviced if I was you as you will end up with smelly air vents at the very least, or refrigerant that is either contaminated, low or lowered it's lubrication ability.

I'd have it done, as they give a good clean out and decontaminate it, as well as re-gas it - like anything it needs a service. Amazing how unhygenic they can get over the years, but didn't realise that Audi suggest it every 2 years, on Ford's it's recommended every 3 years. So £79 for peace of mind that it's all clean - I'd personally do it.

had mine done today at kwikfit, £49
system was just over 50% full, still worked fine but serviced regardless!
no leaks either, if there is a leak kwikfit wont charge!
just another option for you!

Thanks, I never realised air con was such a risk!

Think now on balance I'll get it done - seems worthwhile from your comments and also from RichardT's comments will have a serious word with the service manager.