Air con re-gas - I was impressed

Retroman

Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)
Reaction score
With the weather getting a bit warmer, I thought I’d get my air-con serviced. It’s been working OK but I haven’t had it re-gassed since April 2015. I changed the cabin/pollen filter (Mann £8.52) over the weekend and got it re-gassed at a local garage today (special offer £45) where I chatted to the mechanic doing it, as I went down early and they didn’t seem that busy.

These machines are basically “plug and play”. They tell the machine what make/model is being serviced and plug into the two ports. The machine conducts a pressure/leak test and then “recovers” the existing gas and any other fluids which shouldn’t be in the system. It then re-gasses up to the required capacity and adds a small amount of lubricant.

My system was fine but they extracted 369g of gas and refilled with the required capacity of 525g.

The thing that impressed me was that, despite the general recommendation to get a re-gas every 2-years as a system (used or unused) is said to lose around 10-15% every year, mine had only reduced by just under 30% in 7-years! This must be a testament to the quality of the air con systems in these Audis.:welcoming::welcoming:

Reactions: Sandra
They all last a good few years whichever car you have. The trick is to have the A/C switched on when driving as much as you can, even in winter. If the A/C isn't used for long periods of time, the O rings in the system connectors dry up and rot and leak the refrigerant gas. The oil in the system keeps O rings supple and if it not pumped round with the gas it can't dampen the O rings It's a case of Use it or Loose it.
My cousin bought a new MB A180 3 years ago and the A/c stopped working within a year for this reason, I did tell him to use the A/C regularly but he had read using A/C in cars used more 10% petrol, it usually 5% but he opened the windows when it was warm which uses about 10% more petrol. He wouldn't have any of my advice and instead went to the main dealer claiming under the waranty and of course they wouldn't do anything.

Reactions: abmat and S3 Rav
Every two years you're supposed to do it apparently. Never done mine and it still seems to work fine.

I’ve had my S3 for 11 yrs now from new and use it every day regardless. It stops the windows steaming up in winter anyway. I had it re-gassed years ago and must admit I’ve not had it done since. May be worth looking into it now as it must be 5 yrs or so since it was last done.

They all last a good few years whichever car you have. The trick is to have the A/C switched on when driving as much as you can, even in winter. If the A/C isn't used for long periods of time, the O rings in the system connectors dry up and rot and leak the refrigerant gas. The oil in the system keeps O rings supple and if it not pumped round with the gas it can't dampen the O rings It's a case of Use it or Loose it.
My cousin bought a new MB A180 3 years ago and the A/c stopped working within a year for this reason, I did tell him to use the A/C regularly but he had read using A/C in cars used more 10% petrol, it usually 5% but he opened the windows when it was warm which uses about 10% more petrol. He wouldn't have any of my advice and instead went to the main dealer claiming under the waranty and of course they wouldn't do anything.
A3 8P does not have a magnetic clutch for the A/C pump. It's always turning even when off