Air Con problem Hot Air

brad9753

Reaction score
hi all,
Just having a problem with my air con (2013 A3). A few weeks ago I turned it on for the first time in a while. The red light on the button would not come on. I assumed it the air con has was empty so I had it toped up.
Turns out it was empty. The red light then came on as normal. After the fill up the air con was fine.
A few days later I used it again. I noticed it took a little longer to get cold than normal but thought nothing of it.
Today, a very hot day, the fans were just blowing out hot air. The red light stays on as expected though. Unlike before I get it re gassed. So no idea what the matter is.
I had “eco” on the dash. I switched it off with no luck.
The air con doesn’t seem to engage, you can usually hear it when it does.
Has anybody had a similar issue?

mine had similar issues but the light wouldn't stay on. My compressor needed changing due to a stone hitting it and damaging it. Common problem for the A3. cost me near £800 to fix! nightmare!

did you get the system pressure tested when it was re-filled? if it was a leak then it wouldn't hold pressure and the garage shouldn't have re-fileld it. thats what happened with me.

Reactions: brad9753
No idea if they checked that. I just had it re filled, it seemed to work fine and so didn’t really think about it!

Why turn it off, leave it on all the time and adjust the temperature to suit conditions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: KenL
mine had similar issues but the light wouldn't stay on. My compressor needed changing due to a stone hitting it and damaging it. Common problem for the A3. cost me near £800 to fix! nightmare!

did you get the system pressure tested when it was re-filled? if it was a leak then it wouldn't hold pressure and the garage shouldn't have re-fileld it. thats what happened with me.
So did you get the gas topped up? With the leak? Did this turn the red light on temporarily?

So did you get the gas topped up? With the leak? Did this turn the red light on temporarily?

I tried, but the garage did a pressure test before which apparently is procedure. the system wouldnt hold pressure and you could hear a massive hissing noise behind the bumper near the bottom left of the radiator which apparently is the compressor. before it completely stopped working, the light used to stay on for around 1-2mins and then go off. I guess as it slowly released the gas it would sometimes hold pressure until eventually all the gas had gone. The ECON button has nothing to do with the light turning on or off for the aircon.

I was like you, thinking & hoping it would be something other than the compressor, I posted on here asking the same questions as you, replies all pointed to the compressor! I didn't believe anyone until the garage physically showed me it! not saying this is 100% your problem but your symptoms are the same as mine and many on here....

I tried, but the garage did a pressure test before which apparently is procedure. the system wouldnt hold pressure and you could hear a massive hissing noise behind the bumper near the bottom left of the radiator which apparently is the compressor. before it completely stopped working, the light used to stay on for around 1-2mins and then go off. I guess as it slowly released the gas it would sometimes hold pressure until eventually all the gas had gone. The ECON button has nothing to do with the light turning on or off for the aircon.

I was like you, thinking & hoping it would be something other than the compressor, I posted on here asking the same questions as you, replies all pointed to the compressor! I didn't believe anyone until the garage physically showed me it! not saying this is 100% your problem but your symptoms are the same as mine and many on here....
It certainly sounds the same!
Was this a main dealer price?

Was this a main dealer price?

To be fair, im in Switzerland at the mo so my price of £800 could be inflated as most things here are mrore expensive than the UK. I also have the extended warranty and they told me no way! I would google or search the forum for any price advice. Oh and no it wasn't dealer price, it was a small local garage. Dealer here wanted over £1k to do it.

Condenser damage from road debris is very common. It's been widely reported on the A3 as an issue. However, it's not just an A3 problem.

The condenser needs to sit at the front of the car and get good air-flow. By design, it is necessarily fragile and cannot go behind the radiator/intercooler, so must go as far forward as possible behind the bumper/grille.

Every car with air con I've ever had before has had the system fail due to condenser damage as a result of stones/bolts/road debris.It's just a fact of life with vehicle air con.

Blimey you've been very unlikely then as every car I have owned with A/C since 1993 has never had one failure and has only needed a regular service and refill...

Reactions: Phutters
OK so my car has just gone in for the suspected compressor. Turns out it isnt that and its the small metal tube coming out of it thats cracked. My previous posts made it seem like it had already been done so I apologise for that. The garage was so adamant it was that because the compressor looks pretty bad but it turns out its just flies, I just went along with the compressor diagnostic, especially as its a known A3 trait. Anyway, good luck. here are some pics to show which tube. Should be cheaper now but not entirely sure how much. Ill report back with the price I pay on Monday.

FullSizeRender 6
FullSizeRender 1

OK so my car has just gone in for the suspected compressor. Turns out it isnt that and its the small metal tube coming out of it thats cracked. My previous posts made it seem like it had already been done so I apologise for that. The garage was so adamant it was that because the compressor looks pretty bad but it turns out its just flies, I just went along with the compressor diagnostic, especially as its a known A3 trait. Anyway, good luck. here are some pics to show which tube. Should be cheaper now but not entirely sure how much. Ill report back with the price I pay on Monday.

View attachment 155169 View attachment 155170
Hi how much did you pay for this? What garage did you use? Main Dealer?

Regards

Hi
I got problem with AC too I press button and blinks and goes off nothing happens.. :(

Holed condenser, I bet.
I don't know I have purchased it like that seller said just regas it .. I have purchased this green can with gauge (pics below) then when I received it I checked it and realised it is not regas but just stop leak .. so I ve sent it back .. And correct can is blue ..
But then I realised like crap , why I sent it back I should've use that stop leak and then buy the blue can actual regas .. the process is very simple ..
It just needs open upper valve (3rd pic) and attach gauge hose pipes with can and send gas in ...
The condenser is brand new

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 221
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_20190621_204150.jpg
    IMG_20190621_204150.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
I don't know I have purchased it like that seller said just regas it .. I have purchased this green can with gauge (pics below) then when I received it I checked it and realised it is not regas but just stop leak .. so I ve sent it back .. And correct can is blue ..
But then I realised like **** , why I sent it back I should've use that stop leak and then buy the blue can actual regas .. the process is very simple ..
It just needs open upper valve (3rd pic) and attach gauge hose pipes with can and send gas in ...

I would probably avoid that stop leak. It’s one of those things that could gunk up the whole system and end up costing a fortune to sort.
If there’s a hole in the condenser there’s nothing out a can that will fix the hole.
Best to get it vacuum tested by someone with an air con machine. That way you know if there’s a hole or if it just needs to be gassed up. Even go to kwik fit and get them to gas it. They have a guarantee that if it doesn’t drop the cabin temps you don’t have to pay anything. Any air con machine will do a vacuum test to stop it wasting precious gas.

Reactions: Phone Tech and cuke2u
But then I realised like **** , why I sent it back I should've use that stop leak and then buy the blue can actual regas .. the process is very simple ..

As a side note, is that your foto? your coolant looks low and you have cristalisation around the outside of the resevoir. Have you had a coolant leak? not wanting to worry you!

Definitely avoid the stop-leak, it will not fix a hole in the condenser.

If you flood your system with stop-leak, no air conditioner service shop will work on your car anymore as the stop-leak clogs up their recovery machines. Costs a fortune to clean up, if you get asked and you don't tell them you have stop-leak, they could invoice you for clogging their machine up.

Reactions: AlS3BE and cuke2u
Hi
Guys no the radiator is new so probably they didn't bother regas it..
I already booked for regas next Saturday just £30 pounds
So hopefully I'll be all ok

Hi
Guys no the radiator is new so probably they didn't bother regas it..
I already booked for regas next Saturday just £30 pounds
So hopefully I'll be all ok

That’s cheap for a regas. Make sure it’s the correct gas. Newer Audi’s use hfo-1234y and not r134a.

That’s cheap for a regas. Make sure it’s the correct gas. Newer Audi’s use hfo-1234y and not r134a.
yeah they know they re not dodgy as I have seen inside ambulance van for repair.. guy decent normal skilled behaviour
I went to halfords and when I asked for regas they told me I will pay £80 fkin ripoffs.
NO I have still r134a mine audi is 2015 january so definitely made in 2014

Yeah sorted
NOw I have nicely working AC just for £30 :)